LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How in the heck do you remove the manifold bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:47 PM

How in the heck do you remove the manifold bolts?

How in the heck do you remove these manifold bolts. Me and my friend have started my header install, and today got the Y pipe off. Alternator off, as well as the starter. We can really only see like 5 manifold bolts. We've yet to remove the AIR and EGR stuff, as well as all the ignition. Can you get an ok view of the bolts once you get all that out of the way?

Other question, what happens if one of the manifold bolts breaks? Do I need to pull the head? How often do the manifold bolts break? We are just using a large breaker bar, no impact wrench here.

Any other tips on getting headers installed? Got the AS&M midlengths, can I put spark plugs back in before installing the headers?

Thanks!
Old 09-25-2005, 03:54 PM

Re: How in the heck do you remove the manifold bolts?

Large breaker bar should not be necessary. If the bolts are tightened to spec they should only be 35ftlbs.
You need to take the fuel rail off as well. You can leave the fuel lines on, but it makes it more of a PITA. If you want to take the lines off you'll need to get a fuel disconnet tool from any autoparts store. If you do a search I'm sure you can find a page that describes exactly what you need to do.
Take the EGR solenoid off. EGR valve does not need to be taken off. Your coolant retern line or "steam pipe" also needs to be unbolted since it's fastened to one of the studs as well as your alt. bracket.
When installing the manifold make sure to clean block/manifold surface very well and put a healthy bead of sealant (I use Permatex Ultra Black) and set manifold straight onto block. Most importantly, torque all bolts in sequence. I torque them in two steps. First at 20lbs and last at 35lbs.
As stated there should be all kinds of web pages describing the intake removal and install. Try shoebox's site first.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:24 PM

I am pretty sure SS RRR is refering to the intake manifold..No need to remove the fuel lines for the exhaust..Anyhow,its tight.Anything you try to do in the engine compartment is tough.The bolts should come out easy.If they dont work them in and out slowly using a lot of WD-40.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:32 PM

i think i used a 3/8 drive ratchet 3 inch extension and a deep socket. It was just long enough that i could reach in from the top and my ratchet wouldn't hit the manifold yet just short enough that it wouldn't rub the shock tower. I kind of just had to reach around and feel where the bolt head was and go from the top.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:49 PM

Yeh, I suppose we can feel around for them. Only thing is, it's rather hard to spray em with WD-40 if you can't see em. Yeh, I'm talking about removing the exhaust manifolds. Did the intake manifold last summer as it's seal blew and was leaking oil.

I'm rather scared of the exhaust manifold bolts, as I live up in Canada BC, and the bolts for the Y pipe were a real bear. Sprayed em with WD-40 yesterday, and this morning before trying to get em out. Even after that, we had to use a 2 foot breaker bar, and the bolts complained all the way out.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:53 PM

Don't use WD-40. PB Blaster is better.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:58 PM

I broke one bolt (furthest one away drivers side) when I did mine, 130k miles on the bolts lol. I had some guy drill it out. It ended up costing $100 because he broke 3 bolt extractors(taps???) trying to extract it.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by joeSS97
I am pretty sure SS RRR is refering to the intake manifold...
DOH!!!
I can't read.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:28 PM

Yea actually alot of mine were finger tight. Plus I had one that was broken off, must have been for awhile. I hemmed and hawed about it for awhile, and eventually just took the heads off and had the bolt heli-coiled. Its the right thing to do, plus I hadn't taken this car that far apart yet so it was kinda interesting anyway. Plus ya get to put new head gaskets on, not a bad thing.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:43 PM

If I'm putting in all the effort to remove the heads, I'd definatly want some work done to them. Sadly, I'm not able to afford that, so I just hope I don't break one.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:39 PM

Usually the only bolts that break are the outside ones and if you break them its not a big deal because the header doesn't use those holes.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:07 AM

One thing I forgot to ask. There's heatsheilds around the stock manifolds. It seems like access to the bolts would be a heck of a lot easier if those were off.

Is there any relativly easy way to remove the heatsheilds?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:55 AM

The heat shields are not easy to remove.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:05 PM

2nd that. PB Blaster is good stuff. Helps alot and don't have to wait long.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by AnotherScreenName
2nd that. PB Blaster is good stuff. Helps alot and don't have to wait long.
PB Blaster

Quick Reply: How in the heck do you remove the manifold bolts?