LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How hard is it to rebuild LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 03:57 PM

How hard is it to rebuild LT1?

I did a cam swap a while back and after driving for a few hours I lost oil pressure. It has rod knock and and losses oil pressure once it's warmed up and the power cuts in and out when it's cold. I think it spun a bearing or two. I'm trying to sell it but I doubt anyone would buy a car that doesn't run. I would to keep the car but I'm not sure if I'm able to rebuild the engine myself or even swap the engine if I were to buy a reman one. I have a garage at my house but my dad helped me a lot with the cam swap and he's not able to work on cars anymore due to some health problems. I have a lot of mechanical knowledge but I'm not very mechanically inclined so I'm not sure I could rebuild/swap the engine on my own. Should I still try to sell it or should I try to rebuild it? It's not running now, so I don't guess I could make it much worse. How about a reman engine?

See post:

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...&highlight=cam
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM

Engine swap is pretty easy. If you can do a cam swap, you can do a motor swap.

I'd find a low mileage LT1 in your area and swap it in.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 PM

Buy "How to Rebuild Small-Block Chevy LT1/LT4 Engines", read it thoroughly and you make the decision. If you have money, getting it done professionally will come with a warranty and less headaches. Otherwise, research a lot, take your time, ask lots of questions, and you can do it.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Engine swap is pretty easy. If you can do a cam swap, you can do a motor swap.

I'd find a low mileage LT1 in your area and swap it in.
You mean find someone selling just the engine? That's going to hard to find. I do have that book BTW. I think I could swao the engine, I'm just not sure if I can rebuild it myself.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:31 PM

Well, if you boogered the engine, you either need a reman. short block (in which case you would need to remove the old engine, switch the old parts to the shortblock and reinstall.) Or you could just buy a low-mileage from the bone yard and install it, but bearing in mind that there is not guarantee that it is worth a damn.

Cost wise, if you have the work done by a pro, it is going to cost you mucho denaro---perhaps more than you could get for the car when it is finished, no matter how good a job you do.

I'd say if you can't do any of the work yourself, cut your losses and dump the sucker, especially if you don't have any money to get the car fixed.

No point in thowing more money away. Do the math and choose your path.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 PM

There's an association called Arizona Automotive recyclers Assoc. I have bought 3? motors from them and they've all been great. There must be something like that where you are from.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM

what i would do if i were you, find a local machine shop. pull the motor out yourself, and just ask them how much it would be for a "stock rebuild" on your bottom end, maybe with some upgraded bearings and rod bolts. Should be a grand or less
Old 03-10-2008, 06:12 PM

I called a local speed shop (dynotech race engines) and at first he thought I meant a complete rebuild ($2500) but then I explain I just needed the bottom end and they said they could get me a shortblock and rebuild it for $1100. He said he would by happy to install a comp cam and lifters if I supplied them. He said after the rebuild I would just need to bolt the heads on and reinstall the engine. Does that sound right and are there any questions I need to ask?
Old 03-10-2008, 07:24 PM

1100 sounds like a good deal, also dont forget all the small things you will need like gaskets fluids, spark plugs, head bolts, maby a new oil pump. if you like your car then spending the money sounds like a good idea because a non running lt1 camaro is not worth much thease days. good luck and like everyone else said ask lots of questions.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 PM

most machine shops (at least around here), will include a new oil pump in a shortblock rebuild, just might check with them
Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM

He said $1100 woould have the shortblock ready for me to put the heads back on and install in the car.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by BradcTA
He said $1100 woould have the shortblock ready for me to put the heads back on and install in the car.
Nice deal. Where at in MS are you? I graduated from State
Old 03-11-2008, 10:27 AM

So for $1100.00 they will get a shortblock and rebuild it. I.e. , they will get you a reman shortblock for $1100.00? Ok, that might be right.

And I'm sure they will be "happy" to install lifters and cam, but obviously not for free, right? So that just leaves you to take all the stuff from your current block and install on the shortblock---including removal and install of engine. BTW, your cam may still be ok. I'd have it checked out before tossing it.

Bottom line is still your ability to do a lot of stuff: ask yourself---do I really believe I can do this and will the total cost be worth it?
Old 03-11-2008, 11:34 AM

For $1100 he will rebuild a shortblock he already has in stock (he said mine has probably damaged) with the cam and lifters I select. He will install all the parts needed for me to be able to just bolt the heads on and put the engine in the car. That's what he said... Are they any other hidden cost I should ask him about?
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 PM

You won't know the "hidden" costs because they are "hidden".

Quick Reply: How hard is it to rebuild LT1?