LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How many street driven LT1's are making 500+ to the wheel N/A?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 02:46 PM

What does not having a stock PCM have to do with anything?? Getting to 500rwhp with an lt1 block N/A is going to take some RPM's. And I really don't think you can do it on a 7k rev limit.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM

Everything...once you switch to an aftermarket ECU, the term LT1 becomes a mute point...what you will have is guys with the ONLY thing that is LT1 is the block....

500 rwhp is only a number....it is not a measure of performance...just a number.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
Impressed and love your color scheme/car so don't take this the wrong way. Pretty high dollar combo and it came out very well.

But I’d say you were pushing the street driver stuff as anytime I see a FAST engine management system, obvious huge solid roller cam or you wouldn’t need the engine management system, filled block and vacuum pump on a car. In my mind that’s a race car. I can’t imagine passing state inspections or how it would fare in stop n go rush hour traffic on 1-35 when it hitting three figurers temp wise.

Seen some pretty killer race cars come out to the street races and they all claim to be “daily drivers.” Guess it’s all in the definition of what is considered a “street car.”

Killer car…… tuff squeezing it into the daily driver category, but I love it anyway. Bet it does very well at the street races. I'd be asking for a bunch of lengths based upon what I see.

Thank you for the compliments. I never said daily driver. I will be the first to admit I would not want to drive it every day. Just a weekend toy that is fun to drive. The car is still full weight with working wipers, headlamps, signal lamps, flashers, full interior minus rear seats, stock steering wheel, dash, glass, door panels..........etc. Is also tagged and inspected. Not gonna tell you how I got the inspection! Temperature stays at 170-180 degrees.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
Everything...once you switch to an aftermarket ECU, the term LT1 becomes a mute point...what you will have is guys with the ONLY thing that is LT1 is the block....

500 rwhp is only a number....it is not a measure of performance...just a number.
If it makes 500 rwhp on pumpgas, on ANY engine management....technically you can street drive it. And that is DAMN impressive to do on pumpgas,especially on a 23* head. Why does doing away with the stock ecm take it out of LT1 status? It still has reverse flow cooling, an LT1 block and most still have an opti(of some fashion). What MAKES it a GenII is reverse flow cooling. If it has an LT1 block, it is an LT1.

The original post asked "street driven 500 rwhp" not daily driven.

Tony, your **** is IMPRESSIVE! Bring your car over to my house so I can rub my car up against it to get some SPEED.

PS. Tony do you have the angled plastic piece in front of the radiator, or did you take it out?

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 06-19-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:09 PM

It is an opinion.

500 rwhp is only a number....and the reason I say this....how much rwhp do you think my motor would make if I did not have a TH-400 and a non locking nitrous converter... but a 6 speed? I figure my car is making in the 450 rwhp range right now and I have a few things to still fix.

Do not look at this as taking away from the few guys that do make 500+ rwhp...but if a guy shows up making 500 rwhp with a TH-400 and he squares off against a guy making 500 rwhp with a 6 speed...it is going to be ugly for the 6 speed guy.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:00 PM

Very true. I am making 535 through a TH400, 9" rear, and 4600 stall. I guess I could say it would be about 550+ if I had a 6-speed and 10-bolt. Like mentioned it is just a number. Track numbers tell all. I will be finding that out next month.

David......I took that piece out.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by 95ttoplt1
What does not having a stock PCM have to do with anything?? Getting to 500rwhp with an lt1 block N/A is going to take some RPM's. And I really don't think you can do it on a 7k rev limit.
Where there is a will there is a way, but part of the yearly Texas State inspection gig is they plug OBDII cars into a computer that reads the stock PCM. At 11 years or older you have to do the dyno thing that smells the tailpipe also.

The C4 PCM is good for 7200 rpm and sometimes it let's ya go higher and sometimes it doesn't. Think there may be other issues that may make it inconsistent thats just part of the reprogramming process to eliminate. The last fuel programming point is 6800 rpm and the last timing tuning point is 7000 in the computer.

My dyno sheets are very clean up to 7200 rpm and really do think there is 500 rwhp in the car. Just ain't found it yet. If I where to remove the belt and ice the intake it may do it now, only 17 short. But the drivability is perfect.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by fast 93 z
Thank you for the compliments. I never said daily driver. I will be the first to admit I would not want to drive it every day. Just a weekend toy that is fun to drive. The car is still full weight with working wipers, headlamps, signal lamps, flashers, full interior minus rear seats, stock steering wheel, dash, glass, door panels..........etc. Is also tagged and inspected. Not gonna tell you how I got the inspection! Temperature stays at 170-180 degrees.
That surprises me it doesn't get hotter but then again it doesn't. Mine stays in the low 170's now that the temps is in the low 90's and I have the same electric water pump. Also heard filling the block had virtually no effect on engine temps.

Nice ride!!
Old 06-21-2007, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
where? After the heads, cam, and gearing I can't imagine a 500hp Small block that could be street driven... as in Daily driven. You can drive anything on the street though, such a broad term.
Ding, Ding, Ding! My thoughts exactly.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
where? After the heads, cam, and gearing I can't imagine a 500hp Small block that could be street driven... as in Daily driven. You can drive anything on the street though, such a broad term..
Originally Posted by Vicious95Z28
Ding, Ding, Ding! My thoughts exactly.
Right now the car is a little short of 500 at the wheels and it is a third household automobile not needed for transportation, but I drive it as much as I can locally. It is my daily grocery store, health club, small errand car and in good weather it’s driven at least five times a week. Even the gas mileage ain’t bad if you drive using a little common sense. I assure you, better than most large SUV’s.

The only issues I have is anytime you run on the edge a car gets fickle and very sensitive to the smallest issue. Pretty **** and keeping it in a high state of tune both aesthetically and mechanically does take a real effort and basically goes with the territory, besides that……Telling ya, it drives close to stock.

Remember, I’ve also had ten years of screwing around trying about everything money could buy with the goal of a fun street car, not a race car. If I wanted a race car I’d do a back-haft first gen with a tall deck big block and a couple of stages of nitrous in a hearbeat.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Knock off the crap.... stick to the question..... all of you.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Denny McLain
If I wanted a race car I’d do a back-haft first gen with a tall deck big block and a couple of stages of nitrous in a hearbeat.
David Houser is that you?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:57 AM

I remember David Houser. Convertable Camaro? If so, I worked on that car many years ago when I worked for L&B.

Sorry...off topic.

Last edited by fast 93 z; 06-22-2007 at 11:06 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by fast 93 z
I remember David Houser. Convertable Camaro? If so, I worked on that car many years ago when I worked for L&B.

Sorry...off topic.

More.......off topic

Same David Houser only he now has a second gen with a 565 Reher Morrison with two stages of nitrous. He'll probaby be at Super Chevy this weekend at Ennis in the King of the Hill class.

We were all part of the origional DFW CFCC club. The last get together was years ago but I still have a hangover from it. Pretty wild party. Fun group.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Retired

Probably around 2-3

It's not easy to attain such a goal while still using the 23 degree heads and a hydraulic roller, while using low enough compression to still use pump gas unless countless hours have been spent engineering and dialing it in.

If there are any, they are VERY few and far between and/or have been converted to use 18 degree heads or other high dollar aftermarket heads or have a large solid roller and/or track-only 13:1+ compression.

Really hard to do with an LT1.

Quick Reply: How many street driven LT1's are making 500+ to the wheel N/A?