LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How many miles are on your LE heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 10:23 PM

How many miles are on your LE heads?

Just a curious question...

How many miles are on your LE heads? LE1, LE2, LE3? Hard miles or not? Lots of track time?

I've got about 2k on mine.. only 4 passes so far but plan to have many more in a few months as the weather gets better and after I replace my 918's...
Old 10-01-2007, 11:31 PM

5k pretty hard break-in miles. Trans has been acting a little wonky (sensor/harness issues) so no track times to date. But i have taken the car several times to 6600 where it shifts. Doesnt use any oil, i checked my valve to guide clearances and spring installed heights when they got here due to rumors, which was basicly for nothing they checked out fine. Overall though my le heads have been doing great, I put about 400 miles on them every week, and a great deal of that is on the interstate doing 80mph for about a 45 minute stretch.

Oh le1 heads, as stated in sig, crane dual springs.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 AM

i got alittle of oil coming out of my exhaust at WOT but dont we all do that alittle.. also my motor is alittle lose of a set up so i can spray a tad
Old 10-02-2007, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Gun5
i got alittle of oil coming out of my exhaust at WOT but dont we all do that alittle.. also my motor is alittle lose of a set up so i can spray a tad
You're not supposed to.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 AM

And just to add to this thread, I had 15 cracked valve guides, the valve job was was out of round even on the cylinders where the guides haven't loosened up that much, and my spring height varied from 1.75" to 1.8" which caused valve float and took out the rollers on a few of my lifters. $700 down the drain and my heads are finally fixed and ready to be sold.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:51 AM

20k on the set on my old formula, another 10k on them when my friend bought them
2k on the set I had on my 383 before I sold it
3k on the set I had on my old turbo motor(which had another 20k put on them by my buddy in his car)
5k on a set of ls1 heads he did for me
3k on a set I had on my current formula, sold to go turbo

Only problem we ever had was one spring broke on the first set, a cm612 spring, but it had ~30k miles and I told my buddy to replace them before it broke, then it ended up breaking right after that.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 AM

I've had mine on for around 4 1/2 years and about 13,000 miles. I got mine before he had the "LE1/LE2/LE3" designations; I guess they would be pretty similar to an LE2. I've only been to the track with them once.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM

Ive got about 20K on mine with about 30-35 strip runs with a road course mixed in there and a couple autoX event. Ill be out at the track again the week after next and ill be autoXing this weekend. I abuse the hell out of the car, every time it goes out it see's 6700 rpm's at elast once. it gets driven on the street for cruisins/ to work/ for ice ccream at least once a week.

so far the heads and cam have been my biggest dissapointment.... the best ive been able to run with LE3 heads and LE2 cam is a 12.2@ 112 with a 1.79 60'. Ive seen LE2's with LE1 cams run better than that.... Ive spent about 2 years trying to fgure it out and have replaced just about every part you can think of and had MULTIPLE tunes. also installed a wideband to nail down the AFR....

Other than being slow the H/C have been great, very reliable.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:19 AM

Probably 2k on mine. Hard miles for the most part. The heads were before Lloyd had stages but would be considered LE2s. Car runs good and last time at the track, asked my buddy if it smoked at all under WOT. He said, not a bit. Watched a vid of my car and he was right. If I ever have a serious motor built I have a spare set of heads that will most likely go to Lloyd for a 355 heavy nitrous shot.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by onebadponcho
I've had mine on for around 4 1/2 years and about 13,000 miles. I got mine before he had the "LE1/LE2/LE3" designations; I guess they would be pretty similar to an LE2. I've only been to the track with them once.
and what did you run with them?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
And just to add to this thread, I had 15 cracked valve guides, the valve job was was out of round even on the cylinders where the guides haven't loosened up that much, and my spring height varied from 1.75" to 1.8" which caused valve float and took out the rollers on a few of my lifters. $700 down the drain and my heads are finally fixed and ready to be sold.
Maybe LE will buy 'em back from ya They're probably nicer now than when they went out of his shop.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:55 AM

Mine have around 12K miles on them and are still going strong, even have the CM612 springs. I'm building a new motor and will probably change springs when I swap the heads over so we'll see what shape they are in. Also burning a "little" oil at WOT isn't that big a deal and isn't always an indication of something wrong with the head. Mine burns a little when I jump on the gas really hard. Most builders like that to happen cause you know that everything is getting oil. Now if you are fogging for mosquitos that's a different story,
Old 10-02-2007, 11:38 AM
Banned

Let me just add something here.... I've personally told speed_demon24 that I would like to look at the heads and fix them up here to have my own assesment of the problem with them but to no avail. I realize he had a problem, but he has also not taken offers to fix the heads either, at least from me. I don't know on Lloyd's end what the deal is. From what I have seen Lloyd is extremely helpful in fixing issues if they do come up. I just really want to know why when help is offered does he continue to beat a dead horse?

Back to the topic. It's good to see so many miles on some setups. I have a minimum expectation of how long the valvetrain should live and it easily has surpassed that.

Bret
Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Back to the topic. It's good to see so many miles on some setups. I have a minimum expectation of how long the valvetrain should live and it easily has surpassed that.

Bret
Speaking of that what whould you expect to get outa the 977's? Mine im sure are due for a replacement pretty soon.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Let me just add something here.... I've personally told speed_demon24 that I would like to look at the heads and fix them up here to have my own assesment of the problem with them but to no avail. I realize he had a problem, but he has also not taken offers to fix the heads either, at least from me. I don't know on Lloyd's end what the deal is. From what I have seen Lloyd is extremely helpful in fixing issues if they do come up. I just really want to know why when help is offered does he continue to beat a dead horse?

Bret
Lloyd didn't offer to help me, and instead of having to pay shipping which would be $100 both ways alone + the repair cost by sending them to you I had them fixed locally. My car's been down 3 months now and I'm sick of it sitting so I just want these gone so I can move onto my next setup.

Quick Reply: How many miles are on your LE heads?