LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Installation Hardware for 5pt harness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 03:15 PM

Installation Hardware for 5pt harness?

What do I need to install two 5 point RCI harnesses into my 96Z T-top car? I will be having a rollbar welded in soon so that takes care of the mounting point for the shoulder straps. I see Wolfe makes a bar that bolts across your front two bolts on the base of your seat so you have an attachement point for the croch harness. What do you need to install the two harness that go over each hip? I plan on pulling out the factory seat belts and haven't really looked yet to see if they could bolt into the same holes.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:15 PM

I would also like to retain my factory graphite leather seats and run the shoulder harnesses through them. Anybody have a recommendation on who could cut my seats and place the plastic insert in them?
Old 10-20-2003, 01:25 PM

ttt
Old 10-20-2003, 01:33 PM
Administrator

As noted, the shoulder straps must be mounted to the roll bar cross-bar, no more than 4" below shoulder height. The crotch strap can be mounted to the add-on cross bar at the front of the seat, or a hole drilled in the floor. With a stock seat, you can mount it at the front of the seat. With an aftermarket seat with the hole for the crotch strap, you have to mount the bolt "behind the chest line".

As far as the lap belts, I use the stock bolts. The Simpson belt hardware holes are too small to fit up on the "shoulder" of the stock bolts, so you need to grind the diameter slightly. I tried to find a bolt with a thread to match the stock mounting points in the floor, but could not find any.

My Formula seats, with separate headrest allowed the shoulder straps to fit over the top of the seat. A buddy of mine with stock white leather seats in his 30th SS convertible had an upholstery shop cut the holes in the seatback for the shoulder straps to pass through, and sew up new white leather edging for the holes. Looked absolutely awesomes.... 9-second 30th SS with stock leather seats.... .
Old 10-20-2003, 02:08 PM

Thanks a lot! That solves a few more problems for me.
Old 10-20-2003, 03:23 PM

Another other option for the hip belts is to replace your stock bolts with eye bolts (it's a standard thread size, just get the eye bolts from whoever sold you the harnesses), and then use the clip-on harnesses for the hips. You can also leave the stock belt under the eye bolt if you want it in there.

I've also got a pair of the Wolfe sub brackets I'd sell - drop me a note at dmills@go-fast.org if you're interested...

Dave

Last edited by LPEdave; 10-20-2003 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-21-2003, 10:09 AM

Eugene,
I had my stock shoulder bolts turned down slightly to fit the harness hardware.
Its a tight fit but the stock belts are still there as well. Mike