LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I did it, first ever throttle body washer tank pass. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:54 AM

Re: I did it, first ever throttle body washer tank pass. PICS

Originally Posted by kainZ
And, I'm still of the opinion that in the interest of simplicity, less is more.

For the amount of hp you'd (maybe) gain (with an electric setup), I really don't think it's worth the weight, time, money, complexity, etc.

Less weight = Better acceleration, better braking and better handling.
its prob not much, but weight? it may add 5 lbs... if your worried so much about 5 lbs... shouldnt ppl goon diets before they race?

lucky for me... i have the skinny driver mod already.. being 5'6 and 125lbs good for something eh? lol

-cory-
Old 05-13-2005, 01:21 AM

Hahahaha, I was thinking EXACTLY that this morning.. I'm also pretty skinny, but I know a lot of people who should worry about losing 20 pounds of bodyfat rather than spending a few hundred dollars on 20 pounds of weight reduction on their car.

But back on topic, I wasn't referring so much to the 5-10 pounds he'd be adding /w the electric motor as I was to having the entire AC system at all on a gofast car. The condenser, compressor, acumulator, lines, etc, etc. add up to quite a bit of weight..

I just think rather than add more to that (or just replace all with electric as I originally mentioned) in an attempt to harness it to make an extra HP or two, you'd be better off removing the entire system (as most racers do).

Anyway, just my $0.02.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:13 AM

I totally agree it wouldn't be worth it to do the hole ac setup. I just like to through around ideas for the fun of it.
Old 05-13-2005, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by luckyou03
I totally agree it wouldn't be worth it to do the hole ac setup. I just like to through around ideas for the fun of it.
Nothing wrong with that
Old 05-13-2005, 09:23 AM

Don't get me wrong, I think the idea of using the washer tank essentially as a cool can is a creative idea, but if faster 1/4 mile times or better handling is the goal, wouldn't it be better to just remove the washer tank? not that the tank and pump weigh much, but if the tank is full of fluid/ice, then it adds a fair amount of weight to the very front of the car. This hurts weight transfer and handling... How much fluid does the washer tank hold? 1-2 gallons would be my guess... That's between 8 and 16 pounds of liquid if it is full plus the weight of the tank and pump...

Again, I like the idea, but wouldn't it be more productive to remove the tank?
Old 05-13-2005, 10:02 AM

I drove for an hour today and temp bairly got above the first mark, like 165* and when I poped the hood and felt the throttle body it was cool, not warm at all. usually I could burn my hand on it, and the car would climp to 215, 220* when sitting for a few minutes, no more heat problems.

LT1 run so much better when they are as cold as possible so this is why I did i
Old 05-13-2005, 10:30 AM

I'd love to see some dyno numbers if you happen to know any shops in the area who might be interested in giving you a few runs just to aleviate their curiosity about its effectiveness...

You could put in a switch, keep it turned off, drive a bit to warm it up, and pull a few hot runs, then turn it on, drive it around a bit to cool it down, and pull a few cool runs.

It'd be interesting to see.. even better if you could datalog your IAT and ECT readings!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:22 AM

I find this interesting as well and would like to see before and after results and some datalogs. This mod would be good for those looking a for a cheap quick mod. Some people may be sceptical of it or think it's small results but then why are we doing TB bypasses if it's so petty. I'm sure ever bit counts to keep the TB cool and would like to hear updates.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:05 PM

i would just be worried about having the throttle body be so cold sitting right nxt to a hot engine if it would warp any of the metal at all. or if any of the gaskets would be hurt by this... not sure if its anything to be concerned about but you never know
Old 05-13-2005, 01:13 PM

That really dont matter because at WOT the comprosor shuts off. So that if you need to pass somone you would not have the comprsor robbing the motor of anything.
Originally Posted by Blownbird355
A friend and I thought this up about 8 yrs ago when I first got my S/C. My argument was the extra drag caused by the compressor. So to make it efficent you would need an electric compressor or driven compressor. A production car or a prototype car of some sort actually has a system but, I;m not sure if it is electric or mech.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by 97SLPcamaroSS
That really dont matter because at WOT the comprosor shuts off. So that if you need to pass somone you would not have the comprsor robbing the motor of anything.
I think something implied is that this would be used for extra power when racing.. and when racing, you spend most of your time at WOT. Therefore, this would be even worse in that case (inactive).

Furthermore, the point was that the costs would outweigh the gains, so even for daily driving, when the AC was running, you'd be losing more power than you were gaining.

The only reason to do this would be if you were bored, and you planned on keeping your AC anyway (tunneling half into the cabin, and half into the intake, for example).

In that case, you make back at least a little bit of the power you are being robbed of while using your AC, and still stay cool.. its just a (albeit probably very slightly) more efficient AC setup.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:42 PM

Very creative idea. It brings back memories of trying to shut off the alt in order to gain a HP or two at the track a few years a go. I think it was deemed the "longest thread ever" with hundreds of replies. Basically it turned out to be almost no gain, but it was fun trying it out.

My 383 generates a lot of heat, so much that touching the valve covers can burn you in a second. The TB is hot too, but not as severe. I don't use the windshield washer fluid since I never drive my Formula in the rain, so I might just give this a shot. The only thing I would add is probably some kind of cooler in or around the tank.
Old 05-13-2005, 03:29 PM

great idea...the cooler the intake charge I'm sure will make some difference.
Old 05-14-2005, 10:33 AM

Someone throw a detailed package together indicating what is needed, price and part numbers and let's test it out. I'll try it out since I have some spare time.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:23 PM

I'm working on it

Originally Posted by Z06Z28
Someone throw a detailed package together indicating what is needed, price and part numbers and let's test it out. I'll try it out since I have some spare time.

Quick Reply: I did it, first ever throttle body washer tank pass. PICS