LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

If true duals makes more hp why dont more v8 guys run them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 04:04 AM

If true duals makes more hp why dont more v8 guys run them?

I seen several posts about true duals making more hp than y pipe setups. the only things i can come up with why more of you dont run true duals are as follow.
dont like the how loud the car sounds
dont have cam to compliment longtubes and duals
think clearance would be a problem
dont feel like fu**ing with the exhaust
any othes??
Old 07-11-2003, 04:27 AM

You pretty much got it.
True duals is a hardcore gearhead mod on a 3rd or 4th gen Fbody, these cars were not designed for them and major compromises must be made to do it.
Ground clearance is a big issue if you drive your car on the street at all.
Modifications to the undercarriage and/or a custom built exhaust are necessary.
Its alot of work and a real PITA to do true duals right way, hell its alot work to do em the wrong way.
I think if it was an easier bolt in project you would see it alot more, as it is, its just too much work and compromise for most people.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:01 AM

And with them you can't use the frame brace and you can't go with a hi-po torque arm like the Spohn or BMR. I think the Mufflex 4" is more than enough for most cases.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:22 AM

Not a lot of gain for the hassle either.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:57 AM

....And for the most part it isn't cheap to have one fabricated, so it usually proves much cheaper/easier to just buy an off the shelf cat-back which doesn't flow that badly in comparison
Old 07-11-2003, 09:03 AM

Most 4th gen guys just dont want to fab that much, IMO. If you can weld or you have a buddy that weld, you can do a dual system very affordably. I've got less than $800, in my dual setup - which includes the price of the mufflers, dual full size highflow cats, all the piping, jet hot coated hooker LT's with smog provisions (bought used), and dual cutouts. You only run into the big money if you end up paying someone to fab the system for you.

I'm running an aftermarket toruque arm (global west) and the hooker LTs are the lowest hanging part of my exhaust - not really the dual piping. I've heard of guys modifying the midlength headers for duals and having no clearance issues at all...
Old 07-11-2003, 09:49 AM

Alot of people don't like the hassle.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:55 AM

Hows $150 sound?!?! Trust me its a nice set up too...you just have to do your research and find out how to do it the cheapest way and do it right too. I bought all the parts for the shop and he did the job for $150.
Old 07-11-2003, 10:00 AM

$300 u.s. including the mufflers, heat shields, insulation, clamps, and labor.
Old 07-11-2003, 12:27 PM

I seen on this boaard where a guy gained something like 15-20 hp over a y pipe setup. im sure the true dual setup wont make people lose hp and i dont see how it is so expensive.

1. custom longtubes, traded my shi**y 2 year old rk sport ones even up

2. 40.oo to have the drivers longtube straightened out because the guy that made them must have been on crack.

3. 62.00 for bullets

4. 60.00 for x pipe

5. 15.00 for 10 ft of pipeing

177.00 total and that includes 40.00 to have my drivers longtube fixed.

all the welding is done by me, a friend, and my dad= free
all bends by friend who has pipe bender= take to sheetz so he can get cigs and tea
Old 07-11-2003, 01:45 PM
96z

Duals will make more power if its needed on a high HP car. I have duals on mine and I dont think I would gain anything going to say a 4" mufflex.

Like mentioned above, noise, cost, and fabrication usually prevents people from doing this.
Old 07-11-2003, 02:01 PM

What if you don't know anybody with a welder? Or what if you don't know anybody with a bender? It's not that cheap, especially if you want the pipes to exit from the rear. From what I have read, anything over 2.5" duals is hard to get over the axle on both sides. If you do the math with pi r^2 blah blah you find that the gain is minimal over a single 3" pipe. If you have a mufflex 4" that's way more than enough.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:16 PM

You can get 3" duals over the rear axle - Ive seen it done - although alot off dual exhaust guys just dump or side exit before the axle cause it's easier and cheaper. Mandrel bends are available from Summit though - no need for a pipe bender.

Defintely takes more prep, more time, and a welder to go for duals and a full rear exit exhaust - if you want to do it cheaply.

Personally, duals worked out much better for me. Really, that's the way to look at it - What are you goals, what are you doing with the car, and what are your resources, what's your budget. Dont get into a duals vs single shootout - all depends on the application.

The reason I went to duals is because it was much cheaper (for me) than buying a 4" muflex system with a ypipe - especially since I needed cats to help pass emissions testing. At the time, I had bought a set of hooker headers to replace the Edelbrock shorties, and I felt (still do) that the header swap would have been useless if I tried to ypipe back to the same single 3" exhaust that I was using in the past. (I'm spraying a decent size shot so I wanted a very low restriction exhaust )

Last edited by speedmiser; 07-11-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-11-2003, 03:16 PM

I have had an itch to do duals, but my borla looks and sounds to good to give it up
Old 07-11-2003, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by blksunshine
I have had an itch to do duals, but my borla looks and sounds to good to give it up
Do you have room for electric cutouts in the header collectors or the dual section of your muflex ypipe?

If so, that would definently give you the best of both worlds - great tunable sound from the borla, and the ability to run dual 3" on demand...

Quick Reply: If true duals makes more hp why dont more v8 guys run them?