LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I love the opti when changing the T-stat.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 07:46 PM

Re: I love the opti when changing the T-stat.

SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC SHOP VAC

You will not drop any coolant than just suck it up as it comes out.

I can change my opti in probably 30 minutes no joke, custom radiator setup and accessory setup but I am not the norm, just keep the coolant off that opti, use ht shop vac it works.

Also if you car is having trouble take a look at the wiring connector for the opti make sure it is not corroded and keep it lubed with electrical grease. It will corrode within the part that inserts into the opti and cause a no start condition as well.

Best of luck to ya.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:25 PM

i prob have world record for opti change because i did a complete opti change in below 0 blizzard 5 hours away from home in 40 minutes oh and working out of a pt cruiser with minimum tools
Old 11-03-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by jsetzer
Get a new one from Jason in Florida. It is cheaper than the budy price at the parts store. (Done that too)

Check all your little stuff. People jump too quickly to say the opti is bad, I have never had one that was so bad that the car would not start except for one where I bent the pins in that deep connector.
I paid $270 last week which included shipping from FL. I have not heard a good word about the O/Autozone units, so that is your call. However, I would take some time to look at the unit you take off and see if water really was your problem. While you're at the parts store, get the seal kit for the timing cover--Autozone $7.99. I left my water pump seal in place since it's a bitch to install correctly and there were no leaks. But the cam seal was cheap insurance, and the kit includes the 2 water pump gaskets.

Going back to the little stuff....after the opti install, I had trouble with a high idle. Seems one of the pins in the Eng Coolant Temp Sensor Connector had rust on it and was shorting out at times. Put on a new pigtail and all is well.

I would do the hair dryer....can't hurt. Perhaps you bumped other connectors while you were messing with the T-stat? Remove (carefully inspect & blow dry if necessary) and re-seat all your connectors...opti, coil, module, etc.

Good Luck

Last edited by DMG1; 11-03-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:55 AM

Well turned out the guy off ebay didn't email me back so I didn't go pick up the opti. Saturday it cranked right off, I did a big burnout drove it around. Drove it to church on sunday. No issues so maybe the thing finally dried out after a week. Runs and cranks like it always have now. Thanks guys.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:46 AM

I know you obviously dont want to hear this since you kinda ignored everyone else telling you the same thing, but let me enlighten you a bit more, one of these times its bound to sink in; Your opti sensor is going bad from the antifreeze getting in there. How do I know,...you've described everything that happened to me when mine went bad, including the no start, start....run for a bit til hot....then die out, no start again. The SES light, if you would take it somewhere (autozone scans for free) and look at the history, I bet you will find the loss of low resolution code which others have spoke of. As a matter of fact, mine is currently doing this now just hasnt no start YET. Water pump bearing blew out and soaked the opti which is less than a year old. Little misfires here and there at idle, and occassionally throws the SES light for loss of low res. Last time I ignored it until it left me stranded. Let it cool off, came back and it ran fine, until it started to spike RPM's like someone else has mentioned, then cut out and die again. Listen to what experience is telling you man, dont be a blockhead. Stop driving unless you want to get stuck somewhere and have to tow it. Plan on changing the optical portion at the very least, or go with a whole new unit. You will regret it if you just keep driving pertending all is well. The damage has been done, and it will eventually (soon) leave you stranded and saying "I should have listened to what the 10 people were telling me." Not trying to be a d!ck, but save you the headache others have gone through.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:05 AM

Yea thats always possible. It has ran perfect now for like 2 weekends in a row. And right now I really don't drive the car since gas is high,its starting to get cold, and I have a beater. I drive it like 20 miles a month. So I'm pretty much going to let her sit until next spring anway. Thanks for your advice it does make sense. I have took my car to autozone and they used the cheap 30 dollar code reader and it don't work on my car. Why don't that work on 04 firebirds? It works on 94 other cars?
Old 11-14-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by blazzinbird
a little tip i learnd is to drain the coolant out of the drain plug some, i do this on alot of cars where i change the water pump or t-state. never had a problem with coolant, also this last time i didnt need a rag eaither
Read my thoughts exactly just cheap insurance