LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Im have a couple problems i was wondering if anyone could help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 01:27 AM

Im have a couple problems i was wondering if anyone could help

I have a 1996 camaro z28 M6 and when im at 1.5rpm in any gear and i stomp on the gas a little like a little more then half down, i dont wanna say it spudders but its seems like it doesnt wanna go and it like bucks a little untill i reach 2.75rpm and past that its fine - i was thinking it was either my spark or my fuel filter but i was wondering what you guys think?

Second problem is i have extremely low oil pressure at idle when its warm it sits a hair above the red and when i stomp on it, it gets a hair higher then 1/4 and i bought it this way and i have changed the oil twice since i got it at 3000-4000miles and i just changed it 700 miles ago

thrid/fouth problem is when im idleing i have this chrip my engine makes, its a consistant chirp and when i rev it or accel it chrips faster seems like something isnt gettin lubercated correctly back to the oil in problem 2...the fourth is when im idling i get this wierd rumble that i can feel in my seat and kinda seems like medal is rubbing together

if anyone can help me i would like it thanks (i did just get my PCm tuned by madz28 2weeks ago could that be anything?)

im thinkin 1 and 4 are the same problem cuz they happened in the same day or two and maybe the third problem caused this im not really sure please help
-jon

Last edited by narlydude; 03-27-2005 at 02:42 AM.
Old 03-27-2005, 01:33 AM

Re: Im have a couple problems i was wondering if anyone could help

In regards to problem number one. Check the egr valve. Make sure the hoses to it are in good condition. Also make sure the valve is not clogged.

And about your chrip. You sure its coming from the inside of the engine? Maybe is your belt making the noise.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by 96lt1Camaro
In regards to problem number one. Check the egr valve. Make sure the hoses to it are in good condition. Also make sure the valve is not clogged.

And about your chrip. You sure its coming from the inside of the engine? Maybe is your belt making the noise.
IM pretty sure that chirp isnt my belts because my belts make a different kind of sound more of a whinning and if i put my head in the engine the chirps seems to be comming form the engine kinda sounds like somehting isnt lubercated correctly or there isnt enough oil or something in there im not really sure.
Old 04-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Hi narlydude

I also have a problem with extremely low oil pressure at idle when its warm it sits a hair above the red and when i add gas, it gets a hair higher then 1/4. I ran it by Budget Brake and Muffler. They were too busy to look at it today but they said it could be my guage or the oil sender/sensor unit. Im not too sure, I just got the oil changed last week. I dont want to drive it this way.
HELP!

Im wondering if it is the sensor on the oil pan?
Old 04-22-2006, 06:29 PM

That might be a bad thing. Low oil pressure and noise from the motor..... could be something as small as a bad pulley and bad sending unit or as bad as a bad main bearing.
Old 04-22-2006, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Oxygen454
Hi narlydude

I also have a problem with extremely low oil pressure at idle when its warm it sits a hair above the red and when i add gas, it gets a hair higher then 1/4. I ran it by Budget Brake and Muffler. They were too busy to look at it today but they said it could be my guage or the oil sender/sensor unit. Im not too sure, I just got the oil changed last week. I dont want to drive it this way.
HELP!

Im wondering if it is the sensor on the oil pan?
The sensor in the oil pan is the low oil level sensor. The 1996 oil pressure sensor is located right next to the EGR valve on the back of the block. Shoebox has a good photo on his site:

http://shbox.com/1/oil_pressure_sensor.jpg
Old 04-28-2006, 07:19 PM

Thanks that helped! I could have changed it but I let a shop do it. It sucks trying to get in behind that 350 block. $115 later, not a bad fix.

Thanks again!
Old 04-29-2006, 09:56 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by narlydude
I have a 1996 camaro z28 M6 and when im at 1.5rpm in any gear and i stomp on the gas a little like a little more then half down, i dont wanna say it spudders but its seems like it doesnt wanna go and it like bucks a little untill i reach 2.75rpm and past that its fine - i was thinking it was either my spark or my fuel filter but i was wondering what you guys think?
Add a faulty TPS sensor, a leak in the rubber inlet bellows between the MAF and the throttle body, and the OptiSpark distributor to your list of possible causes.

Second problem is i have extremely low oil pressure at idle when its warm it sits a hair above the red and when i stomp on it, it gets a hair higher then 1/4 and i bought it this way and i have changed the oil twice since i got it at 3000-4000miles and i just changed it 700 miles ago
Low oil pressure it idle is not a problem.... GM accepts 6psi on the LT1. Its a problem if you don't have adequate pressure under load and at higher RPM. Whats the oil pressure at 2,000RPM? .....at 5,000RPM? A general guideline is to have 10psi for each 1,000RPM.

Check the actual pressure with a mechanical gauge.
thrid/fouth problem is when im idleing i have this chrip my engine makes, its a consistant chirp and when i rev it or accel it chrips faster seems like something isnt gettin lubercated correctly back to the oil in problem 2
Common problem is the idler pulley for the serpentine belt.

...the fourth is when im idling i get this wierd rumble that i can feel in my seat and kinda seems like medal is rubbing together
Is it possible its in the clutch, throwout bearing, etc?

I'd agree that the low oil pressure and audible problems could be inidicative of a major problem, or simply a bunch of conicidences from less severe issues.

Last edited by Injuneer; 04-29-2006 at 09:59 AM.