LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hypertech programmer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 03:08 AM

Hypertech programmer

I'v Been debating getting a hypertech for my Z28, its just kind of hard for me to drop over 3 bills for something that Im not really sure will make that much difference. Also is a CAI system a big difference in perfomance than the k&n air filter? Last but not least does anyone know who makes CA. legal headers that I could get and around how much?
Thanks guys.
Old 09-06-2008, 06:35 AM

I wouldn't waste the money on the programmer, it is basically an overpriced gadget to change rearend gear ratios and adjust fan on/off temps. If you spend half that, you can get a mail-order tune, get the same results and some. For the headers, you'll probably need something that has a CARB certification.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:48 AM

i got a hypertech for sale in for sale section that will fit your year. asking $150 OBO
Old 09-06-2008, 11:59 AM

Save your money and get a mail order tune. I only paid $75 for mine. I uploaded it after he sent me an email. Just needed laptop and cable.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:07 PM

mail order tune would be the way to go. I got one from Ion and had it in like two or three days. Intial price was still cheaper the the hypertech then got like a hundred bucks refunded when i sent him my old pcm back.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:25 PM

Hey guys, I dont now anything about the mail order programs, will these still allow my car to pass california smog check, or do I need to replace it with the stock computer at check up time?
Thanks for all of your help..
Old 09-08-2008, 11:34 PM

I have added a supercharger among other things and had a mail order tune and passed with flying colors. I don't live in Cali so I have no idea how hard they are.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:25 AM
Administrator

Given the fact that your engine is still "stock", the mail-order tune isn't going to affect the way the engine performs during an emissions check. At this point, the main thing they would be doing is leaning out the A/F ratio at WOT, to pick up 10-15HP. They don't run your car at WOT in an emissions check. In any case, it will run cleaner with the leaner WOT (power enhancement, or PE mode) A/F ratio.

A CAI is the best first mod.... at least 10HP. I found a CAI and a catback picked up 3/10th's back in 1994 when I first bought the car.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 PM

Ive seen a before and after dyno for a CAI anc catback. 28rwhp, 31rwtq. Moroso cai, hooker catback. While you at it throw on a set of headers. Many are emissions legal.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Edelbrock makes emission legal headers for the 96-97 dual cat cars, I don't know about Cali but here in Maryland on OBD II cars they don't do the simulated road test. They just plug up the cable to the diagnostic port and check for codes.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM

Just make sure that your tuner does NOT hide the readouts. If the E cops can't read your PCM, you will not pass. I am pretty sure that most, if not all--now-- do not hide the readouts, however this has not always been the case. So just make sure when you order your tune. BTW, when I had mine tuned, I just picked up a used PCM on the cheap and sent it in for the tune and kept my stocker for a backup. JMHO
Old 09-09-2008, 03:37 PM

I have the Hypertech tune on my 00 SS and 94 & 96 vettes ~ all stock. I'm very happy with them & the ability to lower the fan starts was worth the price alone to me. Also talked with their Tech Rep at Corvettes @ Carlisle a couple weeks ago & was impressed. My cars all pass Maryland emissions w/ the Hypertech tune in place. Check on EBAY and you can often get a good price ~ just make sure the programmer is not VIN locked.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:19 PM

I disagree that the hypertech is worth anything more than a paper weight. Its ok for an A-4 if you are changing wheel sizes or shift points and fans, if you you have a 160 stat, however as far as tweeking tweaking the A/F for increased power with a leaner than stock burn, it doesn't do much.

So unless it was free and you got a side of fries with it, I would pawn it off on someone else--who you don't care for--and get a mail order tune.

With a MO tune you get the A/F, the 160 stat tune (if you have one) rpm limit bumped up, etc. You might also ask for an LT4 knock sensor so that if and when you get headers, or anything else that might produce excess noise that might be intrepred as "knock" retarding your timing along with loss of power. We have some good MO tuners on this site. Usually they charge you an initial fee for the first tune and give you a discount on any subsequent tuning to accommodate power adders, bigger cams, bigger injectors, etc.

Not flaming anyone who likes the hypertechs, just passing opinions of many along for food for thought.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:36 PM

And....just as an aside: adjusting the fp from the stock 43-46 to around 38 can show an increase as much as 17 RWHP, however the PCM tends to adjust the opening of the injectors to bring the A/F back in line with stock, resulting in short lived increase in power. That being the case, if the tuner can actually fine tune the A/F to lean it out a bit, you have the possibility of actually realizing that increase in RWHP because the computer is configured accordingly. Having opined this about that, I do not believe that the hypertech can equal that performance. To really max a tune, you should take advantage of a dyno tune if you ever do some serious mods.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:05 PM

In re: headers, SLP makes shortie headers for both single and dual-cat exhausts---. Not the best configuration, but for legal header not too bad.

The main reason for the short headers is to comply with the law that says you can't move the stock position of the cats. Long tube headers will provide better power if you dare take the risk in CA.

As far as CAI----no such animal as Cold Air Intake. The air is no colder than the ambient temp. The more appropriate name should be open-air intake. I.e, the intake and filter are exposed rather than in a box. The K&N filter may flow better, but it is still in a box, whereas a CAI (is a filter exposed to the open air and depending on the routing can be a bit cooler and fresher. Adding a gauze filter like K&N or Holley is supposed to increase the flow over the stock paper filter----and it will last a life-time if you clean and oil in on a regular basis.

Quick Reply: Hypertech programmer