LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

How to remove back seat, pass seat and frnt sway bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 11:48 AM

How to remove back seat, pass seat and frnt sway bar

How do you remove these things.The sway bar should come out w/ a couple bolts.I think.Where would the back seat bolts be,how many bolts do I have to take out.I need to drop a tenth at the track today.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:58 AM

The front stabilizer bar is attached with links at either end and also the bushings to the chassis. One bolt for each endlink (better have some backups as it's not uncommon to brake these because of corrosion). The bushings each have two bolts, the driver's side also requires that you remove a metal shield, you'll see what I mean. I've never removed the back seat but I believe it's just a bolt on either side once it's unlatched. If you're removing the seat permanently you might as well remove the bottoms (one bolt each if I remember right) and the seatbelts.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Actually, the back seat is the easy one. A single bolt under the front edge of the seat bottoms releases each seat bottom. There is a single bolt through a hinge into a body tab on the lower end of each side of the seat back... a little hard to reach but that's it. Getting the seat belt harness out of the plastic loop is impossible, so you need to unscrew the loop from the end of the seat.

Passenger seat has 4 nuts that attach it to four studs welded to the floor on each corner of the seat, undet little plastic caps.

Front sway bar... unbolt two end links - if rusty they will probably break. Then two bolts on the passenger side bushing. Drivers side is a little more complex because the bushing cap is sandwiched under a metal bracke that hold something - maybe the cruise control box. So there are several bolts and an extra bracket to remove on drivers side.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:59 AM

Backseat is easy, the bottoms where you put your butt, one bolt on each one under the front in the middle. the seatback is a little harder but not much, take off your seatbelt guides and there are two bolts (one on each side) on the bottom of the seatback, remove these and it should pop right out.
I took all my seatbelt hardware out as well but this is an extreme step and makes it harder to put the seat back in cause you got go through alot more.
The passenger seat should be just the four bolts holding it to the floor. Don,t forget to undo your seatbelt guide on that one too.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:00 PM
Banned

rear seats are self explanitory. I just suggest you spray bolts with liquid wrech first. all my bolts stripped and the wrench never slipped
Old 06-27-2003, 12:20 PM

How much do you think that stuff weighs.I'm hoping to gain a tenth off of the weight reduction.How does it feel w/ out a front sway bar.If I like it,I'll just keep it off.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:19 PM

Once you feel the rear seats you will wonder why you took them out. They are really light, it's like a bunch of styrofoam. Passenger seat and sway bar are actually worth it. There will be 2 end links on either side connected to the lower A-arms behind the wheels. Then there are 4 14mm (I think) bolts/nuts holding the sway bar to the body on either side. You'll see em, it's really easy. Passgener seat is 4 bolts on each corner.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:29 PM
Administrator

The butt cushions are practically weightless, as was noted above, but the folding seatback is fairly heavy. To get the full savings, you need to pull the seat belts and harness retractors. I think between the rear seat and the belts its about 35#.

My cloth covered manual front seat (passenger or drivers) is 35#.

The sway bar, with all the bolts, brackets and end links was (I think) 17#.
Old 06-27-2003, 01:44 PM

Yeah, unfortunately the back seats don't way much....I realized that after taking them out. At least I can hear the exhaust a little more with them gone, plus it looks cooler (to me) and if you don't want to give people rides, you have the perfect excuse!!!
Old 06-27-2003, 07:45 PM

I took back rest only on my rear seat.. I guess someone could sit there still?... Didn't think the bottoms worth the bother..
Spare and jack are tho!
Old 06-27-2003, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Mtrhds94Z
I took back rest only on my rear seat.. I guess someone could sit there still?... Didn't think the bottoms worth the bother..
Spare and jack are tho!
I did the same thing.

The rear seat back weighs about 14 lbs.

I actually put mine back in recently.

The jack and spare weigh about 25 lbs total.

I won't be putting them back though.