LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Injector install tips and help getting them into intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:52 PM

Injector install tips and help getting them into intake?

I installed some 30 svo in my 96 z today. I have a few tips to share and need some advice.

For tips I didn't bother disconnecting the fuel lines. I found I could move the rail enough to install all the new injectors no problem.I did of course loosen the wiring harness and disconnect the fuel reg vac line and thats about it.
Install went well and I reused clips on all but one.managed to lose one clip. My injectors were dremeled out by last owner. I have heard the clips are not needed anyway and can replace it if necessary.

Now the problem. I can get the front injectors in and the passenger side rear. On the drivers side the back two don't seem to want to go into the intake as deep. Not sure as can't really see the back rear one as its got the clip but the front rear one doesn't have the clip and it appears to be higher in the intake.
I started the car and it didn't seem to be leaking any gas and seemed to be running fine but a bit worried as want the rear drivers side to be in intake as far as the other injectors seem to be. But how can you get any pressure on the back drivers rear .I tried rubber hammer but cowl is in the way and tried pushing down with hands and that don't seem to work. I tried to bolt it down and bolt doesn't seem to be going in that great ,hope didn't strip the hole out.
As said the passenger side rear injectors are in there same as front just problem with drivers side. I did put a bit of oil on the bottom o rings.

So is there some tips and tricks to get them to go into that back rail. I get pretty annoyed because most of this engine is under the cowl. Is it absolutely essential that they are as deep as the other ones if they don't seem to leak??

Appreciate some help asap on this .
Old 05-25-2005, 05:38 PM

Re: Injector install tips and help getting them into intake?

Originally Posted by 80TA
I installed some 30 svo in my 96 z today. I have a few tips to share and need some advice.

For tips I didn't bother disconnecting the fuel lines. I found I could move the rail enough to install all the new injectors no problem.I did of course loosen the wiring harness and disconnect the fuel reg vac line and thats about it.
Install went well and I reused clips on all but one.managed to lose one clip. My injectors were dremeled out by last owner. I have heard the clips are not needed anyway and can replace it if necessary.

Now the problem. I can get the front injectors in and the passenger side rear. On the drivers side the back two don't seem to want to go into the intake as deep. Not sure as can't really see the back rear one as its got the clip but the front rear one doesn't have the clip and it appears to be higher in the intake.
I started the car and it didn't seem to be leaking any gas and seemed to be running fine but a bit worried as want the rear drivers side to be in intake as far as the other injectors seem to be. But how can you get any pressure on the back drivers rear .I tried rubber hammer but cowl is in the way and tried pushing down with hands and that don't seem to work. I tried to bolt it down and bolt doesn't seem to be going in that great ,hope didn't strip the hole out.
As said the passenger side rear injectors are in there same as front just problem with drivers side. I did put a bit of oil on the bottom o rings.

So is there some tips and tricks to get them to go into that back rail. I get pretty annoyed because most of this engine is under the cowl. Is it absolutely essential that they are as deep as the other ones if they don't seem to leak??

Appreciate some help asap on this .
I coat the bottom fuel injector o-rings with di-electric silicone grease, works great, they almost fall in like that
Old 05-25-2005, 05:43 PM

My injector instructions said to coat the o-rings with motor oil. Also you should use compressed air to clean off the intake manifold around the injectors prior to starting the job to keep dirt from falling into the holes.
Old 05-25-2005, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by OBE1 95Z28
My injector instructions said to coat the o-rings with motor oil. Also you should use compressed air to clean off the intake manifold around the injectors prior to starting the job to keep dirt from falling into the holes.
motor oil works, but if you ever get new injectors from the dealer, the o-rings have silicone grease on them already, and the grease works MUCH better than motor oil
Old 09-01-2005, 09:58 AM
nfa

How deep should stock injectors go into the manifold? i used dielectric grease and right now, all of the injectors are showing a bit of the white part of the injector (i cant see the o-ring tho). i should have taken a picture of them first to compare.

Originally Posted by Dave89IROC
motor oil works, but if you ever get new injectors from the dealer, the o-rings have silicone grease on them already, and the grease works MUCH better than motor oil
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM

as long as the orings are in, and the rail is seated, all should be well
Old 09-01-2005, 10:23 AM
nfa

Cool! I spent all of last night doing the intake manifold leak fix and i wasnt looking forward to having to do more work on it

as long as the orings are in, and the rail is seated, all should be well
Old 09-01-2005, 11:26 AM

Windex works well too
Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM

We recommend clean motor oil on the o-rings since it lubes and also softens them to help provide a good seal.
The only problem with silicone grease is that if someone puts too much on the inlet end it can get into the internal filter basket and clog it.
It is sometimes helpful the rotate the injector during intallation if it doesn't want to slide in easily.

Both my sites have instructions and photos of a LT1 injector removal.

Gordon
WitchHunter Performance
InjectorServices
Fuel injector Cleaning & Flow Testing service
Old 09-02-2005, 03:28 PM

I coat the bottom fuel injector o-rings with di-electric silicone grease, works great, they almost fall in like that
Ditto, when the o rings are dry they can be almost impossible to get in. Then just a little shot of lube and they will pretty much fall into place.