LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:09 AM

how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

by how much slower is a stock lt1 z28 vs a stock ls1 z28 or any weak points in it that would make much of a difference
Old 05-01-2005, 01:46 AM

Re: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

About .6 I'd say.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:05 AM

Generally the LS1 gets it's speed from the heads and cam that comes stock. There is also a substantial weight difference n the block
Old 05-01-2005, 02:19 AM

Talking Re: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

What is said above me is true, in my opinion.

Also I would say a good 1 secound diffrence, that is my rough figure. I had a 94 new and ran a 14.2 stock and my 02 ran a 13.2, I bought the 02 used though, only mod I could find was a K&N filter, that the previous owner (lady in her 40's) had installed cuz she was told it would help her gas milage.

Also you should know that this is from a dead stop, where the LT-1 has it's best advantage aginst an LS-1(first gear on both cars are practically nose to nose) 2ng gear will put the LT-1s nose at the bumper of the LS-1

Alot of peeps will disagree especially LT-1 people but this is my experience.
I've owned 3 LT-1s and 1 LS-1. I'll never buy an LT-1 again, becuase there are to many problems with them. You can tell just by browsing the LS-1 Tech site and the LT-1 site.

The LS-1 tech is mostly about mods with virtually no problems threads while the LT-1 is mostly about car studerring, car wont start, whats this miss, ex....
I'm browsing the LT-1 tech right now because I was bored in the LS-1 tech room
Old 05-01-2005, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2nd2none

Also I would say a good 1 secound diffrence, that is my rough figure. I had a 94 new and ran a 14.2 stock and my 02 ran a 13.2, I bought the 02 used though, only mod I could find was a K&N filter, that the previous owner (lady in her 40's) had installed cuz she was told it would help her gas milage.

Also you should know that this is from a dead stop, where the LT-1 has it's best advantage aginst an LS-1(first gear on both cars are practically nose to nose) 2ng gear will put the LT-1s nose at the bumper of the LS-1

I've owned 3 LT-1s and 1 LS-1. I'll never buy an LT-1 again, becuase there are to many problems with them. You can tell just by browsing the LS-1 Tech site and the LT-1 site.

The LS-1 tech is mostly about mods with virtually no problems threads while the LT-1 is mostly about car studerring, car wont start, whats this miss, ex....
haha if that isnt the truth lol
Old 05-01-2005, 03:22 AM

I'll never buy an LT-1 again, becuase there are to many problems with them. You can tell just by browsing the LS-1 Tech site and the LT-1 site.

Uhh.. Im gonna have to disagree on this one man.. The LT1's problems are almost always the opti..

The LT1's will usually have more problems because they are all older than the LS1's.. Things start to get old and break... thats life, but when you start talking about problems.. I can list a few that the LS1 guys have that the LT1 guys can just laugh about.. In fact, here goes...

LS1 problems...
1. Knock Sensor issues (oil getting to them and killing them, there is a TSB about this)
2. Oil pumps that will crap out with no warning (mostly on the earlier LS1)
3. PCV issues causing lots of oil consumption
And my favorite..
4. Piston Slap...

LT1 problems...
1. Opti
2. I cant really think of anything else..

Dont get me wrong though, the LS1 is a great motor, but its not the almighty end all engine. The LT1 is a great motor, and I may be biased because I own one, but after driving a friends 99 LS1 (slightly modded) quite a bit (at least once a week, usually 2-3 times a week though) I would take the LT1 anyday.. but then this is all just IMO..

Sorry for the rant...
Old 05-01-2005, 05:43 AM

I'm going to have to disagree with you. Most LS1's at the track run between 13.2 and 13.6. I see it all the time. Go to the track, you'll see them. Of course there are faster ones. Back when I was stock I'd get the edge on them from first all the way to third gear where they would come from behind and fly by. I use to also drive my cousins 94 LT1 stock and the exact same thing would happen. Hmm that's two stock LT1 agains a bunch of LS1 and the same outcome, isn't that interesting. So you’re saying the LT1 was always behind and never gets the edge. I dont' think thats the case. The LT1 has that low down torque that will pull the LT1 forward a bit till the LS1 plays catch up really quick. The LS1 torque range is higher up. Maybe it's time for a tune up? Now I'm racing plenty of LS1 till forth gear and it's nose to nose. The LS1 is the faster car but to say the LT1 never gets the advantage during a race isn't true. Car problems, well, I do see alot of LT1 problems. Such a pain to work on also. Will I buy a LS1 in the future? I don't see it happening since I already have a fast LT1. When GM starts producing a fun car again that doesn cost 50g's, then I'll think about it.

To answer the first question, it really depends on the car and how it's driven but I'd say between .3 to .8 milliseconds.

Last edited by Johnnynsac; 05-01-2005 at 05:58 AM.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:14 AM

Cool Re: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

I guess I’m “old-school,” I really like the LT1 and enjoy accomplishing the performance upgrades associated with that GM engine. When I bought my Z28 (97 w/ LT1), my oldest son asked me why I didn’t get an LS1 Camaro. My answer was, “I didn’t want an LS1. I like the LT1 design and that is the project engine I wanted in my Camaro.” Yes, I’ve been out-run by some LS1s, but I keep making performance improvements and have my LT1 running mid to low 13s in the quarter. Next are the 3.73 gears and TCI Breakaway converter. Hopefully, I’ll be looking at 12s with the gears and converter and a few more performance upgrades.

