LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how to disable the aigbag light ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 05:41 PM

how to disable the aigbag light ?

after i crashed my car at the drag strip im not gonna bother putting airbags back in... i have to take out the gauge cluster to re&re my dash .. and was wondering chich wire to cut or how to disable the airbag warning light

thanx

ps. the car has a 5 point cage and 5 point harnesses .. no need for airbags (before all of u start getting concerned )
Old 05-12-2003, 05:49 PM

You moron...

Just pull the dummy light out!! Why are you even wasting webspace asking such a dumb question?? It's almost as bad as all those hooker muffler vs flowmaster muffler threads. Dude i'll drive over and pull your dummy light out and put it on your forehead.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:51 PM

Remove the glovebox, then pull out the BCM on the right. It's a shiny box. Cut the thick brown wire. Done.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by madwolf
Remove the glovebox, then pull out the BCM on the right. It's a shiny box. Cut the thick brown wire. Done.
But duuuude... Why? It's so much easier and less messier to just pull the dummy light out. Plus if you even decide to fix it up again and re&re the airbags then the only thing holding you back is a .35 cent light bulb. Eeh?
Old 05-12-2003, 05:56 PM

You mean pull the bulb from the cluster? Easier? You gotta be kidding me... What I just said is a 5 minute job and if you need the bags again, connect the 2 ends together with some electrical tape and you're done.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:03 PM

Originally posted by NiteRider
Dude i'll drive over and pull your dummy light out and put it on your forehead.
you do that

i've never seen the back of a cluster .. so i dont know how easy / hard it is to take the bulbs out

wolfie: what does the B in BCM stand for ? Bag control module ?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:07 PM

Well it will take several hours to do it that way. The hard part is taking the cluster out.

I took out the glovebox the first time I did it and it took just a few minutes more because there's a couple bolts holding it in place. But the second time when I went to connect the wires back together, I managed to get it out of my way without taking out the bolts. Real easy to do.

Wire is brown and marked B1. It's located on one of the 4 ends of the connector.

Plus, if you don't want to cut it, you can just take it out of the connector. Will take a little more time, but still way less than taking the cluster out.

BCM = Body Control Module
Old 05-12-2003, 06:10 PM

Also, remember to disconnect the negative battery terminal and let the car sit for about 20 minutes before doing this.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:11 PM

Payam joun, the the cluster idea is better, mark my words. This way you'll get to see the back of your cluster. This way you could also pull your ABS light.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:13 PM

Why not just take the whole freaking cluster out while you're at it? This way you can have some neat wires hanging out of there and everyone will think you're a geek.

Just kidding....
Old 05-12-2003, 06:19 PM

Originally posted by madwolf
Why not just take the whole freaking cluster out while you're at it? This way you can have some neat wires hanging out of there and everyone will think you're a geek.

Just kidding....
Listen wolfie.. The cluster is probably the easiest thing to take off. Why don't you go give it a try?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:21 PM

Beleive it or not, I've taken the cluster out maybe 8 or 10 times. It will take much more time to do it that way.

The ABS INOP wire is right next to the airbag light on the BCM connector. B2, light green wire.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:28 PM

Ok that's enough, go ahead, butcher your car like a slab of fillet minot!!!

Payam just do it via your cluster, don't listen to wolfie.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:31 PM

OK OK, let's see what you're gonna say when he cracks his dash cover trying to take that thing out.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Banned

except for the fact that he says he will have to pull the cluster to repair the dash. just pull the light bulb, they just twist out.

EDIT: im thinking that the flat piece is already broken from the wreck. and besides, if you are careful you wont bust it. i took my cluster out many times, and the last time i did it, i was in a rush and cracked it slightly, you cant even tell its cracked

Last edited by thewinner; 05-12-2003 at 06:36 PM.

Quick Reply: how to disable the aigbag light ?