LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Ignition or fuel probs

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2003, 10:46 PM

Ignition or fuel probs

Now tell me if this is ignition or fuel problem.. 94 Z28 A4 We had are car curise with an auto show for charity in or city., well i was slowly driving behind all the classics with my cut out open and my car started heating up cause of no brezze.. Well i went to gun it and it spudderd and miss then it would catch and finally go, I done this a few times with same results... So then my car got really hot i mean on the red and the fans didnt come on, so i start going home and my car is past the red on the temp an then i smell antifreeze and im like oh $hit i blew a hose and right behind me was a trail of it...

So i get home and pop the hood and it was all bubbiling out from the check level resavar, so thank god i didnt break a hose, but the point is if the engine is heat soaked would it make it spudder like that?...
Im ordering a manual fan switch cause i really cant trust the comp to turn on the fans...

All opinions are welcomed
Thanks
Old 07-26-2003, 07:28 AM

If the fans did not come on you have a problem there that needs fixing. I would look into why the fans are not coming on first and once you fix that problem then look into the sputtering and such. It may be that the car just got WAY hot.
Check the relays and the motors themselves and find out if both fans are not working or just one.
Manual fan switch works great if you drag race alot but if its just a daily driver its better to let the PCM handle it.
Old 07-26-2003, 01:14 PM

Well the fans work cause a little bit after i turned the car off and let it sit for 5mins i started it again and the fans kicked on right away... So i know they work now, so today i filled the raditaor back and bled out the system and checked the relaysand all worked... I pulled the MAF conector off and the fans came on right away.. So im leanning towards the thermostat, i think thats starting to go.... If i took it out and kept it out would that hurt the engine at all???
Old 07-26-2003, 01:22 PM

id be more concerned with warping your heads than a sputter. what i think you are experiencing is a clogged cooling system or bad thermostat. the reason your fans wouldnt come on is b/c the PCM gets the engine temp from a sensor located in the waterpump.. your guage feeds off the sensor in the drivers side head. so if your coolant isnt circulating properly then the heads will continue to get hotter and hotter w/o the PCM knowing which will blow out head gaskets and warp soft aluminum heads.
Old 07-26-2003, 04:50 PM

So if took the thermostat out completly and have nothing to replace it, would it be safe to drive around in?
Old 07-26-2003, 07:20 PM

I think it would be ok but not for long.
The water is going to flow too fast through the system and not stay in the radiator long enough to cool off so eventually you will overheat again.
Go buy a stat at the auto parts store and install it not a hard thing to do at all. And it will cost you maybe 10 bucks.
Old 07-26-2003, 09:35 PM

Wink

Remember your car has 2 sensors in the water pump one for the pcm amd the other for the temp gauge. Buy a hypertech 160 thermostat and change the fan temp sensor to a 185 and you
should not have any more cooling problems.