LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to get the most out of the Lt1

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2003, 10:12 PM

Three little words...

Airflow, and Fuel delivery.

Horsepower is often refered to as power, it is not, that is a common misconception. Horsepower is Torque times RPM divided by an integer, And therefore it is Torque that you should be seeking in gobs.

The way an engine makes power is to use air mixed with fuel to push on the piston which turns the crank which spins the flywheel which drives the tranny which spins the driveshaft....You get the point. More air, and more fuel means more power. Thi is the reason more cylinders is better for ease of power delivery. With our V8's, the ideal air to fuel ratio is around 12.5 to 13.5 to one. The key to making more power is to get more air and more fuel in the combustion chamber, and back out again. The first step should be to lose the stock air cleaner assembly...It is a restrictive POS. Replace it with a quality Cold Air intake with close out panel from SLP, Moroso, LG, etcetera. Next, you should add some Tuned long tube headers, like Hooker, ceramic coated, nothing is better, or more efficeint than ceramic coated long tube headers. After you have done these two mods, then start worrying about bottlenecks in the system, like the stock Throttle body(48mm), camshaft, fuel pressure regulator( not really necessary at this stage, but it is cool), proper PCM tuning, the stock length (1.5 ratio stamped)rocker arms and valvesprings, stock catback, and even better plugs and wires. This will allow for maximum airflow without even opening up the heads. This should net, depending on car's baseline, assuming 250rwhp(get it dyno'd first, always) anywhere from 300-400RWHP, done correctly.

If you are still not satisfied, then it is time to talk about bore, stroke, aftermarket stage 2 and 3 heads, and power adders like Nitrous, Super and Turbochargers. That's a lot more fun.

Last edited by HM Murdock; 04-02-2003 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by motox13
if you want to be able to "pull away" from super cars i would suggest having about 1300 hp. the best way to do this would be a twin turbo setup. i think you need to re-evaluate your situation. think about it this way, lt1 camaro: $8,000 lamborghini: $500,000. you have some serious catching up to do. i heard somewhere that there will be a tt kit available soon for do-it-yourselfers, good luck
He said "pull away" not "fly away"
Old 04-02-2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by aggiez28
ther ewere a few small points where id disagre with HM Murdock but that dosnt matter much.

brook
I know most won't agree with how I say to do it, hell, it probobly isn't event he way I will do it with this car. But to make the max HP out of stock displacement/heads, you can't do much better.

I know one point is the catback, but what good does a cat back do with stock cat/cats and manifolds? 1HP? No, it just makes it loud.

But I like loud...

Old 04-02-2003, 10:30 PM

Location: Somewhere between a shotgun barrel, and a blood spatter on the wall.
Well, fine then, how high can I go and be safe? What are the limits. Becuase I woul like to beat cars like vipers, lambos, m3's and ferrari's. I dont care too much about times, but I want to pull on those cars... where should I be at.
A bank, robbing it
and a rubber factory... finding the biggest f!cking slicks out there..
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by ACA Performance
you kidding me right? Average is 10hp

and 1300hp to beat a 500hp exotic car.....lmao
I have never gained 10HP from any catback, or seen others consistantly, other than open Y or true duals. I have personally tried

American Thunder Flowmaster
Borla
SLP TOTL
Cutout
FLowmaster 80 series
and some others.
The one I want to try is Loudmouth, and will be in about a week.

The only one I have ever seen gain more than 10HP consistantly on a stock LT1 is true duals with bullets or no mufflers.

As I said, each car is different. I personally have had, or have seen the dyno results, from many LT1's, and have never seen one average 10HP. Every now and then, there are freaks that do, but I think that is because of lousy QC on the mufflers.

Who says average of 10HP? the manufacturer? Ooo...They say a lot of things. Until I see dyno sheets of before and after, I don't believe them.

Note: This is if you have stock everything.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by aggiez28
actually i was gonna disagree abotu the rockers, if i were hit id go with 1.6 rockers if your not gonna open up the motor. i would also not even wory abotu the throttlebody if your not opening up the motor.

brook
Never did say what length I have, or would recommend, I recomend changiing them out, at least. ANd I have seen severaldyno's of cammed, no heads, LT1's with 48MM and 52MM TB's, and the one thing that always screams at me is that the ones with the larger TB always have a MUCH better power curve after 5K...

I've been dealing with F-bods for a while...