LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 02:01 PM

Re: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

I have to say that I have never had any problems with my Lt-1, only the ones I cause myself. The car has never broken down on me for more than a dead battery. My 95' Z only has 68k on it though. I know there will be a day when I will have to deal with the opti, but that is all I expect to deal with.

IMHO it doesn't come down to the car, it comes down to how the person takes care of it. I am constanty working on my car and learning about it, and doing the things I need to do to keep it running in perfect shape. The last car I had was a 95 v6 camaro with 75k miles on it, when I took to the dealership for work the guys told me, after working on it, they would have guessed the car didn't have more than 30k miles on it, and that who ever takes care of my car does a great job. If you want a car that lasts, take the time to learn about it and take care of it...plan and simple.

I have also been in LS1's, and yeah I like the interior better...but motor wise, I would never give up my LT1. I like the low end to much Also around here, northern Ohio, most LS1's I have seen the track only run a 13.8 or so, nothing really impressive....actually last week there wasn't an LS1 that broke out of the 14's at Dragway 42. There are to many different variables about racing to just say that one car is always going to be faster than the other.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:55 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by Silver
Which is faster depends on a few things:

Old 05-01-2005, 03:23 PM

I like the fact that you can use most every internal engine part from a Gen I small block in the LT1 hence when building a stroker the parts are so much cheaper than an LS1. And the next 4th gen I get I'll put an LTCC on it and get rid of the pesky opticrap and it's associated headaches. I saw a nice 95 Z28 ht auto clean as a whistle for $4000 try that with an LS1.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:36 PM

i happen to like both,i am one of the few 3rd gen guys that has since converted i have been through this sort of debate for ever it seems.i promise my 3rd gen was no slouch either!however it was time to enjoy the 4th gen and move on...
the lt1/4 in my book is a very good engine adapts to mods nicely and the only real problem is the opti spark(big deal)almost becomes part of the tune up process!i love my lt1.....
the ls1 is an awesome engine it has wicked smooth power and it adapts well to mods especially headers,spray and tire(deadly combo on the street)the problem i have experienced through friends isushrods,oil pumps and most of all when you start really adding power they don't like to shift into gears at hi rpm due to throw-out bearing design lastly when you blow up an ls1 you usually have to get another engine to build cause they don't just blow up they GRENADE!!!!!!!!not all but a lot........
the 4th gens are factory power houses however when it comes to cornering,canyon carving they can't touch a 3rd gen but hey gm was more concerned with HP than cornering,i am a dedicated gm fan!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 03:55 PM

Ya 3rd gens handle pretty well, that's for sure. My friend has a lowered one and a few other things, handles like a dream.
Old 05-01-2005, 03:57 PM

I had a 1995 LT1 and now I have my 2002 LS1..
The 1995 LT1 was not stock.
So.. here was my mod list:
SLP CAI, ASP underdrive, 1LE driveshaft, LCA, Pandhard Rod, STB, 3.73's in an A4.
Racing LS1 cars, the outcome was the same often - Off the dig, I would put 2-3 lengthns on them fast.. once we hit about 65-75mph the LS1 cars are coming on fast, by 85+ they are next to me, by the end, they are a couple lenghts ahead..
I added a Borla Y-pipe and Flowmaster Force II catback and all that changed. Now at the track I was winning. I would take an early lead and hold till the end..
but on the street/highway where we would often race into the 120+ ranges I would get walked quickly once we hit 105+...

The problems I had my LT1 are what have me not wanting to ever build another LT1.. My opti was rarely an issue.. I had cooling issues left and right, I spun a bearing after my 3rd time of having my heads off.. All in all I used 2 aftermarket warranty companies and maxxed both out within 3 years..

I bought my LS1 new. I run 13.1's at the track consistantly.. NOT ONE MOD DONE. NOTHING! If you ask me, LS1 is just that much more advanced. I have 60K miles on this car and it hasnt been to the shop. (It does have a SES light on because there is something throwing a code with the "preheater" for the cat.. and thats an emmision part thats covered for another 20K miles.. Ill take it in before inspection time..)

I was going to do a 944 with LT1 but the more I think about it, I want to get an LS1 in there instead..

keep in mind that the low end torque that the LT1 had is not missed by my 2002.. Having that "truck cam" as people call it really does give me quite the power band. I feel as if I have torque everywhere.. from off the line to the top end.

Last edited by psychocabbage; 05-01-2005 at 03:59 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 04:06 PM

When I first bought my 96' I put a magnaflow catback on, bought some Hal shocks and set of BFG drag radials.

With those modifications I'd estimate maybe 4 run-ins with LS1 cars on the road, all from a dig. I didn't once lose a race to ~70 mph... and after that, I shut it down anyways.

So, before we get all caught up in the greatness of the LS1 let me say this... it will most likely come down to..

1) driving skill
2) how well you can get off the line

Yeah... they tie into each other a little but when it comes to street stuff, I've seen a many .5 second quicker cars take a whoopin' because the owner couldn't drive.

-Mindgame
Old 05-01-2005, 04:15 PM

If I only could have been the first person to reply... "Oh boy, here we go!"
Old 05-01-2005, 04:19 PM

Its hard to say , because from what Ive seen on most forums a stock ls1 should easily run mid 12s and lay down anywhere between 280-567 hp stock !!! but dont forget the lt1 lays down about 400lbs of torque at 700rpm so its hard to get exact figures but Id say at least 2 seconds if you ask the ls1 guys or .002 seconds if you ask the lt1 guys.
Seriously tho both motors have thier goods and bad. To be honest I find the ls1 seems to be a more aggressive efficient beast , but the lt1 is alot cheaper and it really comes down to what do you want to spend to be fast. Theres know way I could have afforded a used ls1 car. I still cant figure out how I can afford my lt1.

anyways , id guess .8 seconds in stock form
Old 05-01-2005, 04:34 PM

i also have to say that a few of the ls1 crew act just like the crew from the 5.0 mustang crew,like their ls1 is light years ahead of the primative lt1/4 and the l98 that got them here in the first place,pfffftttt!i have encounterd many cool people but the one that suck remind me of the mustard stains back in the day!
Old 05-01-2005, 04:37 PM

Nah, the problem with people is they read too many magazine articles, 1/4-mile times, etc..

In a street race things are quite different. Sometimes you have to bet on the jockey, not the horse.

-Mindgame
Old 05-01-2005, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mindgame
Nah, the problem with people is they read too many magazine articles, 1/4-mile times, etc..

In a street race things are quite different. Sometimes you have to bet on the jockey, not the horse.

-Mindgame
sooooo true!!!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2005, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mindgame

-Mindgame
True. Supposebly being the underdog is good for me.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:21 PM

I have an lt1 1997 ws6 my friend a 2000 ss my car idles smoother but close to 1000 his 600-700. we both have exhaust him true dual, mine flowmaster. he beat me by a car 1/4 in quarter. both 6 speeds we were pretty even then he pulled away. i think the main difference is that there heads flow better and cam is a lil more agressive. if heads both flowed the same and same cam it would be quite even (weight difference only issue). I know that the lt1 block can handle a lot of abuse. just ask hpe.
Old 05-01-2005, 07:13 PM

Before my exhaust I toyed with TramsAmGT94 on here on the highway from 50 to about 95. He has shorties, a Flowmaster, CAI, pcmforless tune, and a pulley. I pulled about 1.5-2 carlengths on him. I never raced him from a dig, but I imagine I'd be ahead by at least 2 carlengths in a 1/4. Both cars are M6's.

Jason

Quick Reply: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1