I know the LS1s make a lot of easy horse power, but more horse power isn’t always the bottom line. Personal preference on your project car (what you want to build) is everything! I’ve put some $$$ and hard work into my old LT1, and I'm very proud of it (everyone has an LS1 these days). You can imagine know how good I’m going the feel, when I “take down” some LS1s in the quarter with my old LT1!

1997 Silver Z/28 LT1-Auto
w/ 30 th Anniversary navy blue stripes and Chrome ZR1 wheels
Kooks Long-Tubs w/ Off-Road Y-Pipe, Cut-Out (no Cats)
Crane 1.6 Roller Rockers, LT4 Valve Springs, MSD Coil
K&N Air Intake, Hypertech Performance Program,
Aluminum Driveshaft, and a few undisclosed upgrades.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by SVThuh
...The LT1's will usually have more problems because they are all older than the LS1's.. Things start to get old and break...
What he said!
Old 05-01-2005, 10:02 AM

The LS1 is just more power from the factory. Either one can be made to beat the other. The money you save buying an LT1 you can take and make your LT1 smoke most LS1's on the road. From reading all the problems, I prefer the LT1. I would rather deal with a crapped out opti than deal with piston slap, blowby, etc... My friends LS1 SS has 40K on it, my LT1 has 90K. He consumes a quart every couple months. The LT1 gets my vote. Head works and a mild cam and you're running 12's.

It really just depends on which body style you prefer. I prefer the LT1's in that area too.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:28 AM

LS1's sound great with full length exhaust dont get me wrong....but a LT1 with Full lenth exhaust sounds wicked!

its all about opinion
LT1 body style beats the "LS1 sebring covert" front end but they still look good
Old 05-01-2005, 10:31 AM

lol, I knew that would happen and to think all I did was sleep and wake up and check my email, lol

For the speed diffrence I'm pretty sure I said roughly, and I'm talking about stock, ofcourse. The LT-1 is a great engine, one of the best!
As for the opti issue, that is not the only issue, the issue is that you are left guessing wether it is the opti, or is it the MAP sensor? No go check the Ignition module, or the spark plugs or the spark plug wires, maybe the MAS Air flow sensor, are your plugs arcing? MAybe your wires are crossed? MAybe it's the coil? DOes this sound familiar to any of you? It's like every problem can be related to every module or crimp in a hose! You see this face , I dont like this face I like this face It's kinda like that commercial, you know the Enzite commercial, I feel like that guy ever since I got an LS-1

Or how about the many people saying don't wast your time guessing, just do this or try this it's a cheap fix, if it didnt work atleast you didnt spend much, lol Well I've had 10 years my share of that. As I remeber when I got my 94 new there were always these problems on the board before there was an LS-1 Tech on this site. I remeber when the LS-1 came out, I was a fathful LT-1 guy and everyone said give them a year or 2 thell have all sorts of problems, well it's been 8 years.

When I went F-Body shopping, I saw a couple of sweet deals on LT-1s and even my wife had to pull me away and tell me to get a LS-1 instead, I'm glad she did
Old 05-01-2005, 11:10 AM

I dunno about most of you or where you guys race, but around here (illinois wisconsin border) the track by us yields pretty bad results for the LS1's. I have never seen an LS1 do a 13.2 stock quarter mile, let alone a 13.6, the best i have seen a stock ls1 do is aobut a 13.8. And my stock time with my lt1 was a 14.2, but i know it should have been faster than that.

I never understand why the tracks that we go to in illinois yield such terrible times... even route 66 in joliet doesnt give very good times to people when we are there.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:10 PM

Which is faster depends on a few things:

1. How much attention the owner of the car in question was given by his/her parents. If hardly any, the engine owned by the person you are talking to will be faster than the other one. IE: if you're talking to an LT1 owner who's parents neglected him, the LT1 is faster, no comparison.

2. Whether or not the person you're talking to has a Midas complex. If so, then obviously anything he/she touches "turns to gold". If they have an LS1, then the LS1 is faster, no comparison.

3. Experience behind the wheel. If the person you're talking to has very little experience with vehicles in general, the engine they own will be the fastest, no comparison.

4. The general mood on the given day of the person you're speaking to. The worse the mood, the broader the gap between the two engines, sometimes to the point of "[insert engine here] engines aren't worth a crap!"

Things such as power to weight ratio, horsepower, torque and all that other nonsense mean nothing.
Old 05-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Silver
Which is faster depends on a few things:

1. How much attention the owner of the car in question was given by his/her parents. If hardly any, the engine owned by the person you are talking to will be faster than the other one. IE: if you're talking to an LT1 owner who's parents neglected him, the LT1 is faster, no comparison.

2. Whether or not the person you're talking to has a Midas complex. If so, then obviously anything he/she touches "turns to gold". If they have an LS1, then the LS1 is faster, no comparison.

3. Experience behind the wheel. If the person you're talking to has very little experience with vehicles in general, the engine they own will be the fastest, no comparison.

4. The general mood on the given day of the person you're speaking to. The worse the mood, the broader the gap between the two engines, sometimes to the point of "[insert engine here] engines aren't worth a crap!"

Things such as power to weight ratio, horsepower, torque and all that other nonsense mean nothing.

Quick Reply: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1