LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I am back to f-body world. some questions!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 02:17 PM

I am back to f-body world. some questions!!

after owning 06 stang GT for 8 months and then trading her into a 2003 cobra (I still have it) decided to sell the cobra too and get back into my lovely 97 LT1 formula and drive her around and enjoy the no monthly payment days. the car has been sitting in the garrage for over a year WITHOUT starting or driving around. I just put a new alternator and battery in it and it started.

my questions are:

1- I just bought mobil-1 10w-30 high mileage oil ( 6 qrts.) and bosh oil filter and changed the oil. is mobil-1 10w-30 good for our cars? (I have 134k miles on) and 6qrts is enough?

after this, i will start using royal purple 5w-30. I LOVE it on my cobra but not sure on this car.

about coolant. I drained the coolant and then i filled the system with water and then i ran the car for 5 mins, then drained the water and then i put prestone 50/50 coolant in it. i bit less than 1 gallon (it woulnd't take anymore. did I do it right?

BTW: my heater still blows cold. I checked 2 hoses going through the heater core i think and one was cold and another one was hot.

here is a picture:

I gotta make sure this thing runs good without problems. Let me know if i need to do anythingelse. and Help me on heater please (I posted a thread about it already on tech section)

thanks!!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:27 PM

I would try bleeding the system some more. You may have air trapped in your heater core. If that doesn't do it you may need a new heater core.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:34 PM

For next time - stock oil capacity is 5qts. You may even want to try and get a qt out so the oil doesn't get slapped and frothed up by the crank.

Oh yeah - Welcome back .
Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by bingo
I would try bleeding the system some more. You may have air trapped in your heater core. If that doesn't do it you may need a new heater core.
it is a new heater core! it used to work fine but dealer said that i needed to replace it and i was dumb about cars then and i said OK then ever since they replaced it, it never blew hot! i dont know why!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by ricehammer
For next time - stock oil capacity is 5qts. You may even want to try and get a qt out so the oil doesn't get slapped and frothed up by the crank.

Oh yeah - Welcome back .
thanks man! i will dray a little to make it safe!
Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by DIYAR21
it is a new heater core! it used to work fine but dealer said that i needed to replace it and i was dumb about cars then and i said OK then ever since they replaced it, it never blew hot! i dont know why!
i would have taken it back to them and told them it wasn't right.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator

When you only drain the radiator, you only drain 1/2 of the old coolant out. The other 1/2 is still in the block. Add fresh water to the radiator and circulate it, and drain the radiator again, and you have now removed 3/4 of the old coolant, but the other 1/4 is still trapped in the block with an equal amount of water. Best way to fully empty the old coolant out is to drain the radiator, and pull both block drains (one of which is the knock sensor).... easier said than done, because the motor mounts are in the way.

If the heater supply hose is hot, and the return hose it cold, the heater core is plugged. Pull the hoses off (front connections, not the firewall connections), and flush the core with a garden hose. Just make sure you don't hit it with full water pressure until there is some evidence of flow through the core... or you may exceed the core's design pressure.
Old 11-09-2007, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
If the heater supply hose is hot, and the return hose it cold, the heater core is plugged. Pull the hoses off (front connections, not the firewall connections), and flush the core with a garden hose. Just make sure you don't hit it with full water pressure until there is some evidence of flow through the core... or you may exceed the core's design pressure.

any picture of which hose I am gonna pull? I really dont know the locations of those. do i work from under the hood or inside the car?

thanks!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:42 PM

What injuneer means is pull both heater core hoses off under the hood.....put a garden hose in one of the hose outlets and lightly allow the water to go through until it comes out of the other outlet...the core is prob. plugged up...just flush it out...
Old 11-10-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by ricehammer

Oh yeah - Welcome back .
I believe it only holds 4 1/2 quarts, unless you run the bigger filter. I could be wrong though.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Administrator

The Owner's Manual show 5.0 Qts, and it always worked for me.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:41 PM

so should i pull the hose on the right and put a garden hose through the heater core and flush it?

I know the left hose is for A/C.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Yes, I would try flushing the heater core first. It is not uncommon for them to get clogged up with gunk causing a loss of heat in the interior cabin.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DIYAR21

so should i pull the hose on the right and put a garden hose through the heater core and flush it?

I know the left hose is for A/C.
Are you reading the responses? People are trying to help you.

Those hoses are the heater supply and return hoses, not for AC. The AC is run off hard lines to the box off to the left in the photo. One hose is hot because its the supply line. Most likely, nothing is going through the core, so the other side is cold.

As has been mentioned at least twice, take BOTH the hoses off at the front of the engine, not at the firewall. Run water in one side using a garden hose, let the water run out the end of the other hose. Make sure you do not get the Opti wet. Shoebox has a diagram of the 95-97 heater hose routing. Follow that:

http://shbox.com/1/heater_hoses.jpg

FYI, this is the A/C plumbing.

http://shbox.com/1/ac_system.jpg
Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

As has been mentioned at least twice, take BOTH the hoses off at the front of the engine, not at the firewall. Run water in one side using a garden hose, let the water run out the end of the other hose. Make sure you do not get the Opti wet.
I do read the posts and remember i have NO clue about this so it is kinda hard for me to get. you guys have idea and it sounds very easy and i understand that. something very easy for me would be very hard for some of you even if i explain it many times.

shobox's diagram kinda gives me an idea of which hoses i should pull but let me confirm please:

I am sorry being such a pain.

Quick Reply: I am back to f-body world. some questions!!