LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how does aftermarket shifter install w/ reverse lockout?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2003, 07:33 PM

how does aftermarket shifter install w/ reverse lockout?

how does one change shift ***** with an aftermarket unit? what about the enitre shift mechanism? with the reverse lockout feature where you have to pull the shift **** back in order to get the shifter in reverse, how does an aftermarket **** do this (the ones i've seen don't look like they pivot). also, do aftermarket shift mechansims just eliminate this feature?

I'M NOT ASKING FOR A HOW TO CHANGE SHIFT ****...just wondering how they get past the pivoting ****, reverse gear lockout.

thanks for any info
Old 06-05-2003, 02:17 PM

nobody knows how aftermarket shifters function with reverse lockout??
Old 06-05-2003, 03:01 PM
Administrator

What "aftermarket" shifter are you looking at? I don't think anyone makes one for the 4L60E. A couple people have found a way to adapt them though.
Old 06-05-2003, 09:07 PM

sorry, don't think i'm wording my thoughts very well. i am not talking about an auto shifter. on my m6 i have to pull the shift **** (on a pivot) back, to be able to move the stick shift into the reverse slot. i am wondering how aftermarket shifters incorporate the pivoting shifter **** onto their shifters?
Old 06-06-2003, 09:47 AM
Administrator

OK.... what M6 shifter do you have? I had the stocker, a Hurst Comp+ and a Pro 5.0, and none of them had any sort of pivot or lockout for reverse. On the 4th Gen T56, the lockout is provided by the reverse lockout solenoid on the body of the trans. To my knowledge, there is no lockout on the shifter mechanism....
Old 06-06-2003, 12:49 PM

i have a 94 with the stock shifter if that helps. anyways, the reason i asked was because most aftermarket shifters seem normal and don't appear to have a pivoting shift ****, yet mine does. what the hell, is it only my car or what? i know that it will not go into gear unless the know is pulled back and the shifter is then used. it makes sense in that it would keep you from going into reverse when trying to go into fifth, because your natural inclination is to push the shift **** forward going into fifth, not pivoting it back and then pushing it into a forward gear. i sure hope this makes sense, and i really hope i'm not the only one that has this???????
Old 06-06-2003, 01:34 PM

something sounds really funny with your shifter....

The stock shifters have nothing like you describe.. the reverse lockout is built into the transmission and is computer controlled, the driver has no control of the lockout as you have described.

Basically if the car is moving faster than 5mph there is a bar that is extended into the tranny that prevents you from entering the gate where Reverse is located, the 5/6 basically becomes the right most you can push your shifter, period... I've nailed it into 5th hard many many times and have never gone into R...

It sounds like you do NOT have a factory shifter on there... post a picture of it becuase you've sparked a few of our interests on this.

The aftermarket shifters don't have any sorts of reverse lock-out because of the described internal lockout, heck I believe some of them are even getting rid of the travel limiters because of the tranny-built-in ones.