LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How many street driven LT1's are making 500+ to the wheel N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 05:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
Not particularly, I had to once again search to even find what you were talking about. I didn't even revisit said post where you mentioned my car... which has never "underperformed" for what it has.

Yes, it has gone 12.0's with just a little cc503 cam.. not bad for a full weight street car on DR's back then.

Now it's gone 11.30's as the same full weight street car with room to go... on drag radials, all motor, no suspension work, etc.

More accomplishment than you've layed out factually. Don't act like I'm embarrassed as to my car's results, because ask anyone around, I'm 100% proud of my car's progress to date. You give me nothing to be bitter about when you tell me you have a sprayed 180k mile shortblock with a hotcam and stamped rockers.. I couldn't be any less impressed because I've seen plenty of 12 second versions of just that running around to care.

But if I were to start over, sink equal amounts of money into two shortblocks, I would have come out lightyears ahead if I had started on an LSx platform. And if deny that it just makes you look like an idiot.

I wouldnt say light years ahead no, maybe a little. Same money into a LSX and a LTX...the playing field does level off when you get into aftermarket heads etc. The ONLY things is as of late is the L92 head that would make it cheaper(by a good stretch)...up until it was released it was closer than most people think...NOT ON THE DYNO, ON THE TRACK!

David
Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by OldSStroker
Very good points, KID. There is a 600+ FWhp 396 LT1 out there with a very driveable torque curve. It idles quite smoothly ~900, pulls strongly from the teens, has a very flat torque curve, and peaks power in the low-mid 6000 range.

KID called it: The heads are not GM, but they are for an LT1 and were ported by one of the best in the country. It's not an LT1/4 intake either, but it is a modified cast aluminum one. And yes, the HR cam was very specific to the combination.

The owner wants a stealthy DD, so he's not braggin' nor even talking about it. I doubt if he's chassis dynoed it, but with 600+ on the engine dyno, 500 rw probably isn't much of a stretch. It's his fun car...a whole lot of fun.

No it's not cheap, either.
Guess it's time for me to join the party as it seems to be going on into the late hours.

480+ rwhp N/A, Great Powerband.....super driveability, torquey (pulls easily up hills @ 45mph in 6th gear) idles @ 875 rpm. HR cam specific to the combo, not a LT1/Lt4 intake and heads are not GM but ported by one of the better porters in the DFW area. Even has 4 mufflers to keep it semi-quiet. Oh, wasn't cheap either.

As Lloyd Elliott put it after a ride. “A real sleeper, pulls super strong in 3rd gear after it hooks good.”

Only took me ten years of different combo's to find one that made good power with no compromises to either reliability or drivability. Think I have 90% of the gremlins squared away and time for another dyno session. Honestly think the car has 500 rwhp in it as it made the 480 some with a ported LT4 intake and not the current sheetmetal which everything says should make more power.

Unless I go with a different engine combo using better heads like SBC2 heads or 18 degrees……. honestly, can’t think of what else to do with the car. Don’t care what anyone says, it wasn’t easy or I’m not very smart or just not very lucky. One of the three…..maybe all.

my vote is: great heads, not going overboard with the cam but having enough, details, details, details and a lot of time working out issues and tuning. Now all of a sudden it sounds easy. Bet a Cave Man could do it.

Last edited by Denny McLain; 06-18-2007 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
It's not that easy, and most people don't want to have to deal with the hassle of a solid roller on a street car.
i didnt mean for it to be easy, i know youd have to do a lot of tweaking, and adjustments, but i think it could be done probably.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by reamo04
i didnt mean for it to be easy, i know youd have to do a lot of tweaking, and adjustments, but i think it could be done probably.
It could, but not by me. Literally tore up three combo's trying to make solid roller cams work on a street car. Broken lifters, galled camshafts, lifter parts breaking the block!!! You name it. Whatever the secret of making them reliable is.......I don't know it.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Banned

Denny, did you street drive the car ALOT? Sit in traffic alot, supposedly oil pressure and oil temp is the killer. What lifters and springs did you use? Also valve bounce is a killer.

I can't believe you are selling your car. I have never seen it...read alot about it though.

I hope my solid roller lives...we will see. I bought the new Comp Endurex solid lifter, Ferrea stainless valves, tool room springs, Xceledyne locks and retainers and shaft rockers....about the best you can get as far as I know.

David
Old 06-19-2007, 09:01 AM

David from talking to guys that have the SR's living on the streets it the idling that kills them.

But if you notice the new trend in SR lifters id the HIPPO design which is supposed to prolong the life.

