LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How I cleaned my injectors...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 04:47 PM

The car runs a lot better, but still not 100%. There is something wrong with some of those injectors. Maybe they're still dirty, I'm not sure. They soaked for days and then got blasted with brake cleaner.

I'm not sure where to go next with this. I guess just run stockers until I can afford another set of 30#'s.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:54 PM

If you do that, your gonna run REALLY lean because the computer is programmed for a 30# injector. Dropping back down to a stock 24# its going to run roughly 80% as much fuel as it should be running.

So dont forget to get programmed for it. Can you try ordering a set of injectors from Jegs, sticken them in, running it and if it doesnt fix it, clean them up real well and return them ?
Old 09-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by transamdude95
I chugged a can of seafoam once... gave me the ****s... but damn did i run fast as hell to the bathroom.

...and after you got there - did the bowl look like this?

Last edited by scottso; 09-21-2007 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by HardcoreRM125
If you do that, your gonna run REALLY lean because the computer is programmed for a 30# injector. Dropping back down to a stock 24# its going to run roughly 80% as much fuel as it should be running.

So dont forget to get programmed for it. Can you try ordering a set of injectors from Jegs, sticken them in, running it and if it doesnt fix it, clean them up real well and return them ?
I'm running the stock PCM with the stock injectors.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:01 AM

Just as an FYI, an injector cleaning service mentioned in another thread says this:

Originally Posted by witchhunter.com
Never soak fuel injectors in harsh chemicals like; injector cleaners, Seafoam, acetone, etc. This can cause damage to the coil insulation and internal seals. Besides, you can't get them clean by soaking.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:56 PM

uh oh...

lol
Old 09-21-2007, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Just as an FYI, an injector cleaning service mentioned in another thread says this:
He also wants you to send your injectors in to him for $200 to be cleaned.

I've heard of a few people doing this successfully. Fuel is ran through them constantly, fuel cleaner run through the injectors from the tank is safe, I don't see how damaging it can really be to let it soak. I would believe it's possible to cause damage, just like it's possible to get cancer from chewing trident, but I don't think it's likely.

This car wouldn't run before. I couldn't accelerate, if I came to a complete stop for too long it would die, cause terrible misfire and backfiring etc...

The car will at least run now, it just won't perform the way it should, but if I had to drive it point A to point B it's fine.

I think these injectors definitely need to be serviced to function properly.

Here is a video of how it runs now after cleaning them, btw...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xy0-x_lEU

Last edited by raroz28; 09-21-2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:44 PM

This was my first thought when i saw what he was doing. Most of that dirt was probably from the outside of the injectors.
Old 09-21-2007, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by raroz28
He also wants you to send your injectors in to him for $200 to be cleaned.

I've heard of a few people doing this successfully. Fuel is ran through them constantly, fuel cleaner run through the injectors from the tank is safe, I don't see how damaging it can really be to let it soak. I would believe it's possible to cause damage, just like it's possible to get cancer from chewing trident, but I don't think it's likely.

...[/url]
Obviously, I know he wants the business and I thought you would say that.

However, there are parts of the injector that are not meant to be submerged (definitely not the same as running fuel or cleaner through it). I am not saying yours will fail, but just wanted to let people know another opinion of someone who does it for a living.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:53 PM

Smile

Please tell me how you removed your filters.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:52 PM

Car seems to run good to me

I like the sound
Old 09-27-2007, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by AXEMAN
Please tell me how you removed your filters.
Take a screw that fits snug when you screw it into the top of the injector, that will grab the filter basket with the threads.

Once you find one that fits it nice and tight, put that screw into a vice. Screw the injector onto the threads of the screw, and give it a good yank. Then just unscrew the basket from the screw. It should come off fairly easy.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:53 AM

However, there are parts of the injector that are not meant to be submerged
that's what i was thinking
Old 09-28-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by stopthatman
that's what i was thinking
Which parts exactly were you thinking?

Being submerged submerges 3 open orfices. The top and bottom of the injector, which are always full of fuel, and the connector for the injector.

I don't see how the connector could take damage from injector cleaner.

Somebody explain it to me. I could see if the plastic at the top of the injector wasn't sealed correctly how it could get into places it shouldn't be, but assuming the injector is sealed, I don't see how submerging it can be damaging.

I've been wrong many times, and I could be wrong here, but I can't see anything that could be harmed from letting them soak a couple days in fuel injector cleaner.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 PM

The electrical portion of the injectors are not normally subjected to.. well, anything but air. So when you submerge them in any fluid, it will enter the connector cavity and through the, albeit tiny, clearances between the injector body and electrical terminals into the coil of wire that creates the magnetic field. What shbx is saying is that fluid gets into that cavity and deteriorates the electrical insulation that separates each coil of wire. If that insulation gets eaten away enough, the wires will conduct prematurely and essentially short circuit in the injector.