LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 07:41 PM

Re: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1

Originally Posted by Mindgame
When I first bought my 96' I put a magnaflow catback on, bought some Hal shocks and set of BFG drag radials.

With those modifications I'd estimate maybe 4 run-ins with LS1 cars on the road, all from a dig. I didn't once lose a race to ~70 mph... and after that, I shut it down anyways.

So, before we get all caught up in the greatness of the LS1 let me say this... it will most likely come down to..

1) driving skill
2) how well you can get off the line

Yeah... they tie into each other a little but when it comes to street stuff, I've seen a many .5 second quicker cars take a whoopin' because the owner couldn't drive.

-Mindgame
very similar to how I put it. .but in your area, perhaps its different.. When we street race from a dig, we are going for a whole 1/4 mile not first to 70mph.. Hence why shutting down that early would still get you the loss around here..
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM

now lets compare it (ls1) since we all agree it's a more powerful engine in stock form, to the hemi because eventually dcx will put out a pony car with that engine.
Old 05-01-2005, 09:50 PM

To me the LS1 is clearly a better car in several ways. They're newer therefor lower miles, less problems and ge better gas mileage not to mension they have significantly more power. I think some people here are unfairly biased. A full second difference in the raceing world is huge. The LS1 is a much more advanced motor and can take an even harder beating in stock form, it also has no opti problems. The bottom line is that the LT1 is a fantastic engine and is a lot cheaper to mod then an ls1 (sounds better to), but the newer engine is a clear winner.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:14 PM

the lt1 is a sbc that has been slightly revised with one main seal reverse flow heads for more compression and opticrap. it's 30 year old technolgy lets say innovated. pushrod design as a whole is old technolgy but it works well (ask nascar guys). the ls1 was r & d for a long time it's a stout engine one inwhich all other engines should be compared to. GM has always made good engines that's what they do. but watch out here comes the new hemi.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by Koby
I have to say that I have never had any problems with my Lt-1, only the ones I cause myself. The car has never broken down on me for more than a dead battery. My 95' Z only has 68k on it though. I know there will be a day when I will have to deal with the opti, but that is all I expect to deal with.

IMHO it doesn't come down to the car, it comes down to how the person takes care of it. I am constanty working on my car and learning about it, and doing the things I need to do to keep it running in perfect shape. The last car I had was a 95 v6 camaro with 75k miles on it, when I took to the dealership for work the guys told me, after working on it, they would have guessed the car didn't have more than 30k miles on it, and that who ever takes care of my car does a great job. If you want a car that lasts, take the time to learn about it and take care of it...plan and simple.

I have also been in LS1's, and yeah I like the interior better...but motor wise, I would never give up my LT1. I like the low end to much Also around here, northern Ohio, most LS1's I have seen the track only run a 13.8 or so, nothing really impressive....actually last week there wasn't an LS1 that broke out of the 14's at Dragway 42. There are to many different variables about racing to just say that one car is always going to be faster than the other.
well if those ls1's were only running "13.8"s than the LT1 will be running mid to high 14's by that statement. granted driver and whatnot, but bottom line, The LS1 has more torque and a good amount more HP than its predessor. i have owned two very nice LT1's and my LS1 i have now and the LS1 is better and faster in every category period. I know it has been said before, but the LS1 is a superior motor and thats it. but i will say that the LT1 is a very fun car, but if money is not an issue, than the LS1 is the obvious choice, but if you want to go fast for cheaper, than get the LT1.
and yes, stock for stock and drivers equal, the LS1 will always be faster than the LT1 even if it is a 2.73 gear stock auto LS1 v. a 6-speed ss LT1 with 3.42's plain and simple.

Last edited by 9TransAM4; 05-01-2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2005, 11:40 PM

The LT1 is a great motor for its cost.

I bought my Z28 M6 in A+ condition for <5K.