How much is not clear. I have a set of the Crower's going into mine and an hoping for the best.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Denny, did you street drive the car ALOT? Sit in traffic alot, supposedly oil pressure and oil temp is the killer. What lifters and springs did you use? Also valve bounce is a killer.

I can't believe you are selling your car. I have never seen it...read alot about it though.

David
It's been a while so I don't remember all the various valve train things I tried. For sure one set of lifters were Cranes that were suppose to be good to 10,000 rpm. (they weren’t) Also there were some K-Motion 1100 springs and those broke also, but I tried a bunch of stuff and none of it worked.

Driving…….Just plain ol driving in Dallas Tx. Not a lot of sitting and idling but some. A fair share of street racing and some track racing. Couldn’t get more than 2-3K miles before something broke or a cam galled.

Selling my car………..After owning the car for 10 years I'm kinda in disbelief that I'm entertaining selling it also. Been a killer toy and almost a way of life, but have about $60k in medical equipment I need to buy and for a while anyway, no time to play with it. It flat may not sell as it’s way to nice to give away and I’m not going to.

Met about every goal set out for the car with the last placing in a national level car show. Two months to paint it dissembling the body replacing everything, another month detailing the engine compartment and how many thousands of dollars later??. Never again!! What? For a $10.00 plaque.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:13 PM

I put down 535 rwhp N/A with more left in it. Street driven.....not everyday but it does go out on some weekends. I could make it a driver if I spent alot of time on the driveability tuning but at this point it is not my daily driver so I really don't care. My advice is to build up a 475 rwhp hydraulic cammed 383 with stage II heads from PortPros, LE, AI....etc. You will be happy with that combo and have less issues to work through. It is hard enough to get traction with 400 rwhp on the street.........think of 500+ rwhp! I built my set-up for nitrous and I am thankfull it put down these #'s N/A but it took a lot to get there.

Tony Shepherd
Old 06-19-2007, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fast 93 z
I put down 535 rwhp N/A with more left in it. Street driven.....not everyday but it does go out on some weekends. I could make it a driver if I spent alot of time on the driveability tuning but at this point it is not my daily driver so I really don't care. My advice is to build up a 475 rwhp hydraulic cammed 383 with stage II heads from PortPros, LE, AI....etc. You will be happy with that combo and have less issues to work through. It is hard enough to get traction with 400 rwhp on the street.........think of 500+ rwhp! I built my set-up for nitrous and I am thankfull it put down these #'s N/A but it took a lot to get there.

Tony Shepherd
Tony, did you make that on rwhp number on pump gas?

David
Old 06-19-2007, 01:17 PM

Yes 93 octane. I will use 116 in my stand-alone when I spray.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:22 PM

I thought it was a simple question.

Originally Posted by Built LT1
How many LT1/4 motors are out there that are making 500+ to the wheel N/A?
How many are street driven on pump gas?
1) LT engines, NO LS's.
2) 500 or more RWHP. Any dyno. If your making this much it doesn't really matter.
3) Street driven. I assume this means at least an occasional drive down the freeway, with a valid license and sticker if required.
4) N/A on pump gas. No spray, no blowers, no turbo's.

If I'm correct there have been just two, and one didn't say if it was on pump gas of not?
I think this is worthy of an answer, as this seem the limit for LT's, n/a on pump gas.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:02 PM

pure comedy.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Z28SORR
If I'm correct there have been just two
Just two that have posted (or been posted) on this board. There are a lot of fast cars out there (LSx, LTx, L98, etc.) and they don't necessarily frequent the internet baords.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by fast 93 z

Tony Shepherd
Impressed and love your color scheme/car so don't take this the wrong way. Pretty high dollar combo and it came out very well.

But I’d say you were pushing the street driver stuff as anytime I see a FAST engine management system, obvious huge solid roller cam or you wouldn’t need the engine management system, filled block and vacuum pump on a car. In my mind that’s a race car. I can’t imagine passing state inspections or how it would fare in stop n go rush hour traffic on 1-35 when it hitting three figurers temp wise.

Seen some pretty killer race cars come out to the street races and they all claim to be “daily drivers.” Guess it’s all in the definition of what is considered a “street car.”

Killer car…… tuff squeezing it into the daily driver category, but I love it anyway. Bet it does very well at the street races. I'd be asking for a bunch of lengths based upon what I see.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:42 PM

The question itself is simple....but flawed as some of us have pointed out.

Pump gas...stock PCM...driven to the track...once you get away from these, it is irrelevant what you have motor wise imo.

Quick Reply: How many street driven LT1's are making 500+ to the wheel N/A?