LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How much to rethread intake threads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:40 PM

How much to rethread intake threads?

My heads have stripped intake bolt threads. I tried to install heli-coils into the holes but I think I got the angle wrong.

One side will screw in but not the other and vice versa. I am considering a used or a new reman engine if cost of the rethread is too prohibitive.

What does a machine shop generally charge to fix the threads?
Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM

Re: How much to rethread intake threads?

Originally Posted by vincent714028
My heads have stripped intake bolt threads. I tried to install heli-coils into the holes but I think I got the angle wrong.

One side will screw in but not the other and vice versa. I am considering a used or a new reman engine if cost of the rethread is too prohibitive.

What does a machine shop generally charge to fix the threads?
The shop I used for my cam bearings and crank polish charges about $8 for a helicoil.

Some shops may be more or less. Why not just call the shop? Helicoils are cheap.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:40 PM

Are they stock heads, ported, or aftermarket?

Might be better off just getting different heads depending on how bad they are screwed up. If they are stock you could probably get another set for cheap, I have some laying around, let me know.

-Dustin-
Old 12-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Administrator

Have your heads been milled, possibly throwing the intake manifold bolt hole locations "off"?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 PM

The engine was overheated by the previous owner. The block was fine but it needed new heads. So stock new/reman heads were installed.

I think the mechanic did a terrible job. The intake bolts were stripped, the belt was on wrong, and the valvetrain is very noisy.

The intake leaking oil is my reason for doing this. Although, I have removed the engine/trans with the subframe connected because I needed to rebuilt the transmission and noticing the oil leaks motivated me to drop the engine as well.

I don't know if the heads have been milled. Is there a way for me to measure without removing the head? Is there a shim to correct the new angles?

The machine shops I call say they need to see the head first, so no one gave me an estimate. One said I need be cautious about putting new heads on an engine with 130000 miles. He says I can mess up the rings. Is that true?