LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How do you learn to use LT1 edit software?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 01:04 PM

How do you learn to use LT1 edit software?

I've never really done anything with the tuning of my f-body but I would really like to learn so that I can plug in my laptop and actually know what I'm looking at. How do you learn to use LT1 tuning software like LT1 edit? Is there a book that I can read or a website somewhere? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-23-2004, 02:54 PM

Re: How do you learn to use LT1 edit software?

I want to begin to tune my car aswell. I'm nervous though because I don't want to mess up my car.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:41 PM

I was thinking about this very question.....with LT1Edit and Tunercat ....how does one learn how to use the software? I have the Tunercat software and have no idea how to use it. I'm sure the people that are familiar with it had to pick it up from somewhere.....anyone have any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2004, 07:09 PM

So I guess I'm not the only one with this same issue... ttt!
Old 12-23-2004, 07:56 PM

I am very interested to know this as well.

Brandon
Old 12-23-2004, 08:18 PM

For those with the software, does it allow modification of the transmission's operation? I've heard of a lot of engine tuning, but nothing about playing with the auto's parameters.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:51 PM

well it must be some big secret cause noone's talkin'....spill it peeps...
Old 12-23-2004, 09:18 PM

You just have to read a lot-mostly online. Search/read the computer forum and the internet. LT1_edit has a mailing list you can get on. Some of the stuff gets pretty deep and you have to have a grasp of some basic engine principles to survive.

There are lots of tranny operating changes you can make. There are quite a few tables in the PCM for tranny control.

Take it slow and learn as you go. You can make small changes to easy stuff and not blow up your engine or tranny. Some data logging software to go along with the programming ability is a must, IMO.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:30 PM

Is there any source of info out there that would enable me to learn about tuning and stuff completely from scratch? I really know absolutely nothing when it comes to the computer controlled aspect of cars. I just need a how to guide that is completely basic. Is there anywhere out there that I can find such basic info? I just need something to get me going in the right direction.
Old 12-23-2004, 11:00 PM

Actually, I was just thinking about it and I think I figured out what I am really looking for. What I really want is to just know whats going on inside my engine and know how to interpret the data. Is there any dat aquisition software out there that I could learn how to use and interpret the data that I find? As for the actual tuning, I wouldn't have a problem leaving that to the experts, but I would really like to be able to hook my laptop up to my car and see exactly whats going on in there. I am just frustrated with the lack of knowledge and understanding that I have of these late-model computer controlled cars and I really need a way to see whats going on in there.
Old 12-24-2004, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by BigBird383
Actually, I was just thinking about it and I think I figured out what I am really looking for. What I really want is to just know whats going on inside my engine and know how to interpret the data. Is there any dat aquisition software out there that I could learn how to use and interpret the data that I find? As for the actual tuning, I wouldn't have a problem leaving that to the experts, but I would really like to be able to hook my laptop up to my car and see exactly whats going on in there. I am just frustrated with the lack of knowledge and understanding that I have of these late-model computer controlled cars and I really need a way to see whats going on in there.
You can get Datamaster for your laptop or you can buy Lt1 Scanmaster and hook it up inside your car. Injuneer has a pretty good write-up on the parameters of Scanmaster and the Datamaster website tells you all about how to use it.

Brandon
Old 12-24-2004, 10:17 AM

Is there any software out there that would allow you to actually modify and tune your engines performance, but has a visual display like datamaster? It seems like you have to have a degree in computer sciences to actually modify anything about the way that your car runs. I wish that there was some kind of software out there that was kind of a cross between editing software and data aquisition software. Like if you could use datamaster to log some info and then manipulate the information that was logged, that would be perfect. Is there any software out there like that? Like if you want to manipulate the timing curve or something it would actually look like you are doing that instead of trying to decipher about a million lines of random script?
Old 12-24-2004, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
You just have to read a lot-mostly online. Search/read the computer forum and the internet. LT1_edit has a mailing list you can get on. Some of the stuff gets pretty deep and you have to have a grasp of some basic engine principles to survive.

There are lots of tranny operating changes you can make. There are quite a few tables in the PCM for tranny control.

Take it slow and learn as you go. You can make small changes to easy stuff and not blow up your engine or tranny. Some data logging software to go along with the programming ability is a must, IMO.
Do you have a current link to the mailing list? I used to subscribe to it about two years ago. Recently I've tried to find it but it apears to have vanished. I think editor@topica.com was the last addy, but it's no longer valid. And you're right, there is ALOT of usefull info going on there.
Old 12-24-2004, 02:55 PM

http://www.lt1edit.com/

your probably kicking yourself right now...
Old 12-24-2004, 03:40 PM

Where can i get this software? how much is it? and what do i need to connect my laptop to my car?

Quick Reply: How do you learn to use LT1 edit software?