LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hypertech Power Programmer III

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2004, 03:50 AM

Hypertech Power Programmer III

Ok i was reading some perfomance stuff and i came accross this lt1 edit thing...

now do these things accually work? or is it another one of those scams?

and it says somewhere in there that u could use the 87 gas or 93 gas options... does it perfom the same?

What are your feelings on this product or ones similar to them?

and last does this one tell u about codes the car is throwing or no?

"Increasing horsepower and torque is as simple as pushing a button with Hypertech's Power Programmer III! You simply plug the Power Programmer into the underdash diagnostic plug, answer a series of "Yes/No" questions, and the Power Programmer does the rest. The Power Programmer is much more than a tuning chop - it is a self-contained automotive tuning computer.
When you connect the Power Programmer to your vehicle, its "smart" program instantly recognized your vehicle's powertrain by reading its Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). The VIN contains specific information on the engine, transmission, and drivetrain, which the Power Programmer decodes before it downloads the Power Tuning program that is precisely tailored to your car or truck.

The Power Programmer lets you choose Hypertech's Power Tuning program for regular 87 octane or premium 93 octane gasoline. Both options improve performance without detonation. After the tuning program is selected, the Programmer automatically installs the tuning program, and allows you to access and reprogram the vehicle's computer to function properly with aftermarket components such as non-stock tire sizes and rear-end gear ratios.

The Power Programmer is incredibly powerful, but it is also incredibly easy to use. Reprogramming does not require any tools or knowledge of cars or even computers - plus you can return to OEM stock programming in just minutes.

FEATURES (depending on year, make, and model)

Hypertech Power Tuning:
Tunes the engine for maximum power and performance, plus potential gas mileage improvements.
Dual Fuel Tuning
Lets you choose tuning for 87 octane or 93 octane fuel
Engine Rev Limiter
Extends the engines RPM range for a wider power band
Cooling Fan On/Off Temperatures
Permits use of low-temperature thermostat for cooler, denser intake charge and lower engine operating temperature
Transmission Shift Points
Optimizes shift points by speed and RPM for maximum acceleration
Transmission Shift Firmness
Firmer full-throttle gear changes for faster acceleration
Top-Speed Limiter
Allows the vehicle's top speed to be matched to the speed rating of high-performance tires
Speedometer/Odometer Correction
Automatically corrects speedometer and odometer readings with non-stock tire sizes and/or non-stock rear-end gear ratios (accurate odometer readings are required by law) "
Old 01-23-2004, 06:39 AM

Get you a mail order tune. If you are obd2 get the obd1 if you have no emissions. I perfer pcmforless.com.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:23 AM

We had a guy in my car club do a before and after dyno--stock program vs Hypertech. He ran first with the Hypertech, then ran with stock programming. Basically, it offered no gains in horsepower or torque. His horsepower dropped with the Hypertech tuning (less than 1) and his torque increased (less than 1)--this was all on a stock vehicle with an SLP CAI.

Hypertech's price far exceeds it's value.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:33 AM

Mixed reviews on the HPPIII. I had one and did back to back testing on my car at the track and it made no improvement in 1/4 mile ET or mph, even with identical 60ft times. That was with a CAI, Flowmaster, 160* thermostat and 58mm TB. Then I was at the dyno shop and saw a 95 Z28 with a CAI and exhaust pick up over 10 ft/lbs of torque in back to back testing.

But for 340$, you can get a mail order tune designed just for your mods and have enough money left over to buy something else for your car.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:46 AM

HPPIII

I have one and have had it since 97. It's only real value to me
is the ability to make basic changes (rev limit, gear correction,
etc.). I have the powerscan cartridge and use it to monitor
parameters once in a while, like when I was troubleshooting
a possible knock retard issue.

For example, the HPPIII sets the engine rev limit to 6,200 for
an F body LT1. Anything over 5,800 is a waste for me so I went
back and changed it to 5,900. I will also use it when I go from
3.42s to 3.73s. Since I am not going with an agressive cam and
have a mostly stock setup (typical bolt-ons) a custom program
won't gain alot for me. (298rwhp/316rwtq)
Old 01-23-2004, 09:49 AM

from my expereince there junk, and id get a tune from madz28.com, Ion is the man when it comes to tuning
Old 01-23-2004, 09:59 AM

HPP is ok for some things but not 'power'[gear changes rev limiter speed limiter fan temps etc]it can only be used on one car at a time[VIN locked]

LT1 Edit is it's OWN product[ a way to reprogram with a laptop] better than HPP by far..[also VIN locked]
For OBDI[you have that, 94] Tunercat is best[ my opinion]
It's cheaper than LT1 Edit, and is not VIN specific..
If you have a laptop, [with a serial port] all you need is a cable to plug into under the dash, and Tunercat.. and a lot of reading etc to learn how to use it..
Old 01-23-2004, 05:28 PM

I installed it in my car, and I didnt even notice a difference in power at ALL. I was very disappointed. The only good thing about them is they are very good about speedemoter calibrations. But as for power, not a damn thing.....