LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

i think the crank bolt broke off...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 01:25 PM

i think the crank bolt broke off...

i started up my car this morning, and the power steering was out...its been leaking something so i was like, well it must have been leaking power steering fluid, then i look at the volt meter and only saw 10 volts, so i assumed the belt had come off or something, i opened the hood, and the belt was still on, but it was loose...when i pushed on the belt to tighten it, the ballancer moved, so i reached my hand down and you can spin the ballancer by hand on the crank...its been off and on about 5 times, came off the old motor, went on the new one, then i decided to bore out and use the old motor instead, so it went on there...and i used the hub to pull the timing gear on the crank, could the hub just be loose from being off and on so much? or is the bolt broken? its raining outside so i didnt want to crawl under the car to look at it...ahh...this sucks...if the bolt broke off in the crank what can i do? what if it hurt the threads??...ahhh
Old 03-31-2004, 01:39 PM

Re: i think the crank bolt broke off...

Originally posted by will62085
i started up my car this morning, and the power steering was out...its been leaking something so i was like, well it must have been leaking power steering fluid, then i look at the volt meter and only saw 10 volts, so i assumed the belt had come off or something, i opened the hood, and the belt was still on, but it was loose...when i pushed on the belt to tighten it, the ballancer moved, so i reached my hand down and you can spin the ballancer by hand on the crank...its been off and on about 5 times, came off the old motor, went on the new one, then i decided to bore out and use the old motor instead, so it went on there...and i used the hub to pull the timing gear on the crank, could the hub just be loose from being off and on so much? or is the bolt broken? its raining outside so i didnt want to crawl under the car to look at it...ahh...this sucks...if the bolt broke off in the crank what can i do? what if it hurt the threads??...ahhh

I would bet that the threads on your crank bolt are gone. Also did you use loc-tite when you reinstalled the bolt?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:04 PM

You're not going to know what happened until you take a look at it.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:09 PM

Re: Re: i think the crank bolt broke off...

Originally posted by IDOXLR8
I would bet that the threads on your crank bolt are gone. Also did you use loc-tite when you reinstalled the bolt?
no i didnt, how stong is are the crank threads? is it possible to strip them? if they are hurt, could i just retap it?
Old 03-31-2004, 02:18 PM

You can tap it if you need too. Normally the threaded area is a softer metal than the crank.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:18 PM

You're going to have to get underneath the car and make sure its the hub thats actually spinning on the crank and not just the outer part of the harmonic balancer. A harmonic balacer will come apart if the rubber ring fails. The hub is such a tight fit that its unlikely to spin on the crank. If the threads are stripped
then that can be repaired by installing a helicoil. I stripped the threads out of mine 2 years ago.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:11 PM

i didnt know if you could put a helicoil in one...its deffinatly the whole hub spinning...well this is gonna be a fun project
Old 03-31-2004, 03:30 PM

Its not as bad as you think. I did mine in the car with the radiator in place.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:43 PM

ohh..can you fit a drill in there??
Old 03-31-2004, 05:31 PM

How the heck is it spinning that easily on the crank? Most people have a very hard time getting them off...I just dont see how it would be that easy to spin if most of them are such a press fit.
Old 03-31-2004, 05:33 PM

Originally posted by smoknta
How the heck is it spinning that easily on the crank? Most people have a very hard time getting them off...I just dont see how it would be that easy to spin if most of them are such a press fit.
i know, my guess is that the bolt has been broken for a while, and the hub has been working its way off the crank for a little bit...but i gotta wait for it to stop raining to i can get under it to look...anyone know where i can get a new crank bolt, and/or hub?
Old 03-31-2004, 06:01 PM

Seems like if it had moved far enough out to get that loose, it would have thrown a belt or shredded it.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:19 PM

thats what i thought...but mabye since its been on and off so many times it has become loose enough to slip without the bolt...who knows...im just gonna look at it tommorow
Old 04-01-2004, 06:25 AM

Re: Re: Re: i think the crank bolt broke off...

Originally posted by will62085
no i didnt, how stong is are the crank threads? is it possible to strip them? if they are hurt, could i just retap it?
I had this happen to me last year and it turned out to be that the crank bolt had some threads missing. I ran a tap through the crank and it was good as new. I do not think you will need another hub unless you damaged it.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:56 AM

If it wallowed around on there long enough, it might have damaged the snout of the crank and even a new hub won't stay tight. Hopefully you won't need a new crank.

Quick Reply: i think the crank bolt broke off...