LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I got my old opti out! Im almost positive this was my problem!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 11:25 AM

I got my old opti out! Im almost positive this was my problem!

I took my opti out this morning and I am pretty sure this is my problem. I first tried shaking it, and something is rattling around inside, like a cheap chinese toy. Second, I looked at where the dowel sits inside the opti and I could see a strong mark where the cam dowel touched in the inside wall of the opti. Third, the bearing was obviously shot, there is play left to right and in and out. I am able to pill it out and spin it but when I push it in and spin it, I hear a scraping noise inside of it.

Well this is just a lesson, check your dowel lengths on your comp cam's!

Now out of curiousity, what inside the opti caused my headers and stuff to glow red as well as make my car not idle etc...?
Old 04-18-2003, 12:26 PM

my car is misfiring slightly when I heat up my tires I notice it. I'm doing wires and plugs this weekend first. Then I'll look at a rotor/cap and cleaning the opti, and if that does not work I'm going to spend 150 bucks more and get the Dynatech version.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:29 PM

The hedders glowing I think means you are running very rich.

Which a bad opti could cause.

I'm thinking mine is bad too, but I'm replacing most of the other stuff first just to see if it was something else, and if it is the opti then it will have all new stuff the run with when it goes in.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:30 PM

An opti is currently $195 from Jason Cromar in FL the billet version from dynatech (is that right?) is like $600
Old 04-18-2003, 01:01 PM

HOLY CRAP! I took apart my opti and a half broken bolt fell out! It was the bolt that held on the bearing retaining plate, even though no one probably knows what I am talking about. Ill take pics later. The wheel where it actually gets its timing actually melted that pickup sensor slightly.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:40 PM

hey guys i think myopti is going out too, 95,000miles on stock opti. i get very slight hesitation that no one can feel but the driver, so it is very slight below 2000RPM's. If i change out my opti willi gain performance and gas mileage? Or should i just wait till it's on its last leg?
Old 04-18-2003, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by bachehbad
hey guys i think myopti is going out too, 95,000miles on stock opti. i get very slight hesitation that no one can feel but the driver, so it is very slight below 2000RPM's. If i change out my opti willi gain performance and gas mileage? Or should i just wait till it's on its last leg?
good question, mine is missing slightly when I warm up my tires at the track. I'm hoping it's just wires and plugs, doing that first. But it still runs very strong high 13's w/Moroso CAI & Borla + all the simple BS mods.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:51 PM

Hmm, I dont think either of you have a bad opti, probably just wires. First check your coil to opti wire, thats probably your culprit.
Old 04-18-2003, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
Hmm, I dont think either of you have a bad opti, probably just wires. First check your coil to opti wire, thats probably your culprit.
thanks Rod, 1st positive note I've heard all week , hope you're right. Oh yeah....where is the coil located on the LT1? Could I just replace that one wire with a universal Accel kit...just so I can race tonight? I'm doing a set of Taylor wires when they arrive. Or is it too much trouble for the Coil wire? Thanks.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by Brettinator
thanks Rod, 1st positive note I've heard all week , hope you're right. Oh yeah....where is the coil located on the LT1? Could I just replace that one wire with a universal Accel kit...just so I can race tonight? I'm doing a set of Taylor wires when they arrive. Or is it too much trouble for the Coil wire? Thanks.
The coil is located on the front of the driver side head. There is some coil change info on my Tech Page.
Old 04-18-2003, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by shoebox
The coil is located on the front of the driver side head. There is some coil change info on my Tech Page.
as usual Shoe you rawk man
Old 04-18-2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Rodrigues
An opti is currently $195 from Jason Cromar in FL the billet version from dynatech (is that right?) is like $600
Yes, I put one of those on mine when I swapped cams. It is a much nicer quality designed and built unit, but I don't know if it is worth $600. Do a search as there has been considerable discussion on this. Heres the link:

It sounds like your Opti was definitely shot and perhaps because of the dowel pin pressing on the bearings.DynaSpark
Old 04-18-2003, 03:15 PM

I just finished my 306 cam, headers and ele. w/p last week. Car started right up ran perfect for 55 miles. Went to start it next day and no fire. Replaced coil, still nothing, borrowed ICM and still nothing. I used Shoe's opti test page and everything was within spec as far as volt signals go. Pulled the opti and took the cap off and the metal piece on the rotor button had broke off. That explains the correct voltage readings, but they where just getting to the coil at the wrong time. I got my opti next day air from Jason for 247 shipped
U wont find a cheaper place to get GM parts anywhere, he's the man. It would have been 203 shipped if I got it shipped with normal shipping.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:20 PM

Originally posted by kirschman
I just finished my 306 cam, headers and ele. w/p last week. Car started right up ran perfect for 55 miles. Went to start it next day and no fire. Replaced coil, still nothing, borrowed ICM and still nothing. I used Shoe's opti test page and everything was within spec as far as volt signals go. Pulled the opti and took the cap off and the metal piece on the rotor button had broke off. That explains the correct voltage readings, but they where just getting to the coil at the wrong time. I got my opti next day air from Jason for 247 shipped
U wont find a cheaper place to get GM parts anywhere, he's the man. It would have been 203 shipped if I got it shipped with normal shipping.
I'm not sure I need it yet but would like his info (Jason)
phone number company name all that jazz.
Old 04-18-2003, 03:32 PM

Rod, I know exactly what you are talking about. The 3 opti's I took off all had the same thing happen to them. Broken retainer bolt, trigger wheel melted into sensor etc... Cut the pin to the correct legnth, and you should feel a world of diffrence once it is right. It should cure all your problems. You'll prolly have to change plugs also, I'm sure they are gas fouled by now.
ANY OF YOU WHO MAY NEED AN OPTI, i HAVE A BRAND NEW ONE FOR SALE. $175 shipped.

Quick Reply: I got my old opti out! Im almost positive this was my problem!