Dynoed (came with aftermarket parts) at 307 Hp and burns 1/2 quart every oil change. The amazing thing about that is it has 150,000 miles and is a '93.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Montezuma
To me the LS1 is clearly a better car in several ways. They're newer therefor lower miles, less problems and ge better gas mileage not to mension they have significantly more power. I think some people here are unfairly biased. A full second difference in the raceing world is huge. The LS1 is a much more advanced motor and can take an even harder beating in stock form, it also has no opti problems. The bottom line is that the LT1 is a fantastic engine and is a lot cheaper to mod then an ls1 (sounds better to), but the newer engine is a clear winner.
I would almost agree. The shortcomings of the LS1, though not many, are pretty severe. As was mentioned before with the oil starving issues. I also know a few friends that have missed shifts and overrevved their LS1s bending a few pushrods. And while this can also happen in the LT1, it has a slightly lower ramp rate and doesnt rev quite as high (in stock form). in my opinion it kind plays out as the LT1 being a muscle car, and an LS1 being a sports car, which suits you better?? In terms of abuse, N20 is pretty hard on motors, and stock LT1s generally don't have a problem handling a 150 shot. Given equal drivers, i'd say the LS1 is about a half second faster in the quarter.

Last edited by Dave19yz28; 05-02-2005 at 12:55 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:39 AM

Regarding problems with each, I think we should also take into consideration that any LT1 camaro will be 8 years or older.. and the LS1's are 7 and newer. 8,9,10+ yr old cars will always have more problems.

On the flipside the LS1 is more advanced and definatly a step up from the LT1 technology wise... and perhaps when the LS1's all age a bit more like the LT1's are now a few more things will pop out, probably a bit less but not as much as if you were to compare the two forums now.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Banned

I don't know what a stock LT1 M6 car puts down on the dyno, but a buddy of mine that had a 2001 SS M6 put down 308 to the rear tires in showroom stock trim. There really are no weight differences in the two cars. He has a set of Nascar type scales....his car weighed 3460lbs, as did my M6 94 witha 9 inch rear in it.

He put a lid on the car, no other mods. In perfect weather it went a 12.91@110mph, I was there I saw it. 3 times in the 12's.

My 94 had to have 3.73 gears, light headwork(very light)stock cam,shorty headers, exhaust, roller rockers, K&N CAI and a ecm tune to run 12.80@110. This car made 328RWHP if I remember correctly.

But hey I paid $7800 for the car complete with all the mods, three years ago....

David

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 05-02-2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up to you guys. I've been watching this because it seems that all too often a thread like this turns into a "mine is bigger than yours" type thread. However, lots of good info in this one!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:18 PM

Given equal drivers, i'd say the LS1 is about a half second faster in the quarter.
yep
Old 05-02-2005, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Brent94Z
Thumbs up to you guys. I've been watching this because it seems that all too often a thread like this turns into a "mine is bigger than yours" type thread. However, lots of good info in this one!
mine is freakin huge , much larger than anyone elses.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brent94Z
My thoughts exactly I hate the threads where LT1 and LS1 guys talk **** about each other. We should all be united, laughing at those damn Mustangs .

My .02: I'm currently trying to sell my '95 V6, and my heart is set on a '97 SS. I love the LT1. In my experience, it sounds better, and I LOVE that low-end torque. Don't get me wrong, the LS1 kicks *** (my friends '98 Trans Am is a LOT of fun to drive ), but I think the LT1 has a little bit more of a musclecar feel and sound to it. But whichever one anybody chooses, they're getting one hell of an engine.

In my experince of seeing these cars race, with equal drivers, an LT1 can get a jump on the LS1 off the line because it makes its torque so low. Through 1st and 2nd, pretty good race. But third gear... WOW! LS1 pulls like no other and can put a couple cars on the LT1 in a hurry. AWESOME top end power
Old 05-02-2005, 07:38 PM

I think you can look at the sig for my answer.

TONY
Old 05-02-2005, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by Mindgame
Nah, the problem with people is they read too many magazine articles, 1/4-mile times, etc..

-Mindgame
Halleluyah!... or however you spell it.

Quick Reply: how slower is stock lt1 than ls1