LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I need some clutch install tips...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 01:11 PM

I need some clutch install tips...

I'm getting ready to replace my clutch and need some pointers before I start.

-Do I need to lift the whole car (and how high) or can I do it by just lifting the front end?

-How heavy is the tranny? Can I get it out by myself without killing myself?

-Is it easier to unbolt the tranny from the bell housing first and then remove the bell housing?

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 02-08-2003, 01:15 PM

Jack the car all the way up front and back..

You need some long extensions and universal/flex sockets and or universal/flex joints to reach some of the bellhousing bolts.

Use a tranny jack if u have one, if not you'll need a 2nd person. Its not a really a 1 person job especially if your not that mechanically inclined.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

It's not that hard. Jack up the car, (front and Back), drain the tranny and then unplug all the connections. Then take the shifter off, and pull all the bolts that go from the tranny to bellhousing.
Undo the two nuts that hold the master cylinder on and grab the clutch fork and pull it outward until it stops. Use a floor jack with a 2X4 or some piece of wood under the tranny and undo the crossmember bolts and the torque arm bolts. Oh, pull the drive shaft too of course. Then slowly work the tranny back away from the engine with one of your hands on top of the tranny to balance it and the other pulling back on the jack. Once the end of the input shaft has cleared everything you can lower it down and drag it out from under the car. If the tranny dosen't easily slide away from the engine then there is probably something still holding it in you forgot.

The whole job is easy if you take your time and pay attention to details. The only hard part is one of the bolts at the top of the tranny on the passenger side, but if you are patient you should be able to take it out without too much trouble.

People say it has to be done with a tranny jack, but a floor jack and a piece of wood works just fine for me. Hard would be doing it without any jack at all.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:13 PM

Thumbs up Trans removal.

Thanks for the info. The owner manual tells you to remove with bell housing attached. I like your way much better. I've also pulled several trans with a floor jack and a couple times bouncin em off my stomach. I suggest the floor jack.