LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How many miles are on your LE heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by SS MPSTR
and what did you run with them?
Maybe LE will buy 'em back from ya They're probably nicer now than when they went out of his shop.
Funny, and here I thought that this thread was to see how many miles people had on their setups. Get over it and stop hating.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
Funny, and here I thought that this thread was to see how many miles people had on their setups. Get over it and stop hating.
And why do you think he started a thread to see how many miles people had on LE setups? I guess I shouldn't be upset I got screwed out of $1000....
Old 10-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 95firehawk

nobody hating here....I asked a question and offered a suggestion. who's got the hang-up here?
Old 10-02-2007, 03:59 PM

So..........other than springs and seals what other things should you look for when inspecting heads? I mean the only really wearable parts you have are the springs. I guess you could throw in guides because they do wear but it takes a fairly long time when compared to spring life. I can understand asking mileage on a transmission because of the bearings, snycros, clutches, etc. gives you and idea of how much life it has left, but I never understood mileage on heads. I mean it's not like the port job is going to wear out or the valve has so many miles on it so it's no good anymore, ya know. Like ported heads run for 3,000 miles should be less expensive than freshly ported heads
Old 10-02-2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by ulakovic22
So..........other than springs and seals what other things should you look for when inspecting heads? I mean the only really wearable parts you have are the springs. I guess you could throw in guides because they do wear but it takes a fairly long time when compared to spring life. I can understand asking mileage on a transmission because of the bearings, snycros, clutches, etc. gives you and idea of how much life it has left, but I never understood mileage on heads. I mean it's not like the port job is going to wear out or the valve has so many miles on it so it's no good anymore, ya know. Like ported heads run for 3,000 miles should be less expensive than freshly ported heads
I'm asking to see if anyone else has developed problems similar to speed_demon's issues. Which was some seriously odd valve guide related issues after very little mileage.

I'm not asking to see if stuff has "worn out".. but to see how many people have had reliable, non-oil burning mileage on their stuff.

Coming from one of the fastest LE car owners on here.. gimme a little more credit.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:32 PM

I am at about 1,000 miles in a little over a year. Still have the 918's on em, and have made well over 30 passes at the track with the heads and never a problem with the heads at all. I am about to go adjust my RR's though for the 1millionth time since I got the 383... but that is user error

LE1 heads, LE2 cam (for a 383) and dyno numbers in sig, 12.6@110 w/ a 1.82 60' (at 5000+DA, 117mph corrected or so).

I love em, hoping to get to dallas very soon to make a run for your time Javier (which I wont get, but its a good goal to set).

About to spray a 100shot on it hopefully before this season is over!!!

No problems at all in other words, love em, as soon as I graduate (December) and get my real job I hope to get some LE3s and really go after your #s
Old 10-02-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
And why do you think he started a thread to see how many miles people had on LE setups? I guess I shouldn't be upset I got screwed out of $1000....
man that really sucks, I figured it was resolved after I never saw the orig thread updated.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
I'm asking to see if anyone else has developed problems similar to speed_demon's issues. Which was some seriously odd valve guide related issues after very little mileage.

I'm not asking to see if stuff has "worn out".. but to see how many people have had reliable, non-oil burning mileage on their stuff.

Coming from one of the fastest LE car owners on here.. gimme a little more credit.
I am giving you credit just trying to change the subject a little so this doesn't get into another one of "those" threads. Also a little bit to ask peoples opinions as to what does wear out cause like I said unless there was an issue with the machining or assembly typically problems just don't pop up. In my experience unless something goes wrong fairly quickly it's not going to happen. Perfect example is speed_demon because something was obviously not done correctly for him to have his issues and they happened quickly. My heads have 12K on them and I have no problems so I'm not really expecting any unless I just beat the crap out of my car everyday and over rev it. Just my .02
Old 10-02-2007, 05:32 PM

Probably about 6k miles on this LE2 H/C setup. Raced 3 times a week, driven to the track 60+ miles round trip. Not one single issue with the setup.

Some of you really need to check your entire setup to make sure it's in good running order. This is a 4200lb car that traps 114mph with a best et of 11.82

He's giving up hundreds of lbs to the f-body

Great setup IMO

Car has cut a best of 1.41 and backed up with a 1.47 but runs consistent low 1.6's. He got very lucky with track prep and followed a slick dragster on both those passes.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:34 PM

Would also like to note that my 94 Z went 12.36@110.82 with stock 100k mile heads, bolt ons, GTP 4 camshaft and 3.42 gears cutting a 1.77 60'

Those LE2 cars - F bodies - should be high 11 second cars easily.
Old 10-02-2007, 05:41 PM

http://www.impalasuperstore.com/nais...TOPIC_ID=40648

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBullet...d.php?t=183780
Betting he didn't spring for new guides and seats at 3K miles for no reason.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:24 PM

Dwayne that first link was an interesting read of the valve seizing in the guide. How does something like that happen? The explanation he got was that possibly the oil was washed off by too much fuel, but the owner says it was installed and dyno tuned. Are there any other things that could cause a valve to get stuck like that?
Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 PM

Few in every crowd unless Jesus starting working at a competing shop and we weren't informed.

The Caprice pictured above is/has/will continue to run strong and can be located at D42 in West Salem Ohio or Norwalk/Summit raceway anytime someone wants to check it out.

He'll run anyone, anytime at the track.

Not sure on how often the rest of you guys actually maintain your vehicles but in this garage the cars are gone over within a day or 2 of racing.

Guy builds a performance car with a set of heads and runs them 2 years but claims that it isn't driven hard? Ok, that's what i've done too - built performance cars that I only drive to the grocery store.

BTW - Got some real nice property in crapville USA if anyones interested
Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM

nobody hating here....I asked a question and offered a suggestion. who's got the hang-up here?
There is a LOT more to valve train wear than how it is when it shows up at your door. Better make sure you are using the correct guideplates, pushrods, and preload! It's about how you install it as much as how it's made. How many people have ran LE heads and seen 0 issues as compared to those who have seen problems with the parts themselves? There is a margin for error everywhere. Reusing stock castings that at this point usually have over 100k miles on them is going to increase the chances for something to go wrong.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 PM

There are those out there/here who will make feeble attempts at turning this into an AI vs LE thread guaranteed.

It has already started with a couple. So, i'll just submit now

Lloyd Elliot sucks ***** and the other guys are better.

Disclaimer - I did not need either Lloyd Elliot or Advanced Induction to make my car fast. I had neither product instead relying on stock untouched heads with 130k miles on them. Just add boost.

I have a buddy with an AI car and my cousin with the LE2 Caprice. So i'm only biased based on performance numbers.

Quick Reply: How many miles are on your LE heads?