LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hypertech Programer

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 07:56 AM

Question Hypertech Programer

Please give me your thoughts on the Hypertech Programer? Any gains? Seat of the pants gains? Etc? Also, who has the best price?

TIA!

Jeff
95 Z28 AOD
Old 11-19-2003, 08:39 AM

I used the hypertech power programmer on my 95Z and got great gains. In combination with the 160 thermostat from hypertech, the programmer took 6 to 8 tenths of my 1/4 mile, make the car shift stiff and hard to where you get knocked back, all around better performance and they only run about 3-4 hundred. Highly suggest getting one, plus you hve the option to change shift points, speedo calibration on the spot, and much more to account for tire size etc.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:45 AM

Don't know what kinda mods you have... but if you are spraying the car, don't use the "Hypertech Engine Tuning." It messes with your timing... that's only if you are spraying, if not have at it.

I love my hypertech. I need to get to the track with it.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:54 AM

Waste of money, do a search, this has been discussed many times. If you want tuning, get some real tuning from a mail order place (I recommend Madwolf) or fine a local area tuning. I've been tuning PCMs for a while now, and all the HPP does is change shift points, increase trans pressure (actually a bad thing when using the PCM, will cause premature tranny failure) and adjust the fan temperature. Any mail order tuner will charge about $50 to do this, $100 at the most. For the $350 you can buy a used laptop, the ALDL to serial interface cable, and Tunercat with LT1 FLASH def file and tune the car yourself. Don't waste your money on an HPP.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:12 AM

HUUUUUUGE Wast of money

I had the Hypercrap for about two months before I switched to a custom tuning. For HALF the price of the Hypertech, u can get a mail order tune, like pcmforless, madwolf, Ed Wright, etc. A home tune will also give u a better power increase as well as better driveability over a Hypertech.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:03 PM

MY hypertech with a custom supercharger program works great. I really can't say much about the mail order type of tunes, because I have heard both good and bad about them. Almost as much as the hypertech. Just in my case the thing works great. I have asked before about guys that have said negitave things about the hypertech in supercharger applications, and I never got any response about the actual hands on experance only second hand knowledge and the such. (This is in reguards to custom SUPERCharger programming not "stock" programming). So for me with a car that is not heavly modded (I only have a "stock" rebuild, headers, exhaust, supercharger) the programmer has worked great, But if I were to get heavly into the motor ie stroked, NOS, bigger blower, cam etc, then I would look into other computer programmers, but as I said in the past nothing beats a good dyno tune. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:27 PM
Advanced Member

Ok...IU'm starting to get the idea that Hyperjunk is great for Autos but not ideal for Manuals?
Old 11-19-2003, 01:42 PM

I liked my hypertech. I could tell a difference. But they are only for stock or light mods. They even say so on the website.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:59 PM

I've got one. They are pretty much worthless for a manual, unless your car is under warranty. If u have a tuned pcm and u take it in for service, say goodbye warranty. The shift points for the automatic part is the best overall. Don't use the shift firmness feature, that builds up line pressure and kills your tranny. I dropped .3 in the quarter just messing with shift points. I think i prolly could have knocked another .1 second but we left after that. Get a used one off ebay, dont pay full price for one. Just to let u know Ed wright tuning costs $500 and most other tunes cost just as much as u could get a programmer for on ebay or more. However, dyno tune is the best, but also quite costly (hence ed wright tuning). I also like it for its adjustability. you can change whatever u want whenever u want too. -Michael
Old 11-19-2003, 03:05 PM

Originally posted by DOOM Master
Waste of money, do a search, this has been discussed many times. If you want tuning, get some real tuning from a mail order place (I recommend Madwolf) or fine a local area tuning. I've been tuning PCMs for a while now, and all the HPP does is change shift points, increase trans pressure (actually a bad thing when using the PCM, will cause premature tranny failure) and adjust the fan temperature. Any mail order tuner will charge about $50 to do this, $100 at the most. For the $350 you can buy a used laptop, the ALDL to serial interface cable, and Tunercat with LT1 FLASH def file and tune the car yourself. Don't waste your money on an HPP.
Wise man!! ^^^^
Old 11-19-2003, 03:34 PM
Administrator

I had one back when I was starting out racing with light mods. Accounting for weather and track conditions I consistently ran slower with the power programming loaded than with the stock program.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:13 PM

To begin with, you don't need tuning unless you are getting a cam. You might realize some small gains with tuning the A/F with no mods, however, when you consider the cost/hp ratio, you are spending too much for too little.

If you are stock, and you can get a hypertech for next to nada, then you can use it to program your fans for a 160 stat, and your shift points on an A-4, but forget about A/F.

If stock, use your money for CAI w/perf. filter, etc.

If cam, etc. get a Mail-order (dyno, better yet). Oh. And if you buy one on the cheap from someone, esp. E-Bay, beware if they fail to deprogram their PCM before they sell it, because it only works on one vehicle at a time.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by BUBBA
To begin with, you don't need tuning unless you are getting a cam. You might realize some small gains with tuning the A/F with no mods, however, when you consider the cost/hp ratio, you are spending too much for too little.

If you are stock, and you can get a hypertech for next to nada, then you can use it to program your fans for a 160 stat, and your shift points on an A-4, but forget about A/F.

If stock, use your money for CAI w/perf. filter, etc.

If cam, etc. get a Mail-order (dyno, better yet). Oh. And if you buy one on the cheap from someone, esp. E-Bay, beware if they fail to deprogram their PCM before they sell it, because it only works on one vehicle at a time.
I would have to disagree. I have seen consistend 13-15 RWHP gains on a stock car. A little more with a few boltons. Even have graphs to prove it.

$80 NOT worth 13-15 RWHP and 13-17 RWTQ? I think it's worth every penny of it, but then again, that's just my personal opinion.
Plus, there's a lot of other things you can tune at the same time. (like fans, skip shift, etc)
Old 11-19-2003, 04:43 PM

I beg to AGREE with your disagreement. I DO believe that you can realize gains from tuning, even on a stocker.

Just saying that, you might as well wait until you get a cam, etc. if you don't even have a CAI, since it is one of those mods you'd want anyway.

I believe that since factory tuning is on the conservative side that there are usually good gains from A-Market tuning. The amount of gains, however, will be based on other mods.

If, however (and I don't dipute this) you can get a consistant 10-12 RWHP increase by simply leaning out a stock PCM, and the price is right, by all means go for it.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by fozziez28
Just to let u know Ed wright tuning costs $500 and most other tunes cost just as much as u could get a programmer for on ebay or more.
Yeah, and Ed Wright has so far managed to destroy the engines of a number of people's cars (I know of at least 1 personally, and I'll be tuning his car from now on). He's overpriced, overrated, and doesn't know half of what he is doing. Both PCMforless and Madwolf (MadZ28.com) charge around $50 to $100 for their mail order tuning, which is a WAY better price than $350 for a hypertech. Like I said before, if you want some good tuning for a bolt-on/stock car, go to Madwolf, he does a great job. I not only recommend him because he is a sponser of this site (a definitely plus), but I also talk with him a lot and he's a damn good guy who knows his stuff.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Programer