LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Installing Jet-Hot long tubes: couple tech Q's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 01:02 AM

Question Installing Jet-Hot long tubes: couple tech Q's

The title says it all. Here are my questions.

1. The freakin air tube connector is smaller than the female threads on the headers. I found out the 97 Camaro uses a smaller diametre tube than previous models. The local dealerships don't stock the tubes either. Where can I get an adapter to cure this?

2. I ordered Stage 8 header bolts.... and found out they won't be in for several days. If I install the headers with different bolts, can I change those out for the Stage 8's later w/o having to change the header gasket?

3. What's the best way to remove the stock exhaust manifold bolts without breaking one off in the head. This is my biggest fear of the whole install!! Any tricks or suggestions would be nice. (I do have PB Penetrating oil. I sprayed the air injector tubes and Y-pipe bolts with this today. I didn't spray the manifold bolts....because I'm not sure what adverse effects it would have on the spark plugs/ wires.)

4. The driver's side header is in two pieces. Should I coat the inside of the slip fit connectors with copper RTV to seal, or just seat the header pipes together?

5.. Any other suggestions to help keep my sanity?

I know it's a lot of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated though. Thanks in advance.

Schantin
1997 Camaro Z28
Old 09-13-2003, 01:23 AM

Re: Installing Jet-Hot long tubes: couple tech Q's

Originally posted by Schantin
The title says it all. Here are my questions.

1. The freakin air tube connector is smaller than the female threads on the headers. I found out the 97 Camaro uses a smaller diametre tube than previous models. The local dealerships don't stock the tubes either. Where can I get an adapter to cure this?

2. I ordered Stage 8 header bolts.... and found out they won't be in for several days. If I install the headers with different bolts, can I change those out for the Stage 8's later w/o having to change the header gasket?

3. What's the best way to remove the stock exhaust manifold bolts without breaking one off in the head. This is my biggest fear of the whole install!! Any tricks or suggestions would be nice. (I do have PB Penetrating oil. I sprayed the air injector tubes and Y-pipe bolts with this today. I didn't spray the manifold bolts....because I'm not sure what adverse effects it would have on the spark plugs/ wires.)

4. The driver's side header is in two pieces. Should I coat the inside of the slip fit connectors with copper RTV to seal, or just seat the header pipes together?

5.. Any other suggestions to help keep my sanity?

I know it's a lot of questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated though. Thanks in advance.

Schantin
1997 Camaro Z28
1.) You can probably find an oil plug of equal size at any parts store that will suffice. M22 should be the proper size (not sure if the 97s are different though). Bring in the fitting and compare.

2.) You should be alright using the gasket again. Depending on how much you drive it, the gasket probably won't have time to break down and find a new permanent home cemented to the head or the header. A new set is only $20 if you're a little uneasy. Just don't break the gasket.

3.) Just remove them. When you pull them out, you'll notice that the factory used generous amounts of anti-seize. I guarantee you will be surprised when you break them loose, and how little effort is required. Just take your time, and you'll be fine.

4.) Use sensor-safe high-temperature silicone RTV on the slip-fit, and tighten down the band clamp. No leaks here, and they've been on for 2 years.

5.) Ask questions. Ask lots of questions. There's people on here that would have no problem helping you out with whatever you need. Search around, and you're bound to find it!

Good luck!
Old 09-13-2003, 05:38 AM

Hi Joe.

Anyway, If you are plugging the hole or even keeping the A.I.R., you need a special fitting. I could NOT find one at a hardware store. I had to go to a local hydraulic place that has aeroquip fittings and they cose $22 each, which after a letter to jet-hot, they reimbursed me for. Unfortunately I don't have the receipt, so I can't give you a size. Best bet is to bring the header with.

Agreed, gasket should be ok.

Manifold bolts are easy to remove(long as you have patience on first and last on passengers side( http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...hreadid=168920)

And I did NOT use any sealer on the slip tube. I actually had to lightly sand the flange to make it fit and lubed it with wd40. It seals up nicely once you run the car and no leaks. Most of that RTV will burn up at those temps anyway.