LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Installed tranny cooler, walk through and commentary inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 10:41 AM

Thumbs up Installed tranny cooler, walk through and commentary inside.

Well I did the other night what I should have done a long time ago, knowing how weak these automatics are. I bought a B&M cooler from summit for $49. It's rated up to 24000lbs gross vehicle weight, so my tranny should stay nice and cool from now on

I referred to this page on Brent's site for some guidance- http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/94Z/trannycooler.htm

The page has some real good pics of what is going on under there, but I really didn't understand what I needed to do until I got the car up in the air and got under it. After you browse over the pics and get under the car it's really simple and straightforward. I left the stock cooler hooked up. The B&M cooler I got comes with all the accessories that I needed. The most time consuming part was actually mounting the cooler. It has a design diferent from that which is shown on the install link above. Basically you just push long wire tie looking things through your radiator and AC condenser, then put the spacer pads on the end of the ties, then hang your new cooler on them, and lastly put the retainer on the end and snug it up. I could not run the ties through the fins on my B&M, it had mounting plates at the top and bottom with some holes drilled for the ties to go though. Basically all I did was position the cooler how I wanted it, and tried to get a tie through to one of the top corner mounting holes. After I got that one through I measured over 7.5"(the width between the left and right mounting hole) positioned the tie at the same heighth as the other one and pushed it through. I got lucky and hit the position right on. At this point I had both the top ones done, I put the spacer pads between the radiator and trans cooler, hung the cooler, then put my retainers on the end and pulled the down snug. After this you can repeat that process for the bottom two mounting holes. If I had a hayden trans cooler like what is shown in the link this would be a little easier, I wouldn't have to hit any certain mounting holes, as you can just run the ties through that cooler like you can the radiator. The B&M looks to be more compact than the cooler shown on the link.

As for connecting the hoses, it is the simplest part. I connected the top hose first, and ran it though a crevice at the bottom passenger side of the radiator. There is enough room to run your to and return line through. After this, just follow the instructions on the install link and you're good to go!!!

All in all this took about an hour to do. This was the first time I've attempted a trans cooler install. This is probably the easiest thing I've done to the car aside from the CAI and driveshaft swap.

John
Old 03-23-2003, 10:49 AM

sounds good. I know I need to get one I reach 180ish in the city.
Old 03-23-2003, 11:04 AM

Sweet. Looks like a good, easy mod for us auto folks. Good write up as well. Later.

Bo
Old 03-23-2003, 11:12 AM

I'll be putting the same cooler in my Z today.
Old 03-24-2003, 10:17 PM

After driving it for a few days I've got some more thoughts. The car did shift firmer when it was cold than when it was nice and warm. Now it shifts firmer all the time. That cooler must really be doing it's job keeping the temp down!! I just wish I had a temp guage on there before and after to see what the diference is.

Also my buddy that helped me with the cooler install has a TT supra...... He just happened to have a cooler to install on his as well, it was a hayden cooler. We did his the night after mine. Mine was easier to do

John
Old 03-24-2003, 11:40 PM

dude, what's the part number for that tranny cooler?? i really wanna buy one...thanks
Old 03-25-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by 2CNTRY
Word of warning: make certain your clamps are tightened well on the cooler. Mine apparently weren't and the pressure pushed the hose off of one of the inlets of the cooler and dumped all my fluid. In a week or two, double check those clamped hoses and make sure they are real tight.
I'll get under there today if I have time. Thanks for the heads up!!

Originally posted by TMDZ28
dude, what's the part number for that tranny cooler?? i really wanna buy one...thanks
Call summit at 1-800-230-3030. The part number is BMM-70264.

John
Old 03-25-2003, 08:28 AM

Red face

It wasn't hard getting those ties through the cooler, radiator & condensor? That part really sucked for me..
Old 03-25-2003, 09:36 AM

Just did that same mod on mine. Well worth the time and money, they say every 20 degrees cooler doubles fluid a tranny life. I don't know about all that but a good $50 dollar mod for all of us autos.