LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Huge bang and now the car barely drives

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 01:19 AM

You need to pull the head....
Old 12-04-2006, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by jjminch
I just swapped it out today and then test drove it. No problems then.
I'm not sure I'm understanding this correctly. When you say "no problems" does this mean the engine is running normally now w/out the power loss?
Old 12-04-2006, 07:07 AM

I would not jump to any conclusions. That would be the very first thing on my list. Buy or rent a compression tester and see what you get. If you have broken or missing parts in the cylinder the compression test will give you FUBAR results. If this is the case you may have to remove the head for further investigation. If not, the back fire (if that's what the bang was) could of dammaged the MAP sensor, or the MAF.

SHORT: Get a compression tester and a scanner. Only after using these tools should you consider taking the engine appart.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:47 PM

Well it was running with no problems for a little while when I posted that. Although that was before the "big bang" theory that I experienced. I'll borrow a compression tester and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 PM

He did mention that he saw parts flying out the back of the car. Even if he melted/broke a piston, I kinda doubt it flew out the back of the car. Internal parts usually take a sizeable piece of the block or the pan out with them if you can actually see them leave the car.

526 is right on. Get the thing scanned for codes first and foremost. Even if you lost a cylinder, it would still run (not great at all) on 7 and should not have that much of a problem driving around normally assuming every thing else is still OK. However, if the thing barely runs at all off of idle, I'd look at ignition. Get the codes first!
Old 12-04-2006, 06:44 PM

have u checked your rear-end? maybe u fubar'd your tranny
get a compression tester, and a scanner, if those clear everything, look into tranny/rear end
Old 12-04-2006, 08:08 PM

last time i heard a big "BANG" i found myself replacing the block because it CRACKED!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 PM

if he saw debris..maybe he ran over something and it messed up something under his car.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by BoozrCruzr
He did mention that he saw parts flying out the back of the car. Even if he melted/broke a piston, I kinda doubt it flew out the back of the car. Internal parts usually take a sizeable piece of the block or the pan out with them if you can actually see them leave the car.
Pieces of rings will exit out of the exhaust. Are you positive it's oil fouled and not gas fouled? If the compression/leak down test comes out good and you are sure it is oil, it would either be the valve seals, guides, or the intake gasket isn't sealing correctly.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:52 AM

I pulled a plug yesterday. It smelled of gas really strongly. Had a little oil on it, but it wasn't a huge amount. Car didn't run any better with the new plug.

Everything else looked fine. I'm picking up a compression tester this week. Had the codes flashed and got a random misfire and a secondary O2 sensor code (haven't got a sim for the rears yet).

Checked underneath the car and everything looked good. The trans was just rebuilt so I doubt it has something to do with that. An axle was just replaced also so the fluid level is fine.

Found a missing header bolt and a leak to go along with it. What size are these bolts? Can reg SBC ones work or no?

Thanks for the help. I just want this thing fixed, had to happen during finals week.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:33 AM

So you deleted the cats and still have the rear O2 sensors trying to work? Will that cause you to lean out and cause more problems?
Old 12-10-2006, 08:35 AM

Everywhere I've read states that the rears are only there to monitor the cat. That's why they can be tuned out. So I don't think that's the issue, but thanks for the reply.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Advanced Member

Good going....kid, Now me and The Madscientist here have to rip the block apart and replace those piston rings you fried.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:12 AM

Ok?
Old 12-13-2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
Good going....kid, Now me and The Madscientist here have to rip the block apart and replace those piston rings you fried.
Originally Posted by jjminch
Ok?
Fast and the Furious quote

Quick Reply: Huge bang and now the car barely drives