LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Installed Dynomax turbo muffler on SLP LM today

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:30 PM

Installed Dynomax turbo muffler on SLP LM today

For those interested - this is purely for reference. I grew tired of the Loudmouth, no cat, and Longtubes pretty quickly. Pulled over 3 times now - no citations but stern warnings. The car was just unbearably loud for me at my age.

So, I went out to Summit and bought a Dynomax Turbo muffler 2 tailpipes and then went to Autozone and picked up some clamps, a hanger, and 2 turndowns. Installed about an hour ago in the stock muffler location.

Car sounds stock - extremely quiet. Thinking maybe I should have went with a flowtech or flowmaster, hooker, something with a little more bite but it will probably grow on me. At least I can play with the car a little more and my wife won't get a headache driving/riding in it again. Went from too loud to maybe too quiet.

But, ultimately i'm dodging a $210 noise ordinance ticket so I guess i'm pretty happy.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM

Re: Installed Dynomax turbo muffler on SLP LM today

Might want to look into the Dynomax Ultraflow. It's a straight-through muffler, but isn't that loud. Should be more throaty than the regular super turbo. I have a 2OTL one on my car. I like it.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:05 PM

Re: Installed Dynomax turbo muffler on SLP LM today

Thanks Derrick - I thought about it because my cousin runs those Ultra Flo's on his Caprice. They're stainless, nice units, and would have went well with my LM as it is stainless too but, i'm going to move to a completely new setup over this coming winter. I need a new Y pipe and cat back, been thinking about the Hooker muffler (JetHot coated) and a stainless y pipe and I pipe. I'll have to check into the cost of the stainless units though.

Hooker, IMO, is one of the best sounding cat backs i've heard on our cars. Haven't had a chance to hear a lot of them but that one stands out in comparisons to the others that i've heard. Not sure how they stack up in the performance/flow area but they sound pretty good.

I was willing to give up flow to quiet the car down. I'll be hitting the track on Sunday so we'll see how much, if any, the car slows down by adding this muffler.