LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I Want to convert my dual cat to single cat

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 12:45 PM

I Want to convert my dual cat to single cat

Hey guys, I have a 1996 camaro OBD2 camaro Z28 Lt1 and I have a little problem here that I would like you to help me on. Well, I bought the car used and the guy that had it took off his cats and sold it to me like that. Well, I needed to pass emissions So I went to the muffler shop so I can have them installed. The muffler shop installed 2 new magnaflows right after the y pipe and they sit right next to the tranmission. I paid $400, ad I feel I got ripped off. Anyways, that was like the worst position to put them in so they get all scraped up and stuff like that becuase of clearance issues. Anyways, I though about it and I want a single catalytic converter setup like the 95'. My full pan is getting new shorty headers with a y-pipe and after the y pipe I want the magnflow cat and right after the magnaflow cat I want a cutout and then after that it will be a pipe to the muffler. Anyways, does that mean I have to convert to the OBD1 setup becuase I have more o2 sensors? Or should I just fool my pcm and have 2 o2 sensors right next to each other before the cat and 2 sensors right next to each other after the cat. I want to do this the easiest way possible so please help me out.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:15 PM

ttt
Old 03-02-2003, 07:00 PM

Ummm... Your post is a little confusing so you need to clear a couple of thing up. You say that the guy removed the cats on the car. Did he cut them out of the y-pipe and replace them with pipe? That would leave you with the stock routing. Did he just remove the y-pipe and have something new fabbed?

The muffler shop should have put the new cats in the stock location. On a '96, this would put the driver's side cat right at the exit of the manifold, and under the passenger footwell for the passenger side cat. Neither of these locations should cost any clearance. If your cats are placed to cause clearance problems, your car was not properly repaired.

If you want to move to a single cat, you would do best with a set of '94-'95 headers/y-pipe and a conversion to OBD1. If you want to go with '96 shorties, you will need to get a replacement '96/'97 y-pipe. I'm sure you could find one for cheap in the sale section.

You could use O2 sims if you insist on remaining with the '96 PCM. The only reason people do this is to use the longer headers/y-pipe and keep the OBDII PCM.