LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I want LE2 or AI heads. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:18 AM

I want LE2 or AI heads. Need some advice.

Can I just bolt the heads in with my current hardware or do I need a matched/ported intake as well. My compression ratio should go down a bit with these correct?

I haven't been on this website for a while and I haven't worked on an F-Body in at least a year. I used to be able to picture the thing like the back of my hand but now I'm having trouble remember the little things.

Say I have the heads, head gasket, head bolts, exhaust gaskets, and fluid in hand. What else do I need to complete the install?

I forgot I took my mods out of my sig a long time ago since the list was too long... the gist of it is: vortech s-trim, fuel system, delteq, 227/239 .560/.577 115lsa @ 1.6rr, comp r's, comp 918's.

Last edited by 96 WS6; 09-23-2008 at 04:08 AM. Reason: My mods are not in sig.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:44 AM

AI will do machine work to the head so your intake will bolt on using their 200cc ported stock casting. I had slotted intake holes with my LE intake. It will all depend on what you use for gasket and how much milling was done to the head.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 AM

The head gasket will change the compression the most because you aren't changing the combustion chamber by any considerable about. Dished pistons or aftermarket heads with large combustion chambers will drop the compression more.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:15 AM

Okay. I am starting to think about my options now.

How are trickflows unported? Are they even worth getting?

Also, AFR 195 eliminators are looking awefully tempting. I know that Lloyd and AI do better heads, but realistically how much better are they to warrant the large price difference? They also come with big combustion chambers which is what I want right now so that I don't need a huge dish when I build my motor.

These are the options I am considering:

AI 200cc stock castings
-Will they sell me this without a cam to go with it? I kind of like the cam I have right now it works out very well for my setup.

LE2
-How much are these bad boys?

AFR 195 Eliminator
-Ready to bolt on, good price... why should I not get them? Does my intake need to be ported for these also?

AI TrickFlow
-The bare trickflows are about 1000 bucks. How much extra will AI charge me to do these heads?

Please give me some advice on these options and what the advantages and disadvantages are. I need some heads that I can use on a 383 in the future, that perform well and won't break me. I don't need the best of the best, but I want nice heads. I want a simple install also, I don't have much time on my hands these days. I don't want to shim springs and things like that. Thanks.

Last edited by 96 WS6; 09-23-2008 at 04:18 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by 96 WS6

Also, AFR 195 eliminators are looking awefully tempting. I know that Lloyd and AI do better heads, but realistically how much better are they to warrant the large price difference? They also come with big combustion chambers which is what I want right now so that I don't need a huge dish when I build my motor.

AI 200cc stock castings
-Will they sell me this without a cam to go with it? I kind of like the cam I have right now it works out very well for my setup.

LE2

AFR 195 Eliminator
-Ready to bolt on, good price... why should I not get them? Does my intake need to be ported for these also?

AI TrickFlow
-The bare trickflows are about 1000 bucks. How much extra will AI charge me to do these heads?

Please give me some advice on these options and what the advantages and disadvantages are. I need some heads that I can use on a 383 in the future, that perform well and won't break me. I don't need the best of the best, but I want nice heads. I want a simple install also, I don't have much time on my hands these days. I don't want to shim springs and things like that. Thanks.
You'd have to call AI and ask about the head only. Their site lists head and cam but I am sure they will do heads only. Better yet, email them and call. They have been busy in the past and that seems to offer the best chance of getting ahold of them.
Here is a link for the trickflow head. It comes in 2 sizes 200cc and 215cc. Should be compareable, in PRICE, to what Lloyd would charge although it has been years since and I do not remember exactly. This price includes the purchase of the head, as well.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLTx.html
Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by 96 WS6

AI 200cc stock castings

LE2

AFR 195 Eliminator

AI TrickFlow

How are trickflows unported? Are they even worth getting?-They are a bit better than a stock head, but not much of an advantage aside from the lower compression for you.

AI 200cc stock castings -Will they sell me this without a cam to go with it? I kind of like the cam I have right now it works out very well for my setup.
-You would have to ask them, but I am sure they would sell you just the heads. Or get it with heads and cam and sell the cam off?

LE2
-Look at Elliotportworks.com or something like that. It is listed under the supporting vendor list on this site.

AFR 195 Eliminator

-Personal preference, but I believe the results show a well ported stock head will outrun a factory AFR Elim. The compression drop would be nice for you. Sometimes they have long waits to receive the heads which can also be bad. I would port your intake to match any ported head. It doesn't hurt.

AI TrickFlow
-Probably the best head on the market for our cars that is a direct swap. Their website lists the price including cores and porting. They have more potential than your budget (I assume). The heads have gone nearly into the 8s and some more numbers will be out for them shortly. These heads will allow you to grow into them as they have incredible potential. Talk to Ai and see if they fit your needs well.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin

AI TrickFlow
-Probably the best head on the market for our cars that is a direct swap. Their website lists the price including cores and porting. They have more potential than your budget (I assume). The heads have gone nearly into the 8s and some more numbers will be out for them shortly. These heads will allow you to grow into them as they have incredible potential. Talk to Ai and see if they fit your needs well.
The trick flows will probably be the best ones for his combo. They have larger combustion chambers than the stockers, so he will lose a little compression. They will out perform any of the other heads listed when done up by AI.

Last edited by mpe331lx; 09-23-2008 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:59 PM

LE or AI TFS heads. Hands down. Once ported by either guy/company they will out perform pretty much anything.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 PM

I got the Ai TFS 215's and they are great. Going to a F1A procharger next year and hope to run 8's on the same heads.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:56 PM

9.8 @141 is moving! Nice job Strokedz.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:17 PM

I have the AI trickflow head and cam kit and love it. It made 482rwhp on just 6psi with the stock bottom end. I have since upped the boost to around 8 psi. So I should be in the low 500s. The heads are great and they will lower your c/r some. On the other hand LE stuff is great also I dont think I have ever heard anything bad about either company.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:53 AM

I have been talking back and forth with Lloyd and I've decided on LE TFS's and fully ported intake manifold. I think I should be right around 500 with my setup at 6psi.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:00 AM

Did you talk to AI?
Old 09-29-2008, 12:26 PM

Shon,

I did not talk to AI only because it would cost more money for their TrickFlows. I decided that I need to fork over more money than I wanted to originally to get what I wanted, but Lloyd is making it easier for me to bear. The AI heads are very beautiful pieces of work, but I can't pay more for something that will perform the same. I don't think I've seen evidence that AI is better than Lloyd or vice versa. Do you have any specific reason I should talk with AI?
Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM

I went to LE's sight to compare the components of his LT1 TFS heads to the AI's for a direct comparison on the parts used by each company. I can not fnd this info on LE's site but it is on AI's. This would be very helpful in determining on a COST basis what the differences are.

Then there is the performance factor that does come with a cost, it's up to the consumer to decide what that factor is worth but if you compare the AI product to the LE product, AI has consistanly proven to have an advantage where it counts-this is determined by each consumer as well, Dyno numbers, Track MPH and ET, Driveability, Longevity, etc.

http://www.advancedinduction.com/AiProductsLT1.html

Quick Reply: I want LE2 or AI heads. Need some advice.