LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How do MAC mufflers flow compared to...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 11:16 AM

How do MAC mufflers flow compared to...

I have to replace my Mac Flowpath muffler (loose baffles ). I talked to a performance shop and they told me Mac mufflers are not in the same class as Flowmaster, Dynomax, Borla, etc.. Do Mac's not flow as well as these??? I always thought they were supposed to be pretty good!! I love the sound they produce. Some others I've heard are too loud and tinny for my taste!! So basically I'm wondering how they flow compared to other performance mufflers!!! Thanks!!
Old 06-07-2003, 11:22 AM

Same thing happened to a buddy of mine with a MAC cat-back. POS.

Anyway, have a look at some of the 'straight through' type mufflers out there. No baffles, you can see right through them. I believe Dynomax and Magnaflow both make this type of muffler. There are others, I'm sure.. none coming to mind at the moment.

I have the Random Tech cat-back with that type of muffler. DEEP compared to the Flowlessmaster I replaced. No popping anymore either.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:42 AM

Does the Dynomax Ultraflow produce a nice low rumble without the tinny - raspy sound??
Old 06-07-2003, 11:54 AM

I haven't heard the Dynomax specifically, just my Random Tech and a Corsa (they have straight through as well). No tinny nonsense, nice and deep at idle. It does get loud at WOT, but there's no excess racket associated with that or when decelerating.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:18 PM

I had my Flowpath muffler for 3 years and e-mailed Mac and complained because of broken deflection plates, he told me to send it back and he would see what they could do.I also told him my friends called it a rattle box and if anyone askes Iwould tell them it's a Mac piece of sh%t, I said that was Bs that my car had to have all that down time that if that was the best they could do i'll just replace it with a Flowmaster. "oh don't do that " we out flow them and borla by over 100 cfm. That is what he said. Then he told me to send him a digital pic of the muffler on my car and they would send me a replacement. I got it three weeks later. and i noticed they quit grinding the welds where they put in those deflection plates. it's been about a year so far so good. Just tell them how embarrasing it is when you go to hang out or go to shows. my $.02
Old 06-08-2003, 12:13 PM

I love my MAC muffler. If they made it in SS I'd buy it again. As it is, I intend to rip it apart when it's cooked (I've had it for 4 years with some minor problems owing to improper mounting) and have a shop build me the same thing with SS. The sound is sweet music with the resonators removed.

As for flow: Well I have a cutout and noticed absolutely no difference at the track between cutout open/ cutout closed. So, I assume they must flow quite well.