LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

I'm tired of this ****!~!!@$#%

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Re: I'm tired of this ****!~!!@$#%

What kind of shape is the battery in? Are the connections at the battery and the starter tight?

What about the opposite end of the negative cable that goes to the battery, is it tight and making a solid connection?
Old 08-02-2004, 04:46 PM

F-bodys break... it just happens.
I havnt owned my car but 10 months.
I have since trashed... A transmission, a rear end, and now the engine itself. Along the way ive also had to replace the driveshaft, torque arm mount, several trans mounts, the intake gasket, the oil pan gasket, the pushrods a few times, the coil, the fuel pump, countless little things and other things that still need fixin but i just dont let em bug me at the moment.... I probably have a lemon but oo well its still fun and goes like hell when she works
Keep at it.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Ok I've finished searching for the 3rd time...

This post best describes everything that I'm experiencing...

Seems pretty common too... but there is no solution on the thread...

Shoebox was very helpful... but there's no conclussion...???

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258354

THere's a Good connection on the battery...

Last time she ran was earlier... I stepped on the clutch and the car started weak(delay)...for a second then turned on... I turned the car off and waited a few to see if the old problem had returned... and sure enough it did...

I've also noticed that I do not hear my Starter engaging when I turn the Key... I can how ever hear the starter when I pull out the (PCM ignition) fuse and push it back in so it's alive... but not getting a connection when the clutch is engaged. I read the post hot linked above and pulled out my relay. There is corrosion on the Purple (Starter) Peg. I'm about to borrow a voltometer... to get to the bottom of this... I hope someone else in the same boat finds this post... so the Mysterious Non Cranking LT-1 problem can be solved once and for all.

Sorry my post was so angry... I was pissed because I missed my Job interview because of this crap.

Last edited by Heatmaker; 08-02-2004 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:16 PM

If it isn't cranking, there aren't too many things in the starting system. Can you hear the solenoid on the starter motor? With a DVOM, are you getting power to the starter? Sounds like you are on the right track. Keep testing and don't throw unnecessary parts at it. If you need a diagram, I can scan a copy from the Service Manual.

Last edited by Wild1; 08-02-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:29 PM

"Starter safety switch, on Camaro models equipped with manual transmissions, requires drivers to depress the clutch pedal to activate the ignition" Quote from shop manual.

http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic96.jpg
http://shbox.com/1/ignswschematic.jpg

looking in the lower right of this picture. I could not find a picture of the switch itself.

hope this help the switch gave my brother hell on a 96 v6 Cam. When someone mentioned pumping the clutch......
Old 08-02-2004, 05:30 PM

Did you ever bypass the clutch switch to test?

CoUnTryMuZiCZ28, you need to do the same or buy a new one.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

HAHAH!!!

Okay we're getting closer... I pulled the Relay out the cover and turned the ignition ... it was not activating... so I pressed the switch on the realy manually.... my self and the car then Sputtered.... Spree wree wree ... Then Puft roaaar... the car turned on.... So were getting somewhere... but unfortunately only lasted a few seconds then turned off... So what are we to think of this?
Old 08-02-2004, 08:23 PM

This might have already been mentioned but what about the clutch relay. It's a black little connection that connects to a wire under the steering wheel. You would have to unscrew cover off to get to it. It cost me 5 dollars. Just a thought
Old 08-02-2004, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
Did you ever bypass the clutch switch to test?

CoUnTryMuZiCZ28, you need to do the same or buy a new one.
Ill just buy a new one.. Part number?? What exactly do I buy? Shoebox you rule!
Old 08-02-2004, 08:51 PM

I dont know if this is of any help to you or not but my friend just recently installed a new clutch in his 95m6 and when he went to start it he got nothing, car wouldnt turn over. It turned out to be a bad slave cylinder, i am not sure where its at but i know thats what it was called. He replaced it and vroooom the car started right up.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Wow!

THanks for all the replies...

This is what happend so far.... I tested everything with a Voltmeter and didn't get a signal. I tested the meter on other electrical items in my car everything worked fine. I thought maybe I just had a bad ground... so I kept trying various locations in the car... no reading still... so I ended up just sanding away some paint on the chassy (doing bodywork anyhow)... and even after doing that still no reading. I did as Gtsome17 suggested with the clutch down key in Start position... and still no reading. I brougth a new relay and the problem was still the same... So I connected a Wire from the Purple wire to the Yellow on the relay... and Started my car that way. If fired up like she was brand new. No struggling from the ignition switch... or Starter... So it's neither of those... I'm not sure what role my Clutch Safety switch played but I changed that out earlier.. So just what on earth might you think it be?

If I just make that Wire I hot linked a perminant wire can I screw anything up?

I'm puzzled if Security "VATS" system is doing this... but I don't get a theft light at all...Matter of fact it never even illuminates... But for some reason I'm not getting a reading either... but she's obviously getting power to the right places if I can start the car up like that with no Stutter at all...

"Did you bypass the Clutch starter switch?"

Yes I did this first with no luck still....

"clutch relay. It's a black little connection that connects to a wire under the steering wheel. You would have to unscrew cover off to get to it."

Clutch relay you say... ??? anyone have pics of this?

Thanks again... To all a Merry Christmas and Goodnight...

Last edited by Heatmaker; 08-02-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:54 PM

Country Music- Our starters get cooked where they are located. Sometimes they get hot spots on the armature which prevents electrical conductivity. By pumping the clutch, you are able to "bump" the starter which rotates the armature to a clean spot where it then cranks and starts.

Heatmaker - if your relay is working when you bypass the reference voltage, then something is wrong with the sending signal. Are you getting a sending signal from the ignition switch?
Old 08-02-2004, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

The ignition switch is brand new... and even though I didn't replace the pigtails... I pulled out each wire and crimped them to fit snugly on the Ign switch's connectors.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:08 PM

Heatmaker I would highly recommend going to the dealer ship and ask about a clutch relay switch...basically when you press down the clutch, the clutch relay pushes in to start the engine. I believe this is the beginning when the engine is started. I wish I had a webcam to show you because I have the old part with me right now. It only cost about 5 dollars and this could be your problem as I thought it was the starter, ignintion switch etc. for my car which I spend over $200 for nothing and ended up fixing it with help from a chevrolet technican( he did it for free! cool guy) that came over to my house with his test boxing to test the wires under the steering wheel and he figured out the problem. I hope this helps
Old 08-02-2004, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

96Z28TealM6 Do you mean the Clutch STart saftey switch? The black switch that is behing the clutch pedal?

Quick Reply: I'm tired of this ****!~!!@$#%