LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Installed New Opti(94Z)..wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 05:34 PM

Question Installed New Opti(94Z)..wont start!!!

Hola, I just installed my new Opti (sorta new..got it from a guy on here..not sure if its in working order now.. )
...Anyways, got the Opti back in, was gonna try starting it but the battery was dead. So to save time, I (regretfully) assumed it would work and put the WaterPump and Balancer and all that junk back in. Got everything plugged in and checked over...car turns over and tries to start..but it seems as if theres no spark to the cylinders.
What could be wrong???
At first, when it wouldnt start I noticed the Opti plug wasnt plugged in..so I plugged that in thinking that was my problem. Now, it still has the same problem..not actually starting. Could it be the Opti?how would I know? Could it be the Coil?? I know mines not brand new, but it was working fine before I installed the new Opti two months ago..would sitting for two months cause the Coil to go bad?
Sorry its so long, any help would be appreciated, as always, thanks in advance!!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:40 PM

anyone??

I take it no one on this site has had problems with a car not starting after an Opti spark install? ...Someone's gotta know... I need my car fixed by tomorrow afternoon, Im moving and I dont think you can 'tow' a Camaro due to its low front end...am I not right in thinking this? ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks!!!
Old 05-31-2004, 11:52 PM

I would take a plug wire off the spark plug, pull it out to where you can see it, then put a spark plug in it. Hold from the wire. Have someone turn the car over and see if it is getting spark.

It really sounds like you missed something. I had a problem like this once, and it turned out to be the coil wire to the opti had corroded at the connector. It died on me on a rainy day. All I had to do was clean out the end, and I replaced it when I got home.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:54 PM

Do a search on the board for opti stuff. Lots of info. also do a search on my name for opti stuff.

check the optispark electrical harness for corrosion. Check and make sure the harness is plugged into another connecter thats mounted on the passenger side of the intake manifold (bunch of other vacum and electrical lines around it) Make sure you put your grounds back on the coil, there are 3. If u have a Ohm meter u can check the resistance across each circuit in the opti.

If you have a 95 and lower u have 4 contact points that go to the bottom 1 contact point(opti plug wire) COnnect one lead to the top of each of the 4 contact points with the other lead on the Signal lower contact point. U should read about 8ohms on each. Any higher and thats not good and could be ur problem. FOr a 96 or 97 you'll read 4 or 5 I forget and u have 3 contact points.

If u want to check for spark u can have someone crank your car while u have 1 plug wire lye against the side of your header or something metal and watch for spark.. Just cuz u see spark doesnt mean its ok, could be erratic or too weak.

but most likely u probably got a bad opti. Coils dont go bad sitting. Make sure u hooked everything back up properly. Make sure the opti is sitting flush against the screw mounts etc.

Also might wanna check ur fuel takes 5 minutes with a fuel pressure gauge. so u can eliminate that
Old 06-01-2004, 12:05 AM

Thumbs up Thanks guys!

I knew someone had to have some idea for me...atleast to try something other than sitting here with my thumb somewhere.... appreciate the help guys, Ill check out your suggestions tonight and let everyone know what it is. If nothing works, Ill let ya know
Old 06-01-2004, 12:25 AM

i have a 93 Z and ihad the same problem as u. u need to take it all back apart. pay close attention to the dowel pin that comes from the camshaft to the opti. it has to be perfectly lined up, the pin will only go in 1 way into the cam, but anyway into the opti. if u look closely u will see a part inside the opti that looks like its missing a tooth, line the pin in the cam up with that u should be good to go. just be sure to plug the pcm plug back into the opti or it wont start lol....like i did =P. if u need some more help my aim s/n is v8pwrdz28.