LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Hypertech Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 02:51 PM

Hypertech Thermostat

Hey everyone, i just bought the hypertech 160 degree thermostat for my 95 z28 m6 and it only cost 16.46 is that a good deal?? how hard is to install on my car because i have to drain some coolant to do it right? also did any of yours come wiht the rubber gasket that seats with the thermostat in the hypertech box. i didnt get a chance to ask the guy if it came with one or not. thanks guys and i will probably replacing my low coolant sensor also when i go to put my thermostat in. i still have to buy one gmpartsdirect is the cheapest place i have found but have any of you guys fuond it or bought it cheaper and for how much gmpartsdirect.com has it for 32 i think shipped or so!
Old 07-29-2003, 04:12 PM

You paid a fair price.

Thermostat change. If you will be doing your low coolant sensor, you will need to drain some coolant.

The new thermostat should come with the rubber o-ring gasket attached.

Gmpartsdirect price may be ok if they are not soaking you on shipping. I prefer to buy from Jason or Dal.

Dal Slabaugh: 877-448-5451
email: lockitup@bright.net
VanDevere Buick/Pontiac/Olds Akron, OH

Jason Cromer: 877-726-8295 or 850-243-8826 (direct parts dept ph #)
email: gmparts@samtaylor.com
Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac Ft. Walton Beach, FL
Old 07-30-2003, 08:45 AM

Shoe box- how much would dal and jason sell me the part for. how much would it cost to ship i think its 8 or 12 bucks from gm partsdirect i have to check again. oh also one more question i have to use the rtv high temp gasket maker sealant on it also right?
Old 07-30-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by EaC95Z28
Shoe box- how much would dal and jason sell me the part for. how much would it cost to ship i think its 8 or 12 bucks from gm partsdirect i have to check again. oh also one more question i have to use the rtv high temp gasket maker sealant on it also right?
They sell at wholesale prices and charge actual shipping (Vandevere may have a small handling charge). Gmpartsdirects likes to lower the price of the part and charge more for shipping to make up for it.

No gasket sealer is used on the thermostat housing. Just the o-ring.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:32 AM

I never thought that I would disagree with Shoebox.......BUT... and remember Shoebox has a plethra of knowledge and has helped me out several times........ As far as not needing gasket material on your thermostat housing and just using the o-ring gasket....this game me problems.....I didn't use gasket material and it leaked.....I put a small amount of gasket material on it and it fixed my problem.....But, don't put to much on it. Just enough to give you the extra peace of mind...... Not sure why mine didn't work right with just the o-ring gasket but the gasket material fixed it up........
Old 07-30-2003, 10:43 AM

i didnt put any material around my housing. worked great. each car is different i guess
Old 07-30-2003, 12:23 PM

You might also get by with just cleaning the low coolant sensor. I was told its just a float level type sensor that gets gummed up and can be taken out and cleaned. I haven't confirmed this yet cause I really dont wanna drain the radiator till I have to. Might save a 32 dollars if it works out ok. I will continue to live with my red light in the dash on.
Old 07-30-2003, 02:39 PM

Well ima still clean the old one when i take it off but i want to be sure that it will still be good so im just gon to spend 33 bucks to get one. so then it will be new and hopefuly i wont have to worry about it anytime soon! so how long has yours been on? mine came on about a month ago and thought my motor was overheating and comes to find out its fine and plenty of coolant!
Old 07-30-2003, 02:48 PM

Mine came with the Oring.... Thats the only gasket I needed, It has never leaked... ever. Cleaning the Coolant level sensor only ruined it.. no its not the lever type....it has one inmovable metal part that senses the coolant level and once I cleaned it .... it stopped working. Yeah I ruined it.

Change your coolant.... its only like 7 dollars for the gallon.... cheap cheap cheap.

Marvin
Old 07-30-2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by jdvm95Z28
I never thought that I would disagree with Shoebox.......BUT... and remember Shoebox has a plethra of knowledge and has helped me out several times........ As far as not needing gasket material on your thermostat housing and just using the o-ring gasket....this game me problems.....I didn't use gasket material and it leaked.....I put a small amount of gasket material on it and it fixed my problem.....But, don't put to much on it. Just enough to give you the extra peace of mind...... Not sure why mine didn't work right with just the o-ring gasket but the gasket material fixed it up........
The housing is supposed to be precision machined so that no gasket is needed. If you have a leaker (maybe a beat up core from a rebuilt unit or whatever), then obviously do what you need to do. Mine had been off/on many times and never a leak.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:31 AM

I was getting ready to change the spark plugs last night and noticed some antifreeze on the front edge of my thermostat housing and a little on top of the water pump. I am assuming the thermostat housing is leaking, is this common on LT1's? Car has 103k miles. Thanks.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by ZZtop
I was getting ready to change the spark plugs last night and noticed some antifreeze on the front edge of my thermostat housing and a little on top of the water pump. I am assuming the thermostat housing is leaking, is this common on LT1's? Car has 103k miles. Thanks.
Don't assume it is the housing. It might be the hose that is seeping. I would not say that the housing leaking was common. In fact, this is the first thread I have seen that even discussed it. Be aware that the bolts are only to be torqued to 89 lb. in.
Old 07-31-2003, 08:23 AM

I will definitely check the hose, but is it possible that the previous owner over torqued the housing and that crushed the O-ring, causing it to leak? The bolts are real tight, definitely tighter than inch pounds.
Old 07-31-2003, 03:23 PM

Originally posted by MentalCaseOne
Mine came with the Oring.... Thats the only gasket I needed, It has never leaked... ever. Cleaning the Coolant level sensor only ruined it.. no its not the lever type....it has one inmovable metal part that senses the coolant level and once I cleaned it .... it stopped working. Yeah I ruined it.

Change your coolant.... its only like 7 dollars for the gallon.... cheap cheap cheap.

Marvin
Cheap? I'm not cheap. Lazy, not cheap. I've got antifreeze in the garage to do it. Just dont wanna. The light dont bother me. It's red so its easy on the eyes . Just like that damn seatbelt light that only goes off when you're wearing it. Now if those things were a little brighter like white, that'd suck. Would probably have to change the sensor and wear the seatbelt.

As for EaC95Z28's question about how long its been on. It started coming on about 4 or 5 months ago. Had me really freaked out the first time it did it. But after seeing I still had plenty of coolant and the lines were in fact bled, I figured the sensor was bad. After reading a lot of the posts on this board, I realized I was right. I'll fix it someday, I promise