LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How difficult are full tune ups? Any advice or step by step instuctions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 10:21 PM

How difficult are full tune ups? Any advice or step by step instuctions?

Ok, I had problems getting fire to the plugs until I replaced the core wire that connects the distributer with the ignition coil. The point in the core wire that makes the connection was serioulsy corroded. It was in very bad shape and my car still seems to lack enough spark bc it is blowing a little bit of black smoke at around 4500 rpm...I knowthat you have to remove the water pump among other things in order to complete a tune up that includes replacing and exposing other primary ignition part such as the ignition module, optispark, coil, and distributer...how difficult is it to accomplish this tune up? Should I replace every unit while I have it apart? Or will replacing the wires and plugs be achievable without removing the water pump and still give it a little more life?

I've only owned this car for 2 months, but I know my way around small block chevy's...I just don't want to get in over my head!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:27 PM

i'll be watching this post also myself!
Old 12-18-2006, 10:40 PM

There is no need to remove the WP enless you want to replace the cap/rotor or Opti.If you replace the cap/rotor might as well just replace the Opti depending on the miles.The water pump might not be bad idea either.

This will be easist up on some jack stands.As the only thing you can do from you top is change some of the plugs.The drivers side is the quick side to do.Not a whole lot of stuff in the way.Plugs 1-3 from up top 5-7 from below.The passenger side is the bitch.Plug 2 remove the alternator # 4 from up top.Plugs 6-8 from the bottom enless you have some skinny arms the you might be able to remove from the top.If doing from the bottom unbolt the starter(do not forgret to disconnect the battery first) and slide it back on the k-member.You will have enough room to get you arm in there.

The wires on the driver side are cake.The passenger side sucks.It is easier to unbolt the PS for more room to work.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:22 PM

My mileage is around 95 000 miles I dont have tons of $$$ to throw around so unless someone thinks that its absolutely crucial I'd kinda like to just get the wires and plugs and still get a little more life outta the opti, distributer and other modules...What is the PS on the passenger side that will allow more room to connect spark wires...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:25 AM

Ya, the pulley for the power steering is right next to the opti/wires on the pass side. The stock routing on that side is really weird too. The wires go around the pump and under the alt and all over the place. The drivers side just kinda hangs there.

The factory exhaust is what makes changing plugs/wires so hard. Its in the way no matter what you do. If I were doing it again and could afford it I would do headers at the same time, just because it is honestly that much easier.

The first time you do this it will be a nightmare. But after that it gets much easier. Just dive in, then it will get better.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by matsgrn95z28
Ok, I had problems getting fire to the plugs until I replaced the core wire that connects the distributer with the ignition coil. The point in the core wire that makes the connection was serioulsy corroded. It was in very bad shape and my car still seems to lack enough spark bc it is blowing a little bit of black smoke at around 4500 rpm...I knowthat you have to remove the water pump among other things in order to complete a tune up that includes replacing and exposing other primary ignition part such as the ignition module, optispark, coil, and distributer...how difficult is it to accomplish this tune up? Should I replace every unit while I have it apart? Or will replacing the wires and plugs be achievable without removing the water pump and still give it a little more life?

I've only owned this car for 2 months, but I know my way around small block chevy's...I just don't want to get in over my head!

OK I would like to welcome you to camaroz28.com. I would also sujest adding a sig with basic car info for further trouble shooting problems you may have. It will make it easier for us to help you. Also the Opti is the distributor.

At 95k miles I would keep the opti and start out small. You said your getting some black smoke. That will happen no matter what as stock lt1's run a little bit on the rich side and is nothing to worry about. The fact that you are getting spark tells me that your Ignition control module is fine. I would replace the plugs with ngk tr55's. I would also get a nice set of plug wires. The cheap ones break down faster. When changing the plugs remember to use some anti seze on the threads to prevent them from "welding" themselves to the aluminum heads. Also on the plug wires use some dieeletric grease to prevent corrosion.

If changing the plugs and wires do not fix the problem then change the coil. Its only 15 bucks. But I do not believe that you have any problems with the ICM or the Opti.

oneslowz28
Old 12-19-2006, 09:08 AM

Thanks for the advice! Slowly the more I'm exposed to this cars parts and how they are tightly put together I begin to be less intimidated by all the fancy part names...Anyhow I appreciate all the helpful pointers and good advice, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:09 AM

I agree with the above poster as well, start off small. Throw in some fresh plugs and wires, the plugs may be pretty fouled up by now and if they are the originals, I am willing to bet they are most likely missing the platinum plugs giving them a gap of almost double. The NGK TR-55s are a great way to go or a fresh set of Delco platinums will work. As for the wires, you have many options, MSD, Taylor, stock replacement,ect.