LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

If you install Ram Air, is this unneeded?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:10 AM

If you install Ram Air, is this unneeded?

Hey guys, another newbie here. I just recently purchased a dark green 1993 Firebird Formula with a 350 LT1 and the automatic transmission (I got it for a good price, and after owning both automatic and stick, the transmission wasn't going to be a deal breaker). Anyways, I just picked it up about a month ago and am still absolutely in love with it! The one thing I do love about these cars that I unfortunately do not have, is that bad-*** looking Ram Air hood with the airbox.

Anyways, to my question- I just bought a K&N Cold Air Induction but have since decided that I'd rather spend my money on a Ram Air Hood and the Air-Box. So, the K&N CAI is not needed for that set-up, and should be returned... right? Thanks for your time guys, and if you have any suggestions for mods, please feel free to suggest!

Happy modding!
Old 02-12-2005, 11:38 AM

Re: If you install Ram Air, is this unneeded?

Yep, once you get the hood you can use the ram air box and you won't need the K&N. The understanding is the ram air box has a gasket that seals up this the hood, so you won't want to use it until you get the ram air hood on. Also, I've heard that the CAI actually produces a few more hp that than ram air, at least under 100mph. But I think it would be a little ricey to have a ram air hood and not the ram air box.
Old 02-12-2005, 04:21 PM

I have a Ram Air hood check my sig pics click 1994 Trans Am. I don't have a Airbox but i do have a Free Ram Air with K&N CAI so i guess if you do the free ramair it really isn't ricey because after all you do have a RamAir
Old 02-12-2005, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by TransAm2k4
I have a Ram Air hood check my sig pics click 1994 Trans Am. I don't have a Airbox but i do have a Free Ram Air with K&N CAI so i guess if you do the free ramair it really isn't ricey because after all you do have a RamAir
How exactly do you do 'free' Ram Air? Since I already have the CAI, if I could do free am air and not have to return it and buy the 300 dollar airbox, that'd be cool.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-12-2005, 08:05 PM

your K&N is a better intake than the airbox for the ram air hood. If you want the hood, go for it, but I'd keep your CAI you have now.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
your K&N is a better intake than the airbox for the ram air hood. If you want the hood, go for it, but I'd keep your CAI you have now.
Sorry for the questions, but will having the K&N CAI along with the 'Free Ram Air' mod be any better than just the plain K&N CAI? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2005, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Beyonce Knowles
But I think it would be a little ricey to have a ram air hood and not the ram air box.
I've got a Ram Air hood and no box. Well, technically it's in the garage. My Ram Air whistles.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:57 AM

I'm sorry, but the WS6 intake setup is better than ANY stock or aftermarket CAI out there; especially with the modified baffles (Removing parts of the S-turn baffles in the hood).

How can air having to travel 6" be worse than air having to travel 2-3'? Piping loses alone, not to mention heat-soak issues.

This has been debated over and over and over and over again... with typically the same results.

WS-6 RA>Aftermarket CAI>Stock Intake setup>SS RA

My hood is debaffled to the max, and I don't understand how the K&N CAI which is 3' long is better than mine; where if I remove the airfilter, I can SEE THE THROTTLEBODY BLADES from outside the car through the RA openings with the hood closed.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
I'm sorry, but the WS6 intake setup is better than ANY stock or aftermarket CAI out there; especially with the modified baffles (Removing parts of the S-turn baffles in the hood).

How can air having to travel 6" be worse than air having to travel 2-3'? Piping loses alone, not to mention heat-soak issues.

This has been debated over and over and over and over again... with typically the same results.

WS-6 RA>Aftermarket CAI>Stock Intake setup>SS RA

My hood is debaffled to the max, and I don't understand how the K&N CAI which is 3' long is better than mine; where if I remove the airfilter, I can SEE THE THROTTLEBODY BLADES from outside the car through the RA openings with the hood closed.
I always assumed the WS6 ram air was a similar setup then the SS setup which is why I said what I did. I know when I replaced my SS's Ram Air with a CAI i felt gains.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:45 AM

Nope, the WS6 intake is a straight shot from the hood to the intake, only about 6" from the air filter (Which is about 14" x 10" in size) to the TB blades. The only real restrictions are the rain baffles in the hood, which can be completely removed safely on cars that don't see bad weather, and partially removed on just about every car.

It's honestly one of the best stock intake setups I've seen on any EFI car.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:50 AM

Have you tryed running it on the track with no filter i mean straight through. That sounds as if should be making lot's of HP.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Blue89Bird
I always assumed the WS6 ram air was a similar setup then the SS setup which is why I said what I did. I know when I replaced my SS's Ram Air with a CAI i felt gains.
I don't think you can get much more direct than this:

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...s/AirBox01.jpg
http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun...B/N2ONozzl.jpg
Old 02-13-2005, 04:07 PM

No, I think that's pretty much as direct as it gets. What'd you use to cut/clean up your airbox? Dremel? I think I'm goin to have to do the same on mine.
Old 02-13-2005, 05:52 PM

I used a dremel on mine, removed about 50% of the cross-bars.

Used the Dremel with the flex attachement to remove the baffles in the hood as well; that and a Bodysaw.