LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how hard is it to rebuild an opti???

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 03:53 PM

Re: how hard is it to rebuild an opti???

Originally Posted by 94Zpower
I just bought one from Jason, thanks guys!
You did the right thing. If you rebuilt the old one, chances are you would later be buying a new one from Jason, anyway. I know it is more money, but for the aggravation/work involved and what you get, it is the better deal.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by 1Qwik94Z
just my .02 on the rebuilds...
I recently had to replacec the Opti (nonvented) on my 94Z and it was a pain the first time (lol). I ended up installing it wrong even though it went on flush and everything 'seemed' good. If you install your Opti and it clicks, but doesnt fire or ignite....you will need to uninstall EVERYTHING and put it all back in again, like I and some others on here have already experienced. Take a GOOD note to do it right the first time, check some other threads on here about Optis BEFORE installing yours..unless you've done it before, then just good luck.
But where my .02 comes in, I wanted to tear apart my old Opti to see exactly how they worked and what was wrong with it (instead of pitching up a couple hundred bux and not knowing WHY im replacing it..). I found out you would need to get ahold of a company like Snap-On Tools or something, and spend the extra doh (around $12) for a special star shaped socket. If you attempted to unscrew those with conventional means, you'd most likely strip them, they are very small bolt heads and it would be a pain to put them back in..etc. So it's a good thing you did end up buying the new one. I myself put a new(er) one in (bought one used, had 3k mi on it) and it almost seems like something is wrong with it again, after only 2 months..not even. I think when my Water Pump went out, it got something in the Opti..
I noticed you spent over $300..didnt transamgt say you could get it for under 230 shipped? Maybe he was talking about the vented..I dunno. Im starting to think its worth the upgrade to convert to a vented opti
anyways, good luck with your new opti, let us know how it goes. Im curious as to how different it is from the original GM ones..dont think there;s really much else you can do to redesign it to make the nonvented any better..
Sorry its so long, good luck! Derek
Thanks for the tips!
Derek
the vented is 220 and non vented is 319.. Dont ask me why the crappier one is more expensive
and it is an original GM opti and I too am curios to compare it to my original to see what GM has changed to improve it.
I will probably start the removal this weekend and get the new one on next week but i will let you know what happens,
and how do you know that its alligned right if it goes on flat even if its installed wrong???

Thanks.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:02 PM

Index it by the special keyway to the cam gear and you will be good to go. You will see a like keyway in the cam gear.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:43 PM

thanks shoebox and others.
Old 07-23-2004, 02:36 AM

not hard but definately not worth the time and effort. there is nothing to make these things any better