LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I think my starter is going:(

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2005, 06:44 PM

I think my starter is going:(

This morning it took me 10 minutes to get the Z running. I would turn the key and get 1 click so Id try again and get 1 click. Checked and the battery voltage goes from 11.5 volts down to 10.5 volts when I turn the key... really cant decide if thats normal or not. I sure hope its my battery since its still under warrenty but Im starting to doubt its the culprit. Reason being is that some times Ill get the start to crank on the first try. Like this morning it took me 10 minutes but after 9 hrs of letting it sit at work it fired up w/o any trouble. This problem has been going on for a little over a week now but today was definitely the worst.

Reason I cant really decide if its the battery low in cranking amps or the starter is because this usually only happens after its been sitting for several hours in the bitter cold. I ran the battery down to like 8 volts a few weeks ago and then installed some LT headers a couple days after that so im not sure if the heat is killing my starter or if draining my battery has hurt the amps. What do you guys think?
Old 01-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Re: I think my starter is going:(

Battery, charge it up good clean the terminels,any more problems replace.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:44 PM

I hope youre right. Ill get it checked out tomorrow! Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 09:39 PM

Same thing happened to me after I did headers. The heat I think gets to the starter and messes it up. I have a new battery and once I switched in the LT4 starter which has the solenoid moved to the block side of the start it hasnt happened. Could be the starter, but sounds like the same thing I had to deal with. I thought it was just a fluke, but then it got worse and worse.

-Dustin-
Old 01-08-2005, 11:53 PM

If you are unsure...temporarily swap your battery with a known good one. Or, charge the battery and perform a load test on it. If you don't have access to a load tester, most auto parts stores do and will usually test it for free. Make sure it is charged properly before testing. Yoa also want to check the battery cables, terminals and ends for corrosion and/or loose connections. A voltage drop test will tell you right away if the wiring is giving you problems. Good Luck!
Old 01-09-2005, 12:54 AM

If you could get at the starter, try tapping it a couple of times and then try starting it. If it starts right away, the solenoid on the starter is sticking and would have to be replaced.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:15 AM

I had the same problem. On cold winter mornings I would usually get only one click. Weirdly enough, after beeping the horn (to check the battery) it would start up. So I thought it was probably something with the battery.

One morning on the way to work I stopped to fill 'er up and couldn't get it started again. Started was finally totally gone. It's a good thing it happened at a gas station close to home instead of my making it all the way to work (50 miles from my house) and not being able to start it...
Old 01-09-2005, 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by joecool72
If you could get at the starter, try tapping it a couple of times and then try starting it. If it starts right away, the solenoid on the starter is sticking and would have to be replaced.
I forgot to mention that, I had to hit mine with a maglite several times to start it.

-Dustin-
Old 01-09-2005, 11:31 AM

It was the battery. I tested it today at work and only got 400 amps out of 900 capable amps so its definitely low on power. Thanks guys