LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how difficult is a tune up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:37 PM

Re: how difficult is a tune up?

In that case I'll probably just have the guy that is going to put my headers in install my spark plugs too.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:43 PM

Just do it yourself. Independence from high priced mechanics is bliss. Granted you get cutup, dirty, tired, frustrated. It is all worth it in the end.

I suggest having a friend help, it makes time go by faster. Just make sure its someone who is motivated.

Plus they can laugh at you when you drop a socket wrench on your face.

- Z28WannaB

Originally Posted by blind527
A dealer here quoted me 900 bucks to do a tune up, and that didn't include the opti...

It was a total rip off.

I don't know how to change the plugs, I don't have the tools such as gappers etc. I also dont' know how to take the spark plug out of the wire that screws in.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 PM

I actually do not know very much about working on cars but I have no problems with doing a tune up.
Basically remove a spark plug put the new one in with some anti-seize(w/ proper gap). Remember to label all of the wires just in case.

Thermostat is a serious no brainer(for a 95 Z28) Air filter no brainer, and fuel filter no brainer(just remember to release the fuel pressure and be prepared to catch the excess fuel that is going to come out.

I can not change my passenger side plugs due to the lack of space. And my forearms will not fit into the small spaces. That is what makes things hard for me, it is easy to read the Haynes Manual but my arm size works against me when I am under the hood.

learn from my mistakes though...Label everything.
Old 03-13-2005, 02:31 PM

My problem is actually getting the spark plug out. The intake manifold seems to get in the way after i press in that little tab to take the thing off. Any suggestions on how to get it off.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:54 PM

I can't speak for other years, but my stone stock 94 was a really project to replace the plug wires. The moron designers run them between the block and the accessories mount on the passenger side. I made it a little easier by cutting the ends off the old wires to get them out, but the new ones required much patience and yelling at God through my garage roof. Took about 7 to 8 hours for plugs and wires the first time I did it.
I just replaced the plugs last week and the only one that required loud prayer was the number 2. Front plug on the passenger side. Its like brail finding it and lining up the new plug. So figure on laying on yer engine with your eyes closed "visualising" the hole and angle of the plug and using just your finger tips to get the threads started. ...and oh yes alot of loud yelling and spitting.
Do the driver side from under the car and the passenger side while laying on the engine. Be prepared to lose a pounds of skin and bodily fluids. If you have fat arms...forget it!! WHY DID THEY DESIGN IT LIKE THAT...oh don't get me started.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:11 PM

Becoming a true LT1 or LS1 owner is doing the spark plugs for the first time. Luckily I had access to the lift at my shop, but it still took me about 4 hours. The hardest thing was accessing the first plug on the passenger side, just underneath the alternator. Had I known how to get the plug in at what correct angle, I could have cut that time in half. Oh well, first timer blues.

I couldn't agrue, though. It really isn't that bad if you have the patience and the right tools. It will save you a ton of money and the performance of your engine will benefit highly!