LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How many miles are on your LE heads?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 08:17 PM

More instigation. No matter. I've stated my opinion regarding both companies and why I feel the way I do. If people take it as "bashing" that's their problem. I've only stated what I've seen for the last 9 years I've been on this forum and at the track.

ANYWAY..... I got an idea...
Obviously we both like to argue. Let's both just stop and let the thread take its course. I'll give you the last word, GO!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM

LOL - seriously i'm laughing.

I'm going to go ahead and take the last word - I need as many as I can get. But, my last word is a simple emoticon for ya

Have a good one dude!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
LOL - seriously i'm laughing.

I'm going to go ahead and take the last word - I need as many as I can get. But, my last word is a simple emoticon for ya

Have a good one dude!
Post up where SSRRR started bashing anyone in this thread...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Gun5 View Post
i got alittle of oil coming out of my exhaust at WOT but dont we all do that alittle.. also my motor is alittle lose of a set up so i can spray a tad
You're not supposed to.

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
You're not supposed to.

well i never have oil come out on start up, or idling, and my oil level never really goes down.. im sure its just stuff going out the PCV back through the throttle body being burned..

if it was valves im sure it would be all the time and such...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:53 PM

To answer the question:
Lot's of Trouble free hard track/street miles for 2 plus years. Over 300 passes on my LE 2 set up on a 355 with the smaller cam and a heavy car. Car runs trouble free and consistant. I have always had great service from Lloyd.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:58 PM

Post up where SSRRR started bashing anyone in this thread...

Post up where I made the claim that he did.

right back at ya.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:25 PM

About 2,000 miles on my LE2 heads after a summers worth of driving, Other than 3 broken and defective Comp Cams 918 beehive springs, replaced with the PAC springs they are running strong...
Very happy with them to date.

I should go get it dynoed this fall to have some before/after dyno numbers..
Old 10-02-2007, 09:40 PM

I posted links to RELATED threads I knew of.
Maybe the mustang owner is the one looking to cause trouble?
Old 10-02-2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I posted links to RELATED threads I knew of.
Maybe the mustang owner is the one looking to cause trouble?
Ok Dwayne - the type of car I now own makes a difference. Is that your battle cry to rally the Chevy troops against me?

Congrats on the find, hope it made your day.
Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Gun5
Originally Posted by Gun5 View Post
i got alittle of oil coming out of my exhaust at WOT but dont we all do that alittle.. also my motor is alittle lose of a set up so i can spray a tad
You're not supposed to.

well i never have oil come out on start up, or idling, and my oil level never really goes down.. im sure its just stuff going out the PCV back through the throttle body being burned..

if it was valves im sure it would be all the time and such...
I never blamed it on your heads, all I said is oil going through the motor isn't normal, well atleast not good. I'de figure out whats causing it and fix it.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:51 PM

I never blamed it on your heads, all I said is oil going through the motor isn't normal, well atleast not good. I'de figure out whats causing it and fix it.
well i did a search because (i had looked before and my engine builder told me it was normal) these cars are really bad with the PCV valve... it may be unburned gas to i dont have cats or emissions
Old 10-03-2007, 01:29 AM

well i did a search because (i had looked before and my engine builder told me it was normal) these cars are really bad with the PCV valve... it may be unburned gas to i dont have cats or emissions
I'm running a breather on each valve cover with my pcv valve still hooked up to a catch can. I was blaming my PCV on my oil burning too until I found out about my guides. My car never burned oil until the head swap even with the stock pcv so I still don't think burning oil is normal.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 AM

First off, the first Impala link was a customer that called up and asked what parts were used on the LE2 heads he purchsed. He told me what he paid and I told him what parts are used on the LE2 heads. Later in the conversation I realize the haeds are iron heads and not aluminum LE2 heads. He thought since he paud a certain price, certain parts were used but when dealing with iron heads, you have another $250 in machine work (remove press in studs, machine for screw in studs, guide plates, enlarge PR holes, etc). If he looked at our original emails from when the heads were bought, he would know what parts were on his heads.

Iron heads with SI 2.02/1.60 valves and CM 612 springs cost the same to do as a set of alu heads with ferrea 6000 series valves and bee hives. No way around paying for the extra machine work.

Guides werar when the geometry is wrong (PR length, guide plate, etc) or lack of lubrication.

Second, Speed demon was told to ship his heads here and I would make sure it was nothing done on my end. I told him I would cover shipping both ways.

He shipped the heads, I inspected them and had my machinist (Trevor Johnson) inspect them and we both came to the same conclusion with out comparing notes . . . . .

the guides were TOAST. Bronze liners were installed with proper clearance and and the valve job was concentric when the heads shipped. i am not sure what was done to wear most of the guides that bad in such a short amount of time but it happened.

The portwork will mot effect how long the guides last.

It is not like the K liners were "soft" or anything and wore prematurely.

I told speed demon the only thing that wears guides that fast will be severly back rocker geometry (PR length, guide plate, etc) or lack of lubrication.

The cracks where at the end of the guides and only traveled a short way up the guide (1/8 of the way up or so) and did not cause the guides to become loose. I assumed the cracks happened with the valve flopping around so much from the guide being that worn.

The valve job will NOT be concentric with the guides that loose. It will be sealing at a different pattern every time the valve closes.

I wanted to see the guide plates but never got to see them, he just said that he had some new trick flow guide plates for the heads.

I returned the heads and paid shipping both ways as mentioned.

It is not very often a problem shows up but when it does I bend over backwards and help the customer out even if it their fault or a grey area. I do not mind eating some $$$ to make the customer happy. Speed demon decided to make a few posts that changed my entire perspective on the way his situation would be handled and as it turns out, those posts ended up being expensive to him. He was aware of this when he shipped the heads and knew that there would be no favors done.

This set of heads really puzzled me as to why the guides wore so quickly.

Just because some thing goes wrong with the heads does not mean anything was done wrong during machine work or before the heads were installed.

That is about as clear as I can make it.

Last edited by NightTrain66; 10-03-2007 at 01:49 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Agreed.
I stand by my original post that as of current - 6k abusive miles on an LE2 setup with no issues.
So if one LE setup hold up, that means they all do? Thats like saying if one messed up, then they will all mess up. See how stupid that sounds?

Also you should look into selling that ugly slow mustang you got. From a quick lt1 to a freaking ugly slow turd. That right there shows me your judgement is complete ****.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Banned

Try again. All you are doing is tossing out stupid guesses as to what your problem is. One of my cars has 170k+ on it, no cats and it doesnt smoke at all on start up or when its warmed up. I also have another one thats got 110k on it, same deal. No oil burned.

I've also seen countless lt1s that get blow by and have oil in there TBs. Yet none of them smokes on startup.

Quick Reply: How many miles are on your LE heads?