LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how much for dual exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 05:58 PM

how much for dual exhaust...

okay, i would like to pick up the gmmg for my car. however, i really cant afford to pay an extra $700 to my setup at the moment. so i was thinking i could have a shop fab me up a dual exhaust setup with some cheap bullets until i can afford something a little nicer. just wondering what this setup would run me though. i havent had a chance to ask around to any shops yet (or just didnt think to earlier today when the shops were open). so thanks for any info.

Btw- ill be running the jet hot LTs w/ no cat. will this sound alright for the time being? Oh, and i wouldnt mind having the exhaust dumped after the muffler, but i would rather it be out the rear of the car to save a little bit of my hearing (little less drone as well). but that might be a cheaper setup, so any ideas on cost for just mufflers and to dump it, let me know. thanks guys.
dave
Old 03-08-2005, 06:38 PM

Re: how much for dual exhaust...

If you can find a shop to fab you up a true dual system out the back, it will cost as much or more than a gmmg. I would just search around on here, and ls1 boards ( gmmg seems more common to them ) and scrounge up a used one. $450ish used. The noise of the bullets will be really loud, and the cost of going all the way out the back will be expensive.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:01 PM

summit x-pipe, some tubing, a couple bends, the bullets, and some tips and you got true duals...over the axle=more expensive, under=less....maybe some guys who are running this setup will pop in
Old 03-08-2005, 08:03 PM

yeah, your probably right. i ought to just do it right the first time so that i dont have to worry about when i'm gonna have the money to do it again. i can fork out the money for this project i guess. i just hate to see even more money disappear .

does the gmmg system hook up to an aftermarket Y pipe that comes off the Long tubes? of course i picked up the JetHot Y pipe and that one i think is going to be centered under the transmission. any recommendations on a different Y pipe if this one wont work?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:17 PM

Naw, it can be done for under $100. A summit 3 in x pipe w/clamps is $89 plus shipping. Just cut the ends to fit your headers and bam, true duals. Now, you might want to put some muffler on there, a add 2(25) for those. Maybe some turndowns 2(16) for those. Pay somebody $50 to weld it up. End it there and you've got a nice free flowing true dual for umder $250. Now, go up over the axel and the price will go WAY up.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:11 PM

I just did this. $89 for the summit x-pipe kit. $22 for hooker header reducers, $130 for the two sweet thunder (GMMG) mufflers and $50 for welding since i have mine exiting the side of the car. I used the useless body brace behind the transmission and some longer bolts. The brace goes underneath of the exhaust and holds it all up. I still have about 3" of ground clearence with side pipes.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:46 PM

I paid about $450 for my set up. It consists of 3 inch mandrel bent piping a hedman x pipe and 18" bullets dumped at the rear axle. The shop I had it done at did a outstanding job on making decent clearance for me. So, I would expect to pay about 400 to 450 for a good true dual setup.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:03 PM

I had my shop extend the duals under the axle and out the back with 60 dollar tips for free, I have had absolutely no trouble driving my car with them going under the axle. If its lowered or you paint it black from teh rear axle to the tips you wont even know its under the axle. Also its EASY to simply drop the exhaust or even sell to a local guy if you wanted a GMMG later since its practically a bolt on deal takes maybe 15 miutes once the car is un the air... unlike an over the axle which needs lots of flanges and gaskets or cutting it apart.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 PM

i had a true dual setup put on mine pretty recently, true duals all the way out the back mandrel bent 3" into 12 1/2" bullets, no cats but stock manifolds so its not too loud (inside the car anyway, i always get ppl tellin me its loud passing by ) anyway mine in total was just over $300 all the way out the back thats including the mufflers and $60 stainless tips. im looking into some different mufflers or relocating mine though because i get the comment of it sounding like a motorcycle a lot... im lookin into the flowmaster 40 race series, looks like itll be nice but pretty pricey =/ im thinkin if i put the mufflers closer to the front itll change the tone a lot, right now they are all teh way at the back close to where the factory one would be, so i think by then the exhuast has cooled too much and doesnt even use the muffler i guess, i dunno what makes it have the motorcycle sound maybe the manifolds, but i dont know of any sound lcips of true duals with bullets on an LT1 that sounds like mine ... anyway good luck deciding
Old 03-08-2005, 11:46 PM

dual 3" is not going over the axel. I have 2 1/2 over the axel, i paid 500 for the custom bend system with 2 bullet magnaflows with tips. It helps if you know the guys doing it. The guy here spent about 7 hours bending the stuff, and made nice mounts on the pipes so i could disasemble the setup.
Old 03-09-2005, 05:41 PM

dual 3" does go over the axle its just a PITA and is hard to keep it from rattling/rubbing but its on there, took the guy about 8 or so hours... started at 9 and finished a few minutes before 5, but rushed at the end and had a few leaks so ended up bein 8 hours after he rewelded the leaking areas, turned out really nice though, very deep idle, and i never have to worry about not flowing enough
Old 03-09-2005, 05:55 PM

I've gone through 5 completely different exhaust setups in the last 2 months. In my opinion, the best sounding was the summit x pipe system I had. It was pretty cheap too. For everything from the flanges back to the turndowns I had right at 200 in it. That was with 12" bullets. I ended taking those off because of the BAD drone and interior vibration at certain RPM's (1600-2000) right where I cruise on the highway in 6th gear. I put a pair of 1 chamber Flowmasters on at it took care of it, but was more quiet at idle. BTW I have Jet hot's and the summit x pipe fit perfectly without any cutting or anything.