LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to clean a Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 08:33 PM

Thumbs up How to clean a Radiator

Well I finally found some cleaning instructions for radiators.
Originally Posted by Griffin Radiators
  1. Avoid making any of the radiator mounts solid. Never mount two opposing sides solid as sustained vibration and chassis flex will damage the radiator.
  2. Always support the bottom of the radiator from under the tanks only. Do not support the radiator by any part of the core as this can damage the fins or coolant tubes.
  3. Any radiator with the cap on the top of the tank is built to be installed with the tanks vertical. Leaning the top of the radiator back tends to reduce low speed air flow, and leaning the top of the radiator forward will increase low speed air flow. Regardless of mounting angle, any time that the filler neck and cap are below the highest point in the system, a surge tank or a means of venting the system at the high point should be installed. WARNING - DO NOT RUIN YOUR NEW RADIATOR BY IMPROPER FILLING!

It is very important that your engine be completely full of water at all times. Aluminum radiators must NOT be subjected to pressure surges that result from air pockets in the engine. When air surrounds a cylinder or an area next to a combustion chamber, the metal becomes extremely hot. Then, when the water circulates and comes in contact with the hot metal, a volume of steam is produced that is larger than the pressure cap can release. The resulting pressure bulges the tubes in the radiator, and greatly reduces the air flow and cooling capacity. It may be necessary to raise the front of the car when filling the radiator in order to get all the air out of the system.

CLEANING:
Accumulation of rubber, dirt and speedy dry in the fins of the radiator will drastically reduce it's ability to cool efficiently. The following steps are the best way that we have found to remove this debris:
  1. Remove the radiator from the car.
  2. Place a piece of plywood or cardboard on the floor that is at least as large as the radiator.
  3. Hold the radiator 8 to 10" above the board parallel to the floor with all the fittings facing up.
  4. Drop the radiator so that it lands on the board flat on the tanks only. Make sure there are no other objects on the floor before dropping.
  5. Dump the debris from the board and repeat this procedure until no debris comes out.
  6. Wash the fins by laying the radiator flat on the floor and dumping hot soapy water through the fins; then rinse with clean water.
  7. Do not use high pressure water or air to clean out the fins as it may bend them over. Bent fins may be individually straightened with a toothpick.
I tried a garden hose from behind with little success. After it dried however, slight taps on the ends of the core and end tanks brought a "rain" of pebbles. I could build a sand-pit out of the stuff that kept dropping. The nice part about the F-body radiator being tilted back so much is that I don't have to remove the radiator to do this remedial cleaning... just popping off the fans is probably enough.

GM's HUGE AC condensor in front of the rad... essentially it's a giant bug screen. Looking at it from underneath (i.e. the front of the condensor) it looks like fur... WAY too much sticks and pine needles jammed up in there.

The tapping and soapy water probably won't work for the condensor... so I'll probably have to resort to the second method I found mentioned online.... a brush. VERY carefully.... brush in the same direction as the fins. Do NOT go side to side or the fins will bend and cut off air flow. considering how slow and deliberate this cleaning has to be... I'll be useing a LARGE brush, with soft nylon bristles.

Griffin has a nice tip on repairing the fins if they do get tweaked on the outside surface... wooden toothpick. NEVER use a knife, screwdriver, or any metal to "fix" fins... they are super-thin, soft aluminum and you can puncture the tube itself if you're not careful.

If you do puncture a tube, the GM Service Manual has repair procedures in it, but essientially it invovles placing epoxy over a small hole, or if it's too extensive, clamping the tube shut on either side of the hole and filling the hole with epoxy (yes, there will be no fluid flow through that whole tube anymore). There are reccomendations in the manual about how many tubes can be pinched shut without problems, but it isn't many.

Last edited by Steve in Seattle; 07-30-2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:39 PM

Re: How to clean a Radiator

Or you could pull the tanks and rod it...
Old 07-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

Ya CAN'T clean it in the back yard. Take it to a shop and have it vatted and pressure checked.

The AC can be cleaned with compressed air.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Steve in Seattle

Griffin has a nice tip on repairing the fins if they do get tweaked on the outside surface... wooden toothpick. NEVER use a knife, screwdriver, or any metal to "fix" fins... they are super-thin, soft aluminum and you can puncture the tube itself if you're not careful.

If you do puncture a tube, the GM Service Manual has repair procedures in it, but essientially it invovles placing epoxy over a small hole, or if it's too extensive, clamping the tube shut on either side of the hole and filling the hole with epoxy (yes, there will be no fluid flow through that whole tube anymore). There are reccomendations in the manual about how many tubes can be pinched shut without problems, but it isn't many.
I use a cut-off piece of the coarse side of an old vinyl comb to straighten radiator and condenser fins. You can just "comb" them out (as long as it's not badly crushed).
Old 07-31-2006, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
Ya CAN'T clean it in the back yard. Take it to a shop and have it vatted and pressure checked.

The AC can be cleaned with compressed air.
I assume you're referring to the condensor?

I'm gonna leave it mounted where it is and see if the brush and hose will work. If not I'll have to get an AC shop to do it... maybe get the 134a upgraded while I'm at it.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:26 AM

Thumbs up Re: How to clean a Radiator

Originally Posted by shoebox
I use a cut-off piece of the coarse side of an old vinyl comb to straighten radiator and condenser fins. You can just "comb" them out (as long as it's not badly crushed).
Very nice. I'll keep that in mind... I figured there had to be an easier way than using a single toothpick to straighten a fin edge that folded over.
Old 07-31-2006, 03:36 PM
Banned

They actually sell a "comb" for radiators with 4 different designs on the head.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
They actually sell a "comb" for radiators with 4 different designs on the head.
I know. Mine costs less.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Banned

I know. Mine costs less.
Yep.