LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

inable to burn out

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2003, 01:48 AM

Thumbs down inable to burn out

ok i got myself in a little spot where my friend and i always go when we are depressed and we like to spin out, well he always goes and im in the car w/ him but i went for the first time the other day... wanted to spin the tires a little

and so i held the break pretty good got it to about 1500 rpms maybe 17 or so and i let go of the break, and it just went like normal no pealing of the tires nothing... the engine was really backfireing pretty good while i was holding the break

do u think this has to do with opti?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:04 AM

what you need to do is put it in neutral, pop it up to about 6k, then dump it into drive
JUST KIDDING

could be many things - does the car seem to cut out during high rpm's?
because you should be able to burn the s**t out of the tires!
Old 10-31-2003, 02:14 AM

With 90k on the clock, if you haven't had a tuneup yet I guarantee that's it. It could be the opti but I'd go for a full tuneup first to save the money. You need a tuneup anyway so if it is the opti you'll have everything replaced.

PS.
My buddy has a 95' TA and his couldn't even spin the tires. Although it was stock it should have been able to atleast turn em a little. We gave his car a full tuneup. Plugs,wires,coil,fuel filter,oil/filter change(just cause it was due). After that his car was a monster compared to what it used to be. Felt like a whole different vehicle.
Old 10-31-2003, 02:15 AM

no... dont think its cutting out at high rpms... whats that mean?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:18 AM

well i can burn the tires to the rims if the engines cold... but why wont it do it after it warms up?

what does a full tune up include?

i did a number of things already

air filter, fuel filter, break pads, umm thermo,i did sparks acdelco there were some bosch supers in there

i donno what else... i gotta do the oil again in a few days
Old 10-31-2003, 02:35 AM

damm i feel sorry for your car if it cant burnem . . you got a v-6 or something lol
Old 10-31-2003, 02:37 AM

ok time to be serious go with a tune up . . change the wires and plugs and go with a new coil . . thats probally the problem and if that doesnt work go with a new opti
Old 10-31-2003, 02:39 AM

To do a full tuneup you need to change the fuel filter(just a stock replacement), coil(like an msd blaster or something),plug wires(anything that is high quality like msd, taylor, accel, etc.), plugs(NGK's are great, or just AC Delco is fine) and that's it. If you want to flush the radiator and change the oil it's a good thing to do at the same time. How long ago did you replace the plugs? Also did the car run better before you changed the plugs? If so they might be gapped wrong. On a side not for future reference. You should always change plug wires when you change plugs, and vice versa. Unless special cercumstances arise like a burned wire or you are running cold plus with nitrous or something and need to change em every 15,000 miles. Good luck
Old 10-31-2003, 02:42 AM

how much does the coil cost and where is that, i dont think ive seen it before

and i replaced the plugs maybe 500 miles ago, and after i did that yea it started hissing and maybe missing in once cylinder i'll take that one back out again and check it over when i do my wires
i already flushed the radiator, should i try new O2's?

but its running about the same as after i put in those plugs

and what about egr?
Old 10-31-2003, 02:52 AM

I'd replace all your plugs again or alteast take them all out and make sure they're gapped properly, they don't always come as advertised in the package. You can try new O2 sensors if you want, but I believe they thow a code and make your SES light turn on if they aren't functioning properly. Someone else can help on that. You can eliminate your EGR if you want. It is really of no use. Plus if you remove it and all that is connected to it you will have a much much cleaner engine bay. Do a search their are writeup's all over about EGR removal. Here's a link to a site that has coils. Several other places have them for vairous prices, so shop around to find a deal. Just look for the MSD ignition stuff. Find the one that say's "A bolt-in power boost". Don't let that fool ya, you'll get no hp increase, but the car will run better. The price is like $40 bucks.

Clicky
Old 10-31-2003, 03:46 PM

thats supriseing my car has 90k on the clock with no tune up and runs slow but it will still burn em. I replaced my O2's a week ago and it make a phenomenal difference something was wrong that made the car kick @ss in the morning when it was running in open loop and stumble arround when it warmed up.
Old 10-31-2003, 03:50 PM

My car can spin the tires, but not for long....if I just floor it from a stop, it will peel for about 30-40 feet and get pretty sideways but it wont stay in place smoking them.....I have 2.73s. That's normal, right?
Old 10-31-2003, 04:44 PM

what u did will cause ur car to peel out, not burnout...

for a burnout, u brake as hard as you can, and SMASH the throttle... :P
Old 10-31-2003, 05:27 PM

Are you 100% sure that you DON'T have traction control?

If you look between the shifter and the cup holder on the center console, there might be a button that says traction control.

If it's not there, then look over the driver's side valve cover and see if there's a large black box type thing there.

If that's there, you have traction control and need to find a way to turn it off in order to spin the tires.

If you don't have traction control, you should be able to hold the brakes, and press the throttle until the tires break loose. My car with 2.73s would break torque the tires loose, but it wouldn't do it at just 1500 RPM.
Old 10-31-2003, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Cmr0z28
My car can spin the tires, but not for long....if I just floor it from a stop, it will peel for about 30-40 feet and get pretty sideways but it wont stay in place smoking them.....I have 2.73s. That's normal, right?
I have 2.73's and If i just hit it from a dead stop they'll just spin, spin, and spin and spin some more. No traction what so ever on these stock tires

Quick Reply: inable to burn out