LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how rich is too rich?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 02:28 PM

how rich is too rich?

hey all,

i just got my new engine together, a mild le2 headed 355 with a mild comp came and 9.5:1 compression,

the tune i got right now is only a base tune from carolina auto masters however the base tune is for a more radical 383 with more cam and compression.

when i run the engine i can tell its too rich by both the sound and smell, im in the process of ordering a wideband meter and what id like to know is whats the richest i can run the engine without doing any damage to the cylinders or rings.

the motor will be dyno tuned however its just not possible in the next few weeks and id like to run and trouble the new engine before then. what kind of change could i expect from switching from svo 30's back to stock 24's ( the tune is for the 30's)

any help would be sweet id hate to hurt my new motor lol thanks guys
Old 03-25-2011, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Re: how rich is too rich?

Why take a chance of running rich and damaging the engine. Get a new "base" tune that is for the engine you have now, not something else. If you can't do that, don't drive it.

Installing smaller injectors may not do anything at part load/part throttle. The O2 sensors will pick up the reduced fuel flow, and the PCM will increase the pulse width using the long term fuel corrections, and add the 25% right back in. And since the PCM will be adding fuel in closed loop, it will use the same +25% fuel corrections at WOT. In effect, gonna run just like it does now.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:23 PM

injuneer, thanks again for the reply big time

what you say about the injectors makes perfect sense so scratch that idea.

so basically, when i do hook up a wideband, whats the richest i wanna let it run at?

my "base" tune cost me $250, however that covers half the $500 dyno tune charge jeff creech charges out of C.A.M, im unsure what hed charge to burn another base tune but i will contact him asap and find out
Old 03-25-2011, 08:13 PM

Just get a mail-order tune for $175 from www.pcmforless.com (or equivalent). It will be FAR more accurate than what you have now.

Heck, I ran 11.0 @ 122 on my mail-order tune for over a year and a half before I had mine actually tuned!

I had best luck with my AFR at 12.8:1.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:10 AM

thanks for the tip ram air,

years ago i bought a pcmforless mail order for a cam only stock engine, i still have the chip, can i send that back and have it re burned? i think i may go this route. nice times btw gotta love AI
Old 03-27-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by sn8ke eatr
thanks for the tip ram air,

years ago i bought a pcmforless mail order for a cam only stock engine, i still have the chip, can i send that back and have it re burned? i think i may go this route. nice times btw gotta love AI
Thanks.

Yeah, they can re-burn you one just fine.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by sn8ke eatr
hey all,

i just got my new engine together, a mild le2 headed 355 with a mild comp came and 9.5:1 compression,

the tune i got right now is only a base tune from carolina auto masters however the base tune is for a more radical 383 with more cam and compression.

when i run the engine i can tell its too rich by both the sound and smell, im in the process of ordering a wideband meter and what id like to know is whats the richest i can run the engine without doing any damage to the cylinders or rings.

the motor will be dyno tuned however its just not possible in the next few weeks and id like to run and trouble the new engine before then. what kind of change could i expect from switching from svo 30's back to stock 24's ( the tune is for the 30's)

any help would be sweet id hate to hurt my new motor lol thanks guys
Why so low a compression ratio...going to forced induction?
Old 03-28-2011, 10:35 AM

sn8ke eatr:
Why 30# injectors? They won't support very much boost. 30#ers would have barely supported the little Powerdyne I use. I can drive my 37#ers to more than an 80% duty cycle. If you're going to boost the motor, don't waste time and money tuning for injectors that barely cover the low comp motor you've built. Get a set of injectors that will support the amount of power you expect to make when completely done and base tune for